Rod Holders for Bass Boats

Stoty

I'm looking to setup my Nitro for Quinte trolling but am having a hard time deciding which is the best way to go to mount rod holders on my boat.

I've purchased a couple of the flush mounth Scotty holders, that I am debating mounting to the gunnel of the boat by drilling into the glass. But I've heard that the gel coat can spider crack if not done properly, so I'm nervous to drill.

I found some other mounts that you can attach directly to the rope cleats of the boat.

Extreme Fishing Concepts

No drilling or anything and they're easily removable. Only problem... they're like $80/each and I'd need 4...

Whereas the scotty's are $8, and I already have the actual "rod holder" portion so it would cost me $32 in total.

I've also heard that there are mounts you can use your seat holes to mount as well, but am having a hard time finding them online.

Has anyone done this type of thing, or have any other ideas?

I'd love to avoid having to drill into my boat, but can't really justify spending $350-400 on rod holders.

Any help is much appreciated.

Take an old pole and weld a flat plate on the top. Mount the scotty mounts to them with bolts and troll away. I have a double made up that go directly over the motor so turning is a breeze. You can fit 4 of them on a bigger plate just template it with rods in place so you can make room for the butts at the angle you want to set them at.

Art

Do you have any rails? If not have you considered adding them to your boat? Then you have lots of options for rod holders... And the rails are attached by small screws into the glass... Instead of drilling a big hole for Scotty's... They don't really get in the way either... Especially on a low profile bass boat... My brother has them in his ranger and we have Scotty mounts that are made for rails... You can even clamp on salties for musky fishing...

I've thought about track systems, but like you said pretty pricey.

I also dont know if I want the visual of tracks on the boat...and not sure about drilling them into the glass. If I'm gonna drill into the glass, then might as well just go with the Flush Scotty mounts. Cheap, small and out of the way and not an "eyesore" (for lack of better wording).

Mounting tracks on the deck is an option, but I wouldnt want them there all year round as they (might) get in the way and dont want to have to re-mount them each year.

To drill or not to drill..... :wallbash::dunno::wallbash:

I have rod holders mounted to my "Oh crap" rails on my Ranger. They work well, but the rails could be a little farther forward so the rods are easier to watch.

To drill into gel-coat, my understanding is the gel-cote should be broken by pressing the drill bit into it while turning in reverse, then you drill through the fiberglass to complete the hole.

I'm still wondering why you bought a bass boat.... tubing, trolling... what's next?

"Hey guys, I need something to store my scuba tanks..." LOL

Competitive Bass fisherman for most of the year....

Tube - wife's idea, def not mine.

Trolling - only for a few weeks in Nov/Dec, but 10lb+ Walleye are addictive just not as much as Bass

Plus... being able to fly down the lake at 70mph is a rush like no other!

can use your existing front and rear seat bases one for several rods and the front one for a planer board mast.

or as another alternative you mat be able to put some rod holders in the deck directly behind the seats i know i never stand in the front corners of the rear deck you can even get the height extenders for the scottys

I found this online last night... and think I am going to go this way... simple and cheap!

Holders1.jpg

I don't know about you, but I only fish with holders like that when fishing for marlin

use the same idea but mount real rod holders to it

so you can change the angle to suit the type of fishing