Sept 03 on the Grand.

BradMc76

Hey there. Just giving my little report on what happened today.

So, myself and my friend Bob, we hit the Grand River in York about 5:30 am. Fished a good while, but didn't hook a thing. I was getting frustrated, because I've never hit anything on the Grand River.

Anyway, at about 7:30, we decided it was time to try a different spot. We got back in the car, and headed down a lonely road. We spotted a guy standing in the water, flipping something....yellow. After a bit more of a tour, we headed back to find a way to talk to that guy.

100_8913.jpg

His name was Brady, and he was quite a decent fellow. I had my waders on, and trudged up to him. On my way there, he picked up 2 pretty little bass.

I introduced myself to him, and asked what he was throwing. He said "Jig head with a Mr. Twisty." I replied, "Pretend I'm new. What's a Mr. Twisty?"

He says to me "I'll do you one better, I'll give you one." And then he proceeds to set up a yellow jig head, and a clear yellow grub. I thank him, we chat, and we go our separate ways.

I go back to Bob to tell her what was said.....WHAM! I hit a fish. I got the camera out, but he was too slippery.

100_8915.jpg

So I explain the setup to her, and she doesn't have any in her kit. So I lend her mine, while I go back to the car and grab what I have that is close.

100_8914.jpg

There she is, using my setup. :)

Anyway, about an hour in, after catching a couple of tiny guys, I landed this puppy. I'm not sure what it is. Any help?

100_8918.jpg

Then, a dry spell. About 1 1/2 hours of not doing much but watching other people catch. There were a total of 5 of us in this little stretch.

Brady, kind man that he is, says he's doing pretty good up where he is, and for Bob and I to come up there. We didn't want to crowd, but he was leaving, so we meander our way over.

Brady and his friend are on the way out of the water, packing it in for the morning. Then....WHAM!!!! Caught a snag. But, wait! The snag is moving! Holy Halibut! I hooked a...a...MONSTER!

I've NEVER fought with anything this big before. I'm actually watching the fish RUN! And it's taking drag! That's NEVER happened to me before. Okay, Brad, calm down, it's not that big. It's just feisty. I pull, reel, pull and see this thing jump out of the water.

Oh.....My.....Lord. I've hooked the Grand River Monster. I can't believe I'm seeing this on the end of my line. Bob is watching with glee as I act like grade 5 boy after his first kiss. "Oh wow, crap, holy jeez, wow, ahhhh, it's moving, wow, it's huge, what???? wow!!!!"

Finally it gets tired and comes to me. I look eye to.....maw with this beast caught on my hook.

"Stick your thumb in it's mouth, and lift it up for a pic. Don't lift with the line."

"But...it's huge. It'll eat me!" I laugh.

Finally, I get the courage to put my thumb into a large mouth. Something I've never really willingly done before. Using more strength than I've ever used lifting a fish before, I pick this sucker out of the water. Well, it didn't like that! It started to twitch, and I freaked out!!!!

100_8916.jpg

After being made fun of getting the hook out, I stand, proud as punch, with the largest fish I have ever caught. I'm not lying when I say it was about 13" and about 2 lbs. Small to some, I know, but this is quite a step up from 4" perch and rock bass.

100_8917.jpg

Bob says it's one of the largest Smallmouth Bass she's ever seen. I just call it the reason I picked up a rod 5 years ago.

And that's my story. We packed it in not too long after, and headed for lunch. I'm home now, and wanted to inform you folks about it.

After 4 years of hearing rumours that there are apparently fish in the Grand River, I've finally dispelled them, and had the best time I've ever had standing in waist deep water.

Of course, it's not even 1 pm yet. There's still tonight to fish....and I've got a new weapon!

Oh, and we found this thing lying on a log in the middle of the river. We think it is...was a catfish. Big one, too.

100_8919.jpg

Edited by BradMc76

Thats not 13 inches, it looks more like a 16-17 inch fish to me!! WTG and congrats on your first big fish! More to come I'm sure! For me, the Grand never disappoints (for bass anyways, walleye is a completely different story).

Matt.

Well, for reference in the pic, I'm 6'2". It's quite possible that it was over 14 inches. All I know it was bloody huge, and I was giddy!

Haha, man, your story reminds me of last year when I caught my first smallmouth bass ever. Keep at it, you'll fight and catch (and likely sometimes lose) much bigger ones too. You've now entered the Personal Best territory. It gets addicting trying to one-up yourself. :)

Edited by Dana

hahaha, this report is awesome! Many thanks!

It put a smile on my face just because of how excited you are, and I feel excited for you!

Very nice smallmouth there, and as you learn a thing or two, youll absolutely catch much bigger bass, and have a great time doing it.

Thanks again dood, awesome catch, and awesome report!!!

thumbsup_anim.gif

Just wait sir. Once you learn the grand you'll be throwing those back without a picture, because your average size will go up, and up, and up as you learn. :)

Great job on the PB smallie and getting into some fish on a pressured stretch of ontario's greatest river. :)

You should pick up some spinners. Some panther martins or mepps sizes 1-3.

I cast them a little upstream and retrieve them.....speed of the retrieve depends on how deep i am fishing and how aggressive the fish are.

This is what panther martins look like

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImagePopup.jsp?productId=701945

These are mepps spinners

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImagePopup.jsp?productId=1291185&cImage=s7_129699_619_01

These are blue fox spinners.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/largeImagePopup.jsp?productId=701879&cImage=s7_110248_001_01

good luck