boat control when trolling solo

ch312

seeing as i've had a couple frustrating moments while fishing alone and setting lines (riggers, planer boards, dipsys), what are the methods you guys are using to make trolling as stress free as possible? is there anything i can do to help keep the boat tracking straight while setting lines, unhooking fish, etc?

it's a 17' g3 angler with bow mount, 90hp outboard, and no kicker.

Edited by ch312

101 lb Minn kota Terrova with I pilot..... set the "auto pilot" heading/speed.... problem solved :thumbsup_anim:

now, if you DON'T have an extra $1750 bucks laying around.... I would think maybe slowing the troll down / face the wind to get set up ... once set, get comfy and set trolling speed ??? Im not much help though, I dont troll often.

101 lb Minn kota Terrova with I pilot..... set the "auto pilot" heading/speed.... problem solved :thumbsup_anim:

now, if you DON'T have an extra $1750 bucks laying around.... I would think maybe slowing the troll down / face the wind to get set up ... once set, get comfy and set trolling speed ??? Im not much help though, I dont troll often.

geez, why do people insist on making me aware of these nice toys :D

seeing as we're pretty sure there's a bun in the oven ( :):D:good::canadian::clapping::thumbsup_anim:) and the money tree is a bit strained, how about some free/cheap solutions?

I rig alone often,I have a 17 lund tiller with an 80 yamaha.There is a lever on the motor that allows me to loosen or tighten the steering,when alone I set lines going with any wave action with the steering fairly tight.Once set I do loosen it a bit , not too much because if a rod goes off you need some boat control.Once you do it a few times you become a lot more comfortable going solo.I always make sure I have my PFD on and kill switch attached,good luck!

I fished a lot of years solo back in the old days when the rule was one rod, always prefered the fight from a stationary boat :thumbsup_anim: Run 2 rods when searching for fish, but if you get into fish good consider going to one rod, leave motor in gear till the rigger is cleared if down , then kill the motor :whistling: Sames a lot of agrivation trying to fight steer net and land a fish and maybe saves money on lost tackle and time from untangling a mess :wallbash:

seeing as i've had a couple frustrating moments while fishing alone and setting lines (riggers, planer boards, dipsys), what are the methods you guys are using to make trolling as stress free as possible? is there anything i can do to help keep the boat tracking straight while setting lines, unhooking fish, etc?

it's a 17' g3 angler with bow mount, 90hp outboard, and no kicker.

I replaced my helm because the original one tended to let the wheel turn when you let the steering wheel go due to the vibration on the motor. It would quickly start turning right and you had to keep adjusting your course. A major pain while trying to set riggers.

My original helm was one of THESE

I replaced it with one of THESE

The difference is the new one has a built in clutch that holds the wheel steady when you let go. Just get your course straight and go set lines. Wind will still blow you off course but life is much easier with the NFB helm. :good:

geez, why do people insist on making me aware of these nice toys :D

seeing as we're pretty sure there's a bun in the oven ( :):D:good::canadian::clapping::thumbsup_anim:) and the money tree is a bit strained, how about some free/cheap solutions?

haha Sorry, I just had to do it. This is my first year with mine and trolling with the I-pilot is awesome !

BUT .... I think an addition to the family trumps the addition to the boat any day ! Hopefully the "pretty sure" turns into a FORSURE ! Good luck with your up coming journey ! Its a wild/scary/amazing ride... I just did it March 27th !

you always wanna have the boat going as slow as possible not to slow but anough to were the boat is moving.

Nope. I've always found the exact opposite to be true. If anything, I'll throttle up a bit to get my lines set up, especially in a chop. Definitely easier/faster.