Walleyes

danc

I've been piecing together a few posts of my fly in adventure from last weekend. Here's the last chapter.

I know that a lot of you guys have posted stories and photos from fly in Walleye lakes. And I've seen some awesome reports. But how would you like to fly into a lake that is loaded with Walleye, that nobody else ever goes to? That's where we set up camp last weekend. It was a bit of a rude awakening for me when we first landed. We taxied up onto a huge sand bar and my first instructions were to strip off my pants and jump into the lake to help push the plane around. And it was cold out! The water was warmer than the air. In fact we had frost Saturday morning. We could only get the planes to within 30 or so yards from shore because of the shallow water. We found a narrow strip of sand that was just wide enough to set up our tents on and carried our gear to shore. I was wondering what I was getting myself into at this point. But these guys are hardcore. And I was loving it. After camp was set up, our next task was to trek a few hundred yards down the shoreline to retrieve a boat that was hidden in the woods. It was a water worthy Sears 10 foot gem. :whistling: Perfect for three big men. The two horse Suzuki was soon hooked up and out we went. Now this sand shelf that we pulled up on went out for about 75 to 100 yards. After that it dropped off to 18 to 20 feet. When you get out on the ledge, you are in Walleye heaven. Absolutely amazing fishing. Double and triple headers of 2 to 4 lb. fish. I didn't dare take my camera out in this shaky rig for fear of capsizing, so not a lot of photos in this report. But the fishing was so good that at supper time one guy would start frying the potatoes and onother guy would go out in the boat for 5 minutes and come back with 3 nice eaters. Just incredible. My biggest fish was about 8 lbs. Since I don't do a whole lot of Walleye fishing, it was my biggest one in many years and was a huge thrill for me. Thanks for reading, and please don't ask for the name of this lake. :unsure:

Beached plane.

bany1.jpg

Half hour of fishing.

bany4.jpg

And a nearby spring made for an excellent cooler!

albany10.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as how you will not say the name of the lake-would you consider the name of the outfitter that flew you out?

PLEASE (PM would suffice) worthy.gif

No outfitter used bigone. I went with a buddy that has been flying in the north for probably 30 years or more. When he told me the name of the lake we'd be camping at on this trip, I thought to myself "Damn. Why aren't we going to the same lake you took me to last time? It was awesome". Then he takes me to a lake that was even better than the last one. :dunno:

looks like an amazing place Dan. And I can imagine - only the sounds of nature and a night sky just wall to wall stars. Must have been fantastic. I can only dream of that type of get away.

3 men in a 10 foot Sears special, eh? - somehow I envision jigging was the preferred presentation as opposed to casting?

this part: But the fishing was so good that at supper time one guy would start frying the potatoes and onother guy would go out in the boat for 5 minutes and come back with 3 nice eaters awesome. talk abou afresh shore lunch.

No outfitter used bigone. I went with a buddy that has been flying in the north for probably 30 years or more. When he told me the name of the lake we'd be camping at on this trip, I thought to myself "Damn. Why aren't we going to the same lake you took me to last time? It was awesome". Then he takes me to a lake that was even better than the last one. dunno.gif

What a great guy to know. I hope the next lake is even better for you! (if possible-maybe a good pike lake or river!)

Seeing as how there are no cabins I doubt my 80 year old dad (my fishing buddy) would be able to do a trip like that anyway.

Tight lines