Considering a new ATV

captpierre

This atv is my first so I am not too worried about having every option on it. I actually bought it with my 76 year old Dad in mind. He can ride it while I walk this coming moose season. He probably won't care how the engine is fed gas either, as long as he doesn't have to walk 10 km a day to get to and from his hunting spot.

This atv is my first so I am not too worried about having every option on it. I actually bought it with my 76 year old Dad in mind. He can ride it while I walk this coming moose season. He probably won't care how the engine is fed gas either, as long as he doesn't have to walk 10 km a day to get to and from his hunting spot.

Spoke with a guy with an ATV club that trailers his carburated ATV to the trailhead. When it is very cold it won't start after trailering. Ices up I think.

He has to start it at home, and run it while trailering. Thought that was odd, but he said his next one will be fuel injected.

Yammys 550 and up are. Not sure why the 450 isn't. The Honda 420 is.

Fuel injection is great....as long as your battery is good.

Without a battery, your screwed!

At least with a carb, you can still pull start your bike and carry on. If for some reason your battery goes flat out in the bush, with a fuel injected bike, your done.

As much as i like the fuel injection for cold starts, there is nothing wrong with a well kept carbed bike. We have one of each at my workplace, and I've never had any trouble with either set up in cold weather.

S.

I actually bought it with my 76 year old Dad in mind. He can ride it while I walk this coming moose season. He probably won't care how the engine is fed gas either, as long as he doesn't have to walk 10 km a day to get to and from his hunting spot.

Yer a good son,Doug.

Nice buy,

When looking at the Honda model, it's only got 9.1 inches of clearance, that's with no one sitting on it. The Yamaha 550 is 2 inches higher. You'll find out the difference when you hit the first stump or obstruction how far the human body can go over the handlebars :stretcher: When it comes to ATV's, (as much as I like Honda/Yama/Suzuki/Kawa ) products, the Honda ATV's are a bit behind in technology. Some are still using carbs, low ground clearance, and electronic shift, marvellous when it gets wet, 'cause then it doesn't..shift. As far as the other granola wagons, Artic crud doesn't even make my interest meter blip, Boombardier and Poopoolaris are just that. Go with the Yama550