A bit of a rant here. Sorry...

The JAY

A very good friend of mine, who is not an avid fisherman by any stretch, are headed up to Lady Evelyn in a couple weeks, and he wanted to pick up some gear today. Okay, aside from CT, there are 2 tackle stores in the city that I know of. I favour one, but have bought stuff at the second. The second one is close to his house, so he decided to go there. He was looking to drop around $300. After standing at the counter for 25 minutes a guy came up and asked him if he needed help. My buddy explained that he was going up North for a week for eyes and pike and needed help selecting tackle. As the clerk was comming around the till another guy walked in the door, was greeted by name, and my buddy's clerk took off with the new arrival. After standing nearby for another 10 minutes or so, my friend say, "Guess you don't want my money" and started towards the door. As he's leaving he can hear one of the guys say, "What's his problem?"

Long story short, he went to my favourite tackle shop, spent more than he planned, got a great selection of tackle and a good grounding in how and when to use it.

As someone that has been in retail my whole life, I am appalled that some folks still run their businesses like this. (This isn't the first time I've heard similar stories about this place)

Here endeth the rant...

A very good friend of mine, who is not an avid fisherman by any stretch, are headed up to Lady Evelyn in a couple weeks, and he wanted to pick up some gear today. Okay, aside from CT, there are 2 tackle stores in the city that I know of. I favour one, but have bought stuff at the second. The second one is close to his house, so he decided to go there. He was looking to drop around $300. After standing at the counter for 25 minutes a guy came up and asked him if he needed help. My buddy explained that he was going up North for a week for eyes and pike and needed help selecting tackle. As the clerk was comming around the till another guy walked in the door, was greeted by name, and my buddy's clerk took off with the new arrival. After standing nearby for another 10 minutes or so, my friend say, "Guess you don't want my money" and started towards the door. As he's leaving he can hear one of the guys say, "What's his problem?"

Long story short, he went to my favourite tackle shop, spent more than he planned, got a great selection of tackle and a good grounding in how and when to use it.

As someone that has been in retail my whole life, I am appalled that some folks still run their businesses like this. (This isn't the first time I've heard similar stories about this place)

Here endeth the rant...

If only the owners could here that,I'm sure some changes would be in order! I would hope.

yer probably wise not to name it but I for one would love to know where NOT to go for tackle in the Hammer. Buddy's gonna be thinking about all the money he could have made over the long haul from your friend and kick his own ass.

I understand acknowledging regulars and friends but the shop dude obviously needs some help with his interpersonal business skills. Hell, if he were merely an employee, I'd be SOO tempted to go back to the shop and let the manager/boss know how much business he just lost because of the idiot.

I get nothing but abuse from the shops I frequent!

Steve at Lambeth Tackle once said to me "I knew it was you when the Bull detector went off" (the dog barking outside the store)

Jos at AO reminds me every chance he gets that I'm a "stupid muskie guy".

What makes these guys great is that they make you feel welcome in their own way but they are quick to lend assistance when an infrequent or new customer comes through the door.

I've been going to Angling Sport in London more often now because of the change in ownership. The previous owner was somewhat like you described in Hamilton. I have yet to achieve the same abusive relationship there. LOL

We're spoiled to have such good shops in the London area.

LOL, actually, my buddy is so laid back, he doesn't really care, especially after how well he was treated elsewhere. He just called to tell me that the place in question has 5000 rounds of ammunition on sale for one of his new guns, but he won't be buying it there... :whistling:

I get nothing but abuse from the shops I frequent!

Steve at Lambeth Tackle once said to me "I knew it was you when the Bull detector went off" (the dog barking outside the store)

Jos at AO reminds me every chance he gets that I'm a "stupid muskie guy".

What makes these guys great is that they make you feel welcome in their own way but they are quick to lend assistance when an infrequent or new customer comes through the door.

I've been going to Angling Sport in London more often now because of the change in ownership. The previous owner was somewhat like you described in Hamilton. I have yet to achieve the same abusive relationship there. LOL

We're spoiled to have such good shops in the London area.

good.gif

I often do the same with my regulars,Putting them on hold while i do a look-up.

"Sorry to keep you waiting, are you still on the line?" i say when i come back to the phine.

"Yes" he will say

"Oh damn!!!!" i say in a disappointed tonew00t.gif

It takes a special bond between a vendor and a regular customer, that keeps them coming back to an establishment.

Yup, you know know you've found a good store and staff when they throw small bits of abuse your way but loved to talk shop after they were done ;) Had that at one place in Toronto I liked going to (Skinners, the early days, not later yuppy incarnation). Keith was one guy who liked having some fun. Didn't see him much after he went to Pollacks.

I haven't been up on the mountain in a while and was wondering if Pro Gear was still around( not that I would shop there). I used to go to the store you like alot when I lived up there, but now that I live in Grimsby I have kinda been spoiled with Grimsby Tackle and Peter's in St. Catharines. As for the other store that your friend had the issue with I could of named the store before the ammo comment. I always felt awkward in there until I went with my neighbor who fished against the owners in tournaments. Now they recognize me and will say hi. I also know some others that work there that I knew before they worked there. But because of the way I was treated and felt before they knew who I was, I do tend to shop everywhere else first.

I don't buy a lot of tackle any more. I don't fish near as much as I once did, and I have more than enough gear as it is.

That said, I still make a point of visiting Burns Fishing, on Plains Road in Burlington, every now and then, just to talk with owner Steve Burns, and I always wind up buying some more stuff I really don't need. Steve is one of those rare gems who is a truly professional retailer. By professional, I mean he has stuff in stock when you need it, and is someone who realizes that long-term relationships are what keeps his business afloat. Many times I've seen him talk customers into buying less expensive equipment that was actually better suited to what they needed. People appreciate his honesty, and when the time to upgrade comes, they always return. Beyond that, Steve really knows his stuff, and he's a gentleman to deal with. Always.

Burns Fishing is not the cheapest store in town, but his pricing is fair, and he treats every customer like they were a member of his own family. You can certainly pay more elsewhere, but you cannot get better service.

When you find a dealer like that, you have won the lottery. They make up for the idiots that are all too common in the fishing business.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

As he's leaving he can hear one of the guys say, "What's his problem?"

The only reason I go there is to get leaches (only place close that stocks them), otherwise I always thought they were the asses lol...

Burt :)

when i get into winnipeg i always go to pro-am tackle while the wife shops for her clothes. Bob, the owner always asks how things are going in red lake and asks about the fishing and how i've made out so far, he also realizes that since i've come from a 7 hour drive that he can give me a discount on items . i appreciate his business ethic and so far i've got my i-pilot motor there, a humminbird depth finder and my latest was an abu revo reel.

there's nothing like being remembered by the sales people that brings you back.

congrats?

Thanks. I dont need a high school aged, pimpled faced, minimum wage kid to tell me what I need to catch fish. When I go to a tackle store I know what I want, and I'm not looking for advice from someone trying to subsidise his baby sitting job. Works for me.

Thanks. I dont need a high school aged, pimpled faced, minimum wage kid to tell me what I need to catch fish. When I go to a tackle store I know what I want, and I'm not looking for advice from someone trying to subsidise his baby sitting job. Works for me.

And you're a mod? Have some respect for those that have a career in retail sales. Better yet, put yourself in the position of someone that doesn't think he knows it all and is seeking assistance.

Your first comment added nothing to this thread and your second it just offensive.

Okay?????

Like Craig I don't fish anywhere near as much as I did but still buy stuff that I don't need at places I like to stop in. I guess for me the personal touch and greeting says a lot and having someone with a little knowledge to lean on goes a long way.

Well, except for DanC who totally missed the point of the post, thanks everyone for the comments, both public and PM's. I should point out, for those that weren't able to figure it out, my buddy got GREAT service at Bill's Bait, up here on the Mounatain in the Hammer.

Greg and Tim always go out of their way to help someone out, no matter the total of their purchase. Greg went as far as to become a distributor for a new fly gear company, just on a conversation I had about getting a new fly outfit from this company. He liked the look of their product, liked how enthusiastic I was, and ordered in some outfits from them. I'm in there at least once a week, and always drop a few bucks at least (Tying flies you are always running out of something or other).

I agree with The Jay a whole bunch. Crappy service can ruin your day not to mention wasting your time. I will make my feelings know and I will take things up the ladder until someone acknowledges the wrong. I'll also go out of my way to reward excellence. A letter may well go on their record whereas a comment may be forgotten quickly.

It's nice to "make a friend" while shopping for something you enjoy. You can tell whether or not it's Bull or real enthusiasm. A good sales associate can always tell when someone just wants to be left alone.

In defense of the pimpley face kid from crappy tire, he's been put there by supervision and most likely without much training. Granted some don't deserve a job but there is a door at the front of the door and you can leave and go elsewhere. You can rant, beat on, jump up and down but some will never get the big picture, they continue to breath and take up space but little else.

The less guys that come up to me and ask can I help you?, the better.

I understand what you are saying. Bought most of the stuff 20-30 yrs. ago and i still have too much. Usually will just say no thanks. If i can't find something at BPS or Sail will ask but they usually have less of a clue, or don't fish. Knowing what i want beforehand saves time and money.