Steelhead Opener Report

ccmtcanada

Well, as most of you know, bly and I started targeting steelhead this spring. We've been relegated to south of the CN tracks like everyone else...but we were able to practise...and it came in handy today.

Before I go on...I'd like to thank Basskicker for showing me a great out of the way trib. The last thing we wanted was an opener where there are tons of people...shoulder to shoulder. This is a little scenery of where we were...we saw maybe 5 people all day long....it was a very peaceful day...just us and the fish! We talked a few guys who said that the "usual" opening spots in the east tribs were literally PACKED!!

gallery_60_23_9811.jpg

We started drifting before sunrise...and the action was hot...well...not for big fish, but we landed about 6 of these...you know...practice for the bigger fish later!!! We hope....LOL.

gallery_60_23_5873.jpg

Once the sun came up, I had a nice fish on!!! Carole unfortunately was on the other side of the creek....with....you guessed it...the camera....LOL. It was a nice 26" male. I wanted to get the guy back in the water ASAP...so no picture. You all believe me right??? LOL.

Anyhow, I lost a few fish in the next half hour....one of them took a nice black jig I was using. I could see the fish still in the hole...with my black jig on the outside of his mouth...haha. I was hoping to catch him so I could retrieve it, but it wasn't to be.

Finally, I landed this nice 24" male. It had awesome colours....just had to take a pic....

gallery_60_23_96288.jpg

Next...it was bly's turn...she had a HUGE male on her line...the fight went on for about 10 minutes. I was standing at the ready with the net. It bolted from logpile to logpile....tearing off tons of drag. It was an exciting fight! Finally, the fish wrapped the line around a log and snapped the leader.

She was not to be outdone...a few minutes later, she landed this really really beat up fish! We were surprised the thing was even alive...but alas it was, and was on it's merry way after a quick picture.

gallery_60_23_24425.jpg

We then took a lunch break...had our sandwiches and chips on the side of the bank...enjoying the sound of running water and birds chirping.

That afternoon, after a LOT of exploring holes, we found a few fish hanging around a pile of logs....bly took a pic of one of them....

gallery_60_23_76858.jpg

A few minutes later, I landed this scrappy male.

gallery_60_23_112597.jpg

A little while later, bly landed this nice one...another 24" male.

gallery_60_23_133864.jpg

We had a great time out there....even if it was catching little guys like this one....

med_gallery_60_23_51380.jpg

So...now...what went wrong today? Well, about 10 minutes into drifting in the dark, I had a snag...when I was trying to free it, I snapped about a foot off my noodle rod!!! Bly tripped on a log while walking from hole to hole and ended up injuring her knee....it swelled right up, but she was a trooper and continued on fishing. Hmmm...what else....here a picture of bly balancing on a log across the creek to unsnag me from a tree....LOL

gallery_60_23_66862.jpg

We saw lot of spawning females....so whenever we saw them in the riffles with a male close by, we left them alone to do their thing....we want lots of fish to catch next year...and the year after that....

Anyways...our results may not compare to others for openers, but it was an amazing first opener experience for us. It's our 7th wedding anniversary weekend....and quite frankly, we couldn't have imagined a better way to celebrate then the two of us out there, fishing together...as a team!

So...for little fish...we caught about 6....for bigger ones I went 3 for 5 and bly went 2 for 3....our best single day haul of steelhead!

Sorry for the long post...but I wanted to do the day justice.

Edited by ccmtcanada

Is it just my imagination or are the fish Bly is holding so much bigger than those in the other pictures. Sure is nice to find those little out-of-the-way places and have some great success. Nice report and pics folks. From your other reports I've seen ... I'd expect nothing less. Congrats !

Congrats on the great opening day. I ended up taking the kayak to Kelso for 3hrs from noon to 3pm. All I caught was 6" perch. Had the whole lake to myself except for a couple of shore anglers though. The beauty of this park is offset by the racket of the 401. So far I caught carp while trying for crappie and perch while trying for trout. Can't wait to see what I catch on pike opener.

I've been waiting to see this report all day. I'm impressed Cliff.....Bly and yourself did extremely well. I'm glad you enjoyed the scenery and caught quite a few fish.....I'm really glad that you didn't run into alot of people up there. It's a totally different way of fishing up that way.....you did battle and seemed to have come out on top.....must of been some extreme teamwork going on to land those fish in that jungle. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Jason

Wow, what a great report. You two never cease to amaze me. Its nice to see another couple that fishes together.

Congrats on the fish and a big congrats on your anniversary. May there be many more. As they say, the couple that plays together, stays together :thumbsup_anim:

Joey

Three cheers for team "STEEL EYES"

You two are the best hope to see you soon . what a day you had nice fish, nice weather and most of all nice time together .

I didn't fail to notice who again caught the biggest fish , :worthy:

Edited by ALEX

Is it just my imagination or are the fish Bly is holding so much bigger than those in the other pictures.

LOL...thanks for noticing Rich!!! She does that in almost every outing we have anyways..thanks for pointing that out for everyone though....haha :lol:

I've been waiting to see this report all day. I'm impressed Cliff.....Bly and yourself did extremely well. I'm glad you enjoyed the scenery and caught quite a few fish.....I'm really glad that you didn't run into alot of people up there. It's a totally different way of fishing up that way.....you did battle and seemed to have come out on top.....must of been some extreme teamwork going on to land those fish in that jungle. :worthy::worthy::worthy:

Jason

Thanks again Jason...we had a blast out there! As far as teamwork is concernced, we actually had a little system that worked well...most of the holes were too small for 2 ppl to drift, so we'd take turns. A few of our fish were caught by one of us drifting , and the other looking at the fish and them know when it took the bait...they were hitting so lightly and the current was so slow that they float didn't even go down!! It was pretty funny...."ok...good line...getting close....it's mouth just opened....took the bait....closed mouth...SET THE HOOK!!!" LOL.

Great report and pics!!!

I noticed that Bly's fish were bigger too, but I wasn't going to say anything. :whistling:

Whenever I take Ol' Yeller, she doesn't usually catch bigger fish than me... be she always gets on the board first and will bury me in numbers if I'm not careful!

Nice job guuys. I though i recognized you from somewhere. I was the one who was fishing under the bridge for the most part and then I walk down to the pool that ccm was fishing. Did you guys end up goiing anywhere else?? right after you left that hole i managed to get a nice male from under the logs. Ill be back there today so I hope to see you around.

Edited by fishnpro

Troupers man I tell ya. Im happy you got some action. Bly sorry about the knee, sacrifices pain and work, all this just to have a little fun. To me its always worth it. Take another look at those great pictures, in 40 years you will be happy you could even balance that good. lol