Pulled Pork on the Big Green Egg

Pikeslayer8

I did a pulled pork cookout this past weekend. I thought that it turned out great. thumbsup_anim.gif I smoked 30# of pork shoulder.

First, I washed the pork well.

DSC00716.jpg

Then I applied my homemade rub all over.

DSC00717.jpg

On the Egg in a large rack for smoking.

DSC00718.jpg

14 hours later, I took it off

DSC00719.jpg

I double wrapped in foil and put it in a cooler to rest for another hour or so. Even made myself a foil hat, shiny side out. cool.gif

DSC00720.jpg

After all that, I unwrapped the foil and pulled all the pork and worked on sauces. I started with making a North Carolina sauce that I regularly make for this. It consists of white vinegar, cider vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper and brown sugar. I thought that I could do better so I made a Memphis BBQ sauce consisting of a lot of ketchup and cheap store bought bbq sauce, lots of onion, minced fresh garlic, red wine vinegar and brown sugar. I began testing these sauces on pork and I thought that they were OK but when I tried them together, man that was a winner. So I combined both sauces and yep it was good. rolleyes.gif I now call this concoction Colorado Sauce!

DSC00721.jpg

I only put coleslaw on just two of my sandwiches for the picture. After, I put slaw on the third.

Thanks for watchin! clapping.gif

Ok now I am going crazy lol. The salmon looked amazing, this looks super amazing lol.

I like that you didn't over sauce the pork just enough to give it the flavor. Pulled pork is one of my favourote foods and that looks better then any of those over sauced pulled pork sandwiches. Coleslaw is amazing on them as well but it isn't a very common thing here in Canada.

Thanks for teasing, I mean sharing lol

Ok now I am going crazy lol. The salmon looked amazing, this looks super amazing lol.

I like that you didn't over sauce the pork just enough to give it the flavor. Pulled pork is one of my favourote foods and that looks better then any of those over sauced pulled pork sandwiches. Coleslaw is amazing on them as well but it isn't a very common thing here in Canada.

Thanks for teasing, I mean sharing lol

Thanks Chris, that's really funny.

You are so right about over-saucing the meat. When I was working on the sauces, I just thought that I would just serve it on-side. After my test pork, I changed my mind.

Also very interesting that Canadians aren't accustomed to having coleslaw on there pulled pork. I just gotta say, try it ya might like it.

I feel that the slaw is extra good on smoked pork. dry.gif

Thanks Chris, that's really funny.

You are so right about over-saucing the meat. When I was working on the sauces, I just thought that I would just serve it on-side. After my test pork, I changed my mind.

Also very interesting that Canadians aren't accustomed to having coleslaw on there pulled pork. I just gotta say, try it ya might like it.

I feel that the slaw is extra good on smoked pork. dry.gif

I agree about the slaw on pulled pork. As many other sandwiches. When ever I was at my families States side we would go out for dinner and I would get the slaw on my snadwiches I began to love it from that. Now I make alot of sandwiches with it on . I make my slaw with more pepper though, I love black pepper.

Going to have to make a trip to the St Lawrence Market for some pulled pork now. Although it is quite good, I doubt that it would even come close to what you have make there. Yours looks awesome!!!

Thank 4x4 and Millhouse! thumbsup_anim.gif

Thanks Sled! Are ya gonna make some or get er pre-made?

Try the slaw.

I would bet that HeadHunter's bro makes some wicked pork as well. Wish I could have tasted his.

Thanks Sled! Are ya gonna make some or get er pre-made?

Try the slaw.

I would bet that HeadHunter's bro makes some wicked pork as well. Wish I could have tasted his.

There is a butcher place there that sells pulled pork wraps with the coleslaw on them. Very good for a quick lunch. Joe's brother makes an incredible pulled pork. Maybe we should have an OFC fishing and BBQ day, bet the food would be pretty damn good, maybe just skip the fishing and go right for the grub. :canadian:

There is a butcher place there that sells pulled pork wraps with the coleslaw on them. Very good for a quick lunch. Joe's brother makes an incredible pulled pork. Maybe we should have an OFC fishing and BBQ day, bet the food would be pretty damn good, maybe just skip the fishing and go right for the grub. :canadian:

Nice, I tell ya what, I would love to make a OFC get-together.

I heard from HH and he sent me these two pics from his brother's pork cookout.

PulledPork21.jpg

Here is Joe's brother with his cook in process! Note how cool his Egg table is. According to Joe he made it himself. It also has two warming drawers and a four burner stove top.

PulledPork-50lbs2.jpg

Ok,that looks toooooooooo good.

Where do I get one of those egg thingys?

I am not a big fan of pulled pork,but I strongly believe it,s do to over saucing the meat.Going to try it. Make my own. Slaw on any bunned meat,is a no brainer. Love slaw on anything with a bun.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for doing that Bill! Gotta try making some of that Carolina sauce myself... and the boys who partake in our Weekend at Bernie's, this September will be munching on left over pulled pork!

HH

Weekend at Bernie's clapping.gifclapping.gif

Ok,that looks toooooooooo good.

Where do I get one of those egg thingys?

I am not a big fan of pulled pork,but I strongly believe it,s do to over saucing the meat.Going to try it. Make my own. Slaw on any bunned meat,is a no brainer. Love slaw on anything with a bun.

Thanks for sharing.

It was kinda funny, Misfish, I had to go to a birthday party on Saturday just after I got done with my cook. It was for a good friend on my son's who just turned 18. Unbeknownst to me, his dad was serving pulled pork at this party. Well, I brought a big bag of mine for their son who was just thrilled. He has always been a big fan of my cooking and eats at my house regularly over the years. When I sat down with his parents to eat, I had a hard time getting his pork down. It was bland and oversauced. I did say that it was better than mine, however. whistling.gif Wasn't

Looks really good! Those eggs are dang expensive though! Did you just use it as a regular charcoal BBQ or can it be used as a smoker too??

That's the beauty of it Logic. You can use wood chips and smoke things or just use the lump charcoal and grill stuff at whatever temp you so choose. Nothing better than a steak thrown on at 700* and have a nice char on the outside and rare in the middle. good.gif

Last I saw the eggs were in the $600.00 range.Maybe I'm wrong but that meal sure looks good. Can you use these propane/charcoal/obviously smoking?. Might be a nice investment:clapping:

600$ might be a little on the low side. I paid 700$ for mine in 2004. I do think that some of the knockoff versions are just as good and in some ways can be better. The key is the shape of the grill/smoker.

I will say that, that 700$ is one of the better 700$ that I have ever spent. thumbsup_anim.gif

Great job PS8, looks real goooood! A friend got a Big Green Egg in the spring and is going to do a butt in the near future. When I send him this thread I'm sure it will get him motivated. Did you monitor the internal temperature of the Butts if so at what temperature did you aim for? When I do mine I aim for 195 F.

Great job PS8, looks real goooood! A friend got a Big Green Egg in the spring and is going to do a butt in the near future. When I send him this thread I'm sure it will get him motivated. Did you monitor the internal temperature of the Butts if so at what temperature did you aim for? When I do mine I aim for 195 F.

Thanks for the kind words IFH.

Yea, I used to use a thermometer. After a while, you just know when it's done and I quit using them pretty much for anything. I learned to trust the clock and grill thermometer more so than an internal thermometer. So many cuts of meat you can probe and depending on where you insert the thermometer, can get a different reading. wallbash.gif

I think that when I did use one, I shot for 185*.

Awesome!!!

You must be my long lost brother or something.... I do it just about the same way (except I've got a WSM).

Love it with the slaw on top too! I am even leaner on the sauce though, just a touch of some HOT Carolina red...

IMG_1054.jpg

Burt :)

Looks fantastic as usual!

Thanks Mike. thumbsup_anim.gif

Awesome!!!

You must be my long lost brother or something.... I do it just about the same way (except I've got a WSM).

Love it with the slaw on top too! I am even leaner on the sauce though, just a touch of some HOT Carolina red...

IMG_1054.jpg

Burt :)

Brother Burt. So nice to reconnect. Lol.

Is that a focaccia bun you got going there. Really nice form. clapping.gifclapping.gifWhat do ya got on the side of your sandwich. Sure looks good.

Try that Colorado sauce I came up with, I'd bet you will like it.

Brother Bill

Thanks Mike. thumbsup_anim.gif

Brother Burt. So nice to reconnect. Lol.

Is that a focaccia bun you got going there. Really nice form. clapping.gifclapping.gifWhat do ya got on the side of your sandwich. Sure looks good.

Try that Colorado sauce I came up with, I'd bet you will like it.

Brother Bill

Hi Brother Bill,

That is an onion bun, I like them better than the plain rolls..... on the side looks like a couple of back ribs, some pasta and ceasar salad. I don't really remember but I am sure it was washed down with a lot of beer....

I am going to try my brothers Colorado sauce next time for sure!!

Brother Burt :)

Not to take anything away from the Green Egg masterpiece, but if you want to try a good recipe in a regular oven, travel here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/pulled-pork-sandwiches-recipe/index.html

It is from one of Guy Fiori's "Guy's Big Bite" shows - I have done this recipe twice (takes about 12 hours) and cooked baked beans at the same time (roughly same oven temperature) and the results have been excellent. Includes your rub recipe, mop sauce recipe, coleslaw recipe etc.

Just an aside - those Bush's beans were on sale at Walmart so got a small tin as some folks have raved about them here - figured how bad could they be. To them I say, learn a good home made bean recipe. Bush's are not even as good as the Libby's used to be before a large company bought them out.

Edited by blue pickeral