what line to use?

motv8tr

Hey all, I am taking two young fellas with me when I go to Lakair next week. I bought them their fishing rods about 4 yrs ago and have decided to re-spool their reels. Any suggestions as to what to use? I was thinking either 6 or 8lb test, but should I go with mono or??? Here they mostly fish Sturgeon lake or on a rare occasion Simcoe, but after Lakair they will be camping for a few days and will be fishing from shore on the St. Lawrence I'm told, so I want something with a bit of strength and is durable.

Thanks

Maureen

How young are the young fellas....

I used 8lb mono for everything till I was better at handling my tackle... Then I switched to braid... Mono is easy to handle... Easy to tie.... Easy to cut.... And cheap...

If "I" were to set up a rod to "do it all" it would probably be 30lb power pro....

Edited by Musky Mike

I would go with braid. More durable and will last longer. The only problem is cutting it.

Bring nail clippers with you, I keep a pair in my tackle box and they work fine for cutting braid. I'm using 8 lb Power Pro and haven't had any problems.

Yeah, kind of you to do this for them, Moe. As others have said, mono in 6-8 or even 10lbs would be the best option. We shouldn't be 'dumbing' them down because they're young...youngsters learn quickly. I've been fishing for 60 years and if I could only have one outfit, that's what I'd spool it with. Don't go the fringe brands either. As much as Berkley is not my favorite company, Trilene is a good choice in either XT or XL.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll go with the 10lb Trilene....Sat. is going to be a good day, the boys don't know I'm coming to take them to Bass Pro shops...they won't find out until I show up at their door and tell them to go get their reels....they are so excitable it's fun to watch their reactions :)

Maureen