Berkley Gulp Minnows

4x4bassin

I'm sure almost everyone here has used these things with mixed results and I never really had much luck with them untill I discovered that the lake trout in one of the lakes I fish absolutely love these things , anyways I had 4 packs left in my bag and on the weekend when I went to use them the minnows inside the pouches had all melted/disintegrated :dunno: Has this ever happened to anyone else here ?

I have been using these minnows for awhile now and this has never happened before , I have used them in sun,cold,rain and no problems untill now !

I was going to call/email Berkley but I thought I would start here.

I've found the GULP! products not to be storage friendly. If any of that smelly liquid leaks into your bag, game over. You basically would need to place the bag in another zip-loc bag or to be really, safe, double bag the zip-loc. Some of my bags smell so bad that I've pitched it altogether. lol They work really well and fish seem to devour it without any hesitation.

I have reasonably success using them for Walleye.

As for melting, did you happen to put any other type of plastic with them??

I've only had them dry up myself. I'd email Pure Fishing and see if they can help you out.

I have THROTTLED fish with live bait and tried GULP minnows....waste of money IMHO.......have yet to catch ANYTHING on these.....

These were caught one after another on real minnows......so I tried GULP minnows....NOTHING ! ! !

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=62142&st=0

SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR REAL BAIT.......

Bob

I'm sure almost everyone here has used these things with mixed results and I never really had much luck with them untill I discovered that the lake trout in one of the lakes I fish absolutely love these things , anyways I had 4 packs left in my bag and on the weekend when I went to use them the minnows inside the pouches had all melted/disintegrated :dunno: Has this ever happened to anyone else here ?

I have been using these minnows for awhile now and this has never happened before , I have used them in sun,cold,rain and no problems untill now !

I was going to call/email Berkley but I thought I would start here.

I have had the berkley worms melt-disinigrate in a sealed bag last year.

Edited by gaspumper

ive had reasonable success with them. keeping them moving helps and you have to be pretty attentive to the rod.

as for storage they harden into concrete when left on the hook...i repackage into small mason jars and keep them upright, easy to remove without dunking.

what is amazing is the liquid that gets on everything thru plastic does almost the same, the jar is always slick with the oily substance on the outside, like it has wicked or condensed. all impossible the point being i dont know how you can store these things without getting some oil around.

Never tried them... Anything with liquid fish-juice is dangerous for me to own. I'd spill it somehow... I already have enough random crows eating out of the back of my truck as it is.

I suspect salted minnows work better anway.... Although that could be what the crowes are eating come to think of it.

I have THROTTLED fish with live bait and tried GULP minnows....waste of money IMHO.......have yet to catch ANYTHING on these.....

These were caught one after another on real minnows......so I tried GULP minnows....NOTHING ! ! !

http://ontariofishin...opic=62142&st=0

SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR REAL BAIT.......

Bob

Same with me.

The last time I went out to perch Eerie I could not find any minnows. The last place I went had the Gulp on sale so got that.

A 1/2 day of fishing without a bite I went back to the dock and started begging some boaters. Went out to the same spot and picked up dinner (about 10 fish) in just over an hour.

Now that I'm not on my phone I'll add:

I have no clue why they would do what you describe. :dunno:

I use Gulp and Gulp Alive a lot and love it, haven't bought bait in 7-10 years. The only thing they've ever done is dry up into a small, hard version of the original. Almost like the kids toys that "grow" in a bowl of water.

I'll be interested to see what else people have to say.

Been using them since they first came out. Exposed em to winter in garage and summer in high heat with no big changes to them. I think the cold temps do cause em ripple a bit though.

Bass and trout love em. I like them because they stay postioned on the hook well for casting and dont tear easy. Have caught as many as three fish off the same one. Do that with ur live minners.

I bought a bag about 3 month ago they are biodegradable so will dry up and eventually brake down if left out in the open.

I don't use them much, only ever caught one crappie with it, but small fish go after them too, it's funny to see a fish 4" fish try to attack them.

I love Gulp, use it all the time. It's deadly on walleye and smallmouth, especially in summer when it almost impossible to keep minnows alive.

I had the same thing happen to me last season. 2 packs turned into gulp goo. I figured it was from the extreme heat of baking in the hot sun for a few days but not really sure.

Never checked, but do the packages have an expiry date on them?

Did any water get into the bag?

Since they're biodegradable, maybe the recipe portions got mixed up and more of those chemicals got added.

It's amazing how some can love a product and others curse it...lol

I think the key to using artificial baits over live is knowing when to use it...

Personally... I use gulp products on moderately aggressive presentations....

When it super cold I like live bait....

When it's really warm... I like hard baits...

For the in between temps I like gulp....

Haven't put a worm on a walleye spinner in years.... Use gulp and catch more fish too... Don't have to worry obout losing your bait as much...

I've had Gulp products dry up on me, but not melt. However, Trigger X I have had that problem. I checked my Trigger X twisters in the spring and noticed alot of them were disintegrating. And they were never opened!

I've bought alot of various Gulp! products and I've only had the melting issue once or twice. I've had them dry up on my occasionally but thats because I forgot to reseal one of the bags (I use the Gulp bag and a Ziplock).

I really like a few baits, others I've tried and moved on. I really like the 2.5", 3" and 4" minnows, especially in black shad or emerald shiner. I also love the nightcrawlers for spinnerbaits/walleye fishing, then I choose either black or natural.

It is funny how some people love them and others hate em

For me, I choose to hate Trigger X plastics, more specifically the paddletail minnows