Wire trolling setups

bucktail

Just putting together a wire lie trolling setup tonight?

UI have a few questions hopefully someone can answer.

1. How much wire on the setup, i have a 1000ft spool do put it all or is 500ft blus 65 pound PP backing enough.

2. Is it only use for dipsey setups or can I use it for other setups.

3. Can you use it with normal guides and roller tip top or do all of them have to be roller guides.

4. drag settings, I assume very light due to the weight of wire and no stretch.

4. Flouro leader or straight to the dipsey ok?

Thanks Guys

darren

You really should join spoonpullers Darren if your serious about LO salmon. All the answers are readily available in detailed forums/sub forums. You may also want join Lake Ontario United. I'd post the links but I think that might be disrespectful here.

There is a ton of information. You just need to look for it.

Good luck,

Simon

You really should join spoonpullers Darren if your serious about LO salmon. All the answers are readily available in detailed forums/sub forums. You may also want join Lake Ontario United. I'd post the links but I think that might be disrespectful here.

Good luck,

Simon

X2.

cant say I agree with that Bill. A big king running and peeling the line out on any set up is a thrill, and a work out - but each to his own.

The running is the fun part, it's the reeling in on a wire setup that sucks. But don't listen to me, try it for yourself, lol.

Use this knot to tie your 7 strand wire to your big swivel.

http://www.lotsa.org/Wire%20Line%20Knot.htm

If you choose to go with a rod with roller guides put a big giant bead on the wire before the knot and always reel the bead tight to the rod tip. This will keep the wire tight. Wire line that is not kept tight will be a nightmare. It will twist and kink and you will lose fish and equipment because of it.

I have not had one issue with my wire because of the bead. I must give credit to Pat Kirby from Tall Tales in Cambridge for showing me this trick.

Just putting together a wire lie trolling setup tonight?

UI have a few questions hopefully someone can answer.

1. How much wire on the setup, i have a 1000ft spool do put it all or is 500ft blus 65 pound PP backing enough.

I've only ever used it on a dipsey.

3. Can you use it with normal guides and roller tip top or do all of them have to be roller guides.

Thanks Guys

darren

1. Put it all on. Reel it on as tight as you can get it. I like to run my line out with the diver on, and reel it back in without tripping it to get it good and tight. Never let wire line go slack. EVER.

2. I've only ever used it on a dipsey.

3. Regular guides, and twilli tip is easiest and works great. I prefer them myself.

4. Wire to a snap swivel, then the diver.

Let it out on a #3 setting, about 240ft back and see what happens :thumbsup_anim:

Good luck.

S.

The running is the fun part, it's the reeling in on a wire setup that sucks. But don't listen to me, try it for yourself, lol.

Pass this man a ten plus colour leadcore rig next time out :rofl2:

Edited by dave524

Reeling in a fish on a wire setup is not very exhilarating.... be prepared, lol.

I think you are outnumbered on this one bud...as stated, you can feel every headshake when a wire diver takes a shot and they don't really add that much weight to the fight. Definitely a different story with leadcore...when one of those takes a fish, I do my best to ensure that it isn't my turn in the rotation LOL!

Good luck,

Simon

I appreciate your concern and tact Simon but when someone needs/wants help with something, steering them to a place that can do just that is no problem at all. In fact it's commendable.

Thanks

- Depends on the size of your reel. You definitely want some backing or at least some tape on the reel first to ensure that it doesn't slip.

Wire is generally only for dipsey set-ups. Some guys run heavier Copper line in a similar manner to leadcore ie for flat-lining but this is a different animal than wire.

- Regular guides with a twilla tip (looks like a sping) or roller guides.

- set the drag so the line doesn't creep out when trolling but is still light enough that a fish will pull line. Some guys tether a downrigger release to the boat and clip it on the wire to stop it from creeping while keeping their drags set lightly.

- Run the wire right to the dipsy though you will want a rubber snubber behind the dipsey before attaching your flasher or other terminal tackle to act as a shock absorber (so you don't pull hooks from the fish).

Again, as mentioned previously check out Spoonpullers - there is a wealth of information there.

the wire setup can also be used for LSC muskie.

i've used my wire setups flat lining muskie baits there.

Also, I believe Aaron Shirley has used his wire setups for inland muskie in small(er) lakes.

NOTHING beats wire on lake ontario for fun factor.

Give someone 10 colour core or 400' section of copper and see how quickly they go back to the wire setups.

Wire = Fun.

(just make sure you have a high(er) end reel for it, as the drag is worked a lot harder)

Reeling in a fish on a wire setup is not very exhilarating.... be prepared, lol.

X2 Bill, Using a block and tackle to fish with is not what I call fishin. You want to have some fun, try winching your boat on the trailer and leaving the motor in reverse, man what a fight :D

I've done the deepdiver thing with wire or braid, yes it's OK with a big King but you don't catch big all the time. But each his own.

Edited by Fish Farmer

I use the shimano roller rod with the swivel tip, pricey rod, but nice.....a cheaper version is just any dipsey rod and change the tip to a twili tip, but instead of a regular door stop twili tip, I highly recommend the swivel tip from torpedo divers, a friend has that on his rod and very nice, actually works better than the shimano tip.......for leader material , i usually use 40lb flouro between dipsey and spinny, never had a break in that yet...with no snubber..... I am not associated with torpedo products, but I also prefer the torpedo 19 strand wire over the 7 strand just for the ease of dealing with kinks, I take a lot of newbies fishing and its easier not always having to cut back 20 feet or because of kinks

I use the shimano roller rod with the swivel tip, pricey rod, but nice.....a cheaper version is just any dipsey rod and change the tip to a twili tip, but instead of a regular door stop twili tip, I highly recommend the swivel tip from torpedo divers, a friend has that on his rod and very nice, actually works better than the shimano tip.......for leader material , i usually use 40lb flouro between dipsey and spinny, never had a break in that yet...with no snubber..... I am not associated with torpedo products, but I also prefer the torpedo 19 strand wire over the 7 strand just for the ease of dealing with kinks, I take a lot of newbies fishing and its easier not always having to cut back 20 feet or because of kinks

Agree 100%

I run 19 strand Torpedo wire to 40lb fluoro, no snubber on a Daiwa Heartland 9'6" with a Torpedo roller tip. This setup has eliminated all of the hassles in running wire.

Due to kinks in the last 10 feet or so of a wire dipsey outfit, a few have taken to putting 12 or so feet of mono between the end of the wire and the dipsey. This way when it is reeled in all the wire is on the reel, safe and sound, you can even break the rod down for storage while still strung. I was thinking I would try it.

Due to kinks in the last 10 feet or so of a wire dipsey outfit, a few have taken to putting 12 or so feet of mono between the end of the wire and the dipsey. This way when it is reeled in all the wire is on the reel, safe and sound, you can even break the rod down for storage while still strung. I was thinking I would try it.

That is the primary advantage and here's two more to think about;

When things go awry, (lines crossing) it's usually the dipsy that caused it and you can untangle fluorocarbon and reuse much easier than with wire.

Also, a fluoro leader will provide a little shock resistance and you can run without a snubber.

I also think fluoro has better stretch and recovery characteristics than mono. When you stretch fluoro, it seems to shrink back slowly and with less distortion. I've noticed this when making cheater rigs with mono and now I just use my muskie leaders.