CAMPING MID AUGUST

DMASSE

Hello

My wife, daughter and I are planning a second 9 day camping experience for the middle of august. We just came back from Algonquin Hwy 60 area and looking for somewhere new.

Some of the things we are looking for are a good sandy beach, Comfort stations, Hiking trails for wildlife photography, and of course good to great fishing (walleyes,bass, pike brookies etc etc)either from shore or from one of my fishing kayaks..

My question is where would you suggest, how was your personal experiences and would you send a family of 4 to it..

Any help would be appreciated

Dave

LSPP is my hands down favourite. Bon Echo has tons of interesting hikes and the rock face and history surrounding the park is very cool - but the fishin' part may be a little more work. Always found Mazinaw tough, altho the smaller lakes had bass and pike. Restoule is a good combo, but not near as many trails and different places to go if you're there for 9 days.

If you're strictly looking at actual campgrounds or parks check out Wakami Lake Provincial Park, it's beautiful.

Bit of a drive..but it's so secluded and lightly used, a true gem.

Really good fishing and hiking trails as well.

Only drawback since it's more of a primitive and less used park is no showers.

However a couple of solar shower bags hung in a tree works for me.

Where are you and how for you wanna drive?

There's some great camping on the st Lawrence river... The long sault parkway is awesome... Several islands to choose from... Great fishing either on the open st.lawrence or in the "lake" created by the parkway road... Lotsa bass pike walleye carp perch... Bathroom buildings... Shower facilities... And plenty of waterfront sites... And if you get a day of nasty weather your an hour from Ottawa or Montreal.... And half hour from USA border....

My family of 4 grew up going to this park. The hiking trail's are everywhere in the park..our main attraction... and it hooks up to the Bruce trail with lots of beautiful shore line hiking along GBay. I think Cypress is still a no motor lake..so a yak would be perfect. A couple of Sandy beaches in the park but Dorcas Bay and Singing Sands beach is right across the highway....now that is a huge mother of a Sandy beach and you can wade out forever before it gets deep so it's good for the kids. A side trip or 2 into Tobermory...10 minute drive... for supplies and to check out the Harbor is fun too.

My folks had a cottage up there on the Lake Huron side of the Bruce on Larry's Lake...it had loads of Smallies and small pike so I never even fished in Cypress...but I know it had bass and walleye and it sure isn't fished hard.

A few nice spec creeks up that way too...which I fished everytime I went and always had a brookie breakfast as long as the season was open.

Do a more advanced search of the area if the park sounds good to you, there lots of stuff to do up there. The upper Bruce is a real gem and it really doesn't get the crowds that alot of other areas of Ontario get.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/on/bruce/activ/activ2/activ2a.aspx

Edited by crappieperchhunter

Kilarney PP is nice. Good sand beach nice hikes. Kilarney has the silver peak hike which is an awesome veiw after a long hike, you do have to do some small portage to get there though.

Lady Evelyn PP is another really nice park and good fishing. It is not far from Temagami.

Ok sir this is the place to go all the fish you named and there is trout.

Samuel de Champlain Provincial Park Mattawa Ontario.

All the hiking trails you want more than one Sandy beach .Sites on the water

Bring some inner tubes and slowly ride down the River in the park.

I tell ya PM me all my son talks about is going back there |I can even send you pics.

I real favorite in my family.

Ok sir this is the place to go all the fish you named and there is trout.

Samuel de Champlain Provincial Park Mattawa Ontario.

All the hiking trails you want more than one Sandy beach .Sites on the water

Bring some inner tubes and slowly ride down the River in the park.

I tell ya PM me all my son talks about is going back there |I can even send you pics.

I real favorite in my family.

Yup. Its real nice there. Even has an ecological learning center. Not far away you have Talon Chutes. Mike you are right, there are trout nearby... But I won't say where (whistling).

Moore lake itself has good pike, musky and bass... At night set up a line and get some big burbot.