Lake Erie Eyes

Hey there, just wondering if the eyes on lake Erie can be caught without using dipsy or down riggers ( i.e under 20 ft). I would really like to try for some. As info, I launch out of Lowbanks (near Dunnville)

In the Port Colborne to Fort Erie area, there is a night bite inshore in a few locations trolling stick type crankbaits, you could try in your location or trailer there.

I remember going out with a buddy, around '87 or '88. There were no GPSs at the time, and we read about some structure about 6 miles out of the mouth at Pt. Maitland. We took a compass heading and a stopwatch and nailed the throttle. At the site, best we could figure, we started long lining some deep Raps. Nailed a bunch of walleyes, the biggest about 6Lb, and a few decent bass. All the guys running downriggers were comming up empty, so when they saw us flatlining, they hauled them out too. Best morning of fishing I can remember...

I'm sure with GPS, topo maps, fish finders, etc, it should be easier to find now. Maybe someone can do better than I just did to pinpoint it for you.

Sorry for the vagueness, that was many years, and many more beers ago...:whistling:

Checked my MapSource, I can't fin it, unless it's the shoal 3 mi. 170 degrees off Rock Island.... Sorry.

Edited by The JAY

I have recently been getting limits and near limits of walleyes by just drifting worm harnesses on the bottom using just 1 oz slip sinker and a 3' lead on my harness......see here...

http://ontariofishingcommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=63833

We did go back on Monday and got another 6 large walleyes.......next trip out might be this Saturday.

Walleyes come in, anywhere any river with a decent current spews, for at least a couple of hours every night. Cast and reel jerkbaits or shallow crankbaits off most Lake Erie piers at night, and you are likely to eventually hook one. I've caught them in some unexpectedly shallow areas doing this in the past. Hope that (hint) helps.

2.8 - 3.2 range depending on current direction

I would consider that the MAX amount for trolling while walleye fishing.....but every gauge is different.....and each circumstance is different.....

I am drifting about 1.3 to 1.7mph for my walleyes.....anything faster and I'm considering deploying my drift sox....but when I was trolling in walleye tournaments I would definitely power up to 2.8mph because I was covering VAST amounts of open water searching for LARGE suspended walleyes.....the faster I could cover those areas the better......but now I'm concentrating on structure orientated walleyes so I want my speeds slower so my bait is in the smaller strike zone longer.....

Rich is also in Norfolk County, the walleye down that way out of Ports like Burwell are a distinct subspecies :sarcasm: that chase down salmon spoons at salmon speeds. Took some boats from down that way a bit to get with the program in this end during the recent 444 Derby out of Port Colborne.