strange looking pike

snagged

First off, I'd like to introduce myself HI. This is a great site and I look forward to learning and contributing on these forums. I saw something very strange the other day and would like to know if anyone else has seen the same.

My buddy caught a pike and it had a very bright yellow pupil in one eye (like a highlighter marker) and the other eye was totally normal. I sooooooooo wish I had a photo but the pike did a boat side shake that freed it. Anyone know what this is about?

Thanks

I have no idea what it is, but I have seen what I assume is the exact same thing, One pupil completely neon green. I have a great picture of it, I am just trying to locate it, its either on an old phone, or sd card. I have always wonder what could have caused it, and if its harmful.

I have no idea what it is, but I have seen what I assume is the exact same thing, One pupil completely neon green. I have a great picture of it, I am just trying to locate it, its either on an old phone, or sd card. I have always wonder what could have caused it, and if its harmful.

Neon Green, that does sound exactly like it. It was unnaturally bright compared to the rest of it's body. I'd love to see that pic you have if you can locate it. BTW, what time of fish was it?

Edited by snagged

Do you mean something like this?

DSCN1848.jpg

This was an adult muskie, in the 45-inch range. Very nasty looking thing with a lot of old scars and injuries ... kind of looked like its head went through a wood chipper. I have no idea if it could even see out that eye, but I doubt it. Other than its banged-up head, the fish looked perfectly fine though, and seemed to be eating well. Fought hard and swam off just fine after our brief encounter.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

There still might be some old timers that land pike by gripping them by the eyes causing all sorts of damage. This could easily cause loss of sight in at least one eye.

Why would the old boys grab them by the eyes if they were going to release them?.I know years ago people did some crazy :asshat: things,but now I just don't know why. they did :wallbash:.

Why would the old boys grab them by the eyes if they were going to release them?.I know years ago people did some crazy asshat.gif things,but now I just don't know why. they did wallbash.gif.

When i was a wee lad, my Dad use to say that it stopped the fish from flailing around and was easier than grabbing it by the slimey sides od the fish.Times have certainly changed, eh?thumbsup_anim.gif

I noticed that if you get close to the photo and stare at the pikes eye you can see the colour change

just click pn the photo and check it out

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid25.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fc52%2FMrbeee1954%2Feye.mp4">

Maybe just the way the light's reflecting off the pikes eyes ??

Lotsa pictures I take of my pooch show his eyes as bright green or even yellow sometimes.

001-1.jpg

thCnv0197.jpg

Cnv1377.jpg

Edited by lew