Electrical interference

Rizzo

Since OFC was quick to solve my prop nut woes, thought I'd try another issue! My finder (Lowrance elite 5) never seems to mark fish while the motor is running, only when drifting or when trolling motor is on. All the cables are wrapped snuggly together. Could this be the source of a problem or would that have nothing to do with it? Would it help if I put something between the fishfinder cable and all the other cables (ie put a rag or something in between?). I already tried adjusting ping speed and that didn't help. Last time out sometimes it didn't even read that well, would tell me I was in 2 feet when it was more like 30. Would be like that for a minute or 2, and then all of a sudden would start working again.

1. Don't bundle the fishfinder or GPS power cable in with anything else. Bundle it with the engine controls and you will almost always get some amount of interference. If possible, run cables for electronics down the opposite side of the boat from the engine and dash wires.

2. Ideally, run electronics off their own battery or, as Bill suggests, use an isolator.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

I have install MANY fish/depth finders over the years.......NEVER had a problem bundling the wires along the gunnel to the back of the boat.....and I ALWAYS use the starting battery for my power source....never the TM battery.......

You should go on Lowrance's website and see if you need to update the software on that unit.....simple down load onto a SD card and put it in the unit.....

Other then that.......follow Tybo's advice.....YOU MUST HAVE RESISTOR SPARK PLUGS any time you are using a depth finder or VHF radio.....also a AM/FM radio.

Bob

I think it was someone else who said suppressor plugs

I think he just said change them

but I could be wrong...LOL

it could be as simple as changing the spark plugs to suppressor plugs

Change the spark plugs.