Heading to Lake Clear this fri,sat sun.

I'm heading to Lake Clear for three days to do some fishing and hang out with friends. My buddy has a cottage there and always throws a party on Canada Day weekend. Most go for the party but I usually fish 12 hrs a day, break bread and have drinks with friends in the evening then up early and do it all over again. I usually crash in the back of my truck because I am up at 4:00 4:30 and dont want to bother anyone making noise. I make some coffee and toast a bagle on my campstove then I'm gone fishing.

This past January I started dating a new girl and she seems to like to fish. We have been out four or five times and she doesn't start to whine and complain cause the weather gets foul or it's to hot,or wants to go home after 3 or 4 hours cause were not catching anything like my past g/f's that also liked to fish. She ties her own baits and baits her own hooks, nice.

Well I asked her if she wanted to come, but for sure I thought she would say no when I told her we would be sleeping in the back of the truck (full size box with a cap). She says "awesome beats setting up and tearing down a tent any day".Im looking at her and saying to myself, I'm digging this chick. She has never fished smallies before and hopefully I can get her into some Lake Clear hawgs. We will definitely be going after some eyes as well and doing a nice shore lunch. I will take pics and if I can ever figure out how to post them I will. Anways, last night she says hopefully we catch some pickerel cause I want to try filleting one.Hmmm might have a keeper here.

Good for you...

Makes life easy when date night can be done in the boat...lmao...

Like me this weekend... Friday is my day to fish... Saturday is family day which will include fishing with the wife and son... And sunday is date night which includes supper by boat at a restaurant fishing and fireworks by boat...

Theres a really good pronounced weedline on that lake it goes from about 3 to 20 ft and I usually fish it for eyes in the early morning and evening. Have never had any luck during the day there. I am going to try ripping bucktails there for the first time and see how that works out. Any tips on this method would be appreciated. What weight of jigs to use?I have 3/8 and 1/2 oz.

ouch...I might suggest cutting back on the fishing a bit for her sake (and spending a night or 2 in a proper bed). Its great to find a woman who likes to fish, but the sleeping in the truck and being on the water 12 hours a day might be pushing it...especially when there are friends back on shore. Just my opinion (based on experience though :thumbsup_anim:

Well we got back from Lake Clear yesterday at about 2:00. We got there friday about noon to be met with 25 to 35 km winds. Got the boat off and set up waited till evening for the wind to settle down but it didn't. The wind blew all night and into the next morning. We went out anyways and found some sheltered areas to fish. The fishing sucked all the bass were under 6 inches. The areas I wanted to fish were main lake shoals but big waves, and I didnt want to put her throught that.

We went back to the cottage and all the other people were starting to roll in. Boats, Sea-doos, kids dogs etc. By late afternoon the wind started to die down and we headed out for a few hours. Got into some smallies but wind was still in the low 20's. Then she gotta call from one of the gals with a couple of sea-doos. Took her back so she could try it out, she's never drove one before. She had a blast. I caught up with the lads and had a few brews and talked fishing.

There were four bass boats there and we took the group for boat rides and did some cliff jumping. That evening we decided to have a little tourney the next morning. 9-11:30 one fish. Took off in 15 k winds and went right to my main lake shoals. The smallies were on we were ripping spinner baits. Diane caught a nice pb 3.5 lb smallie and I just about released it and she reminded me we were in a tourney. Caught about 6 more in the 3 lb range gunning and running main lake shoals.

At the weigh in we waited till the last to weigh(just wanted some suspense). Anyway she won with her pb 3.5lber and won a new St Croix hat. Took some pics and released all the fish. She was prretty stoked. Went out that evening for some eyes and I set her up with a worm harness and she caught her pb walleye and 3 others and I got skunked. We were back in by 11:00.

The party was well under way with the guitars out and everyone singing around the fire and we cleaned up some eyes and joined in. The truck was fine no complaints. Had her set up with a good air mattress, mine sucked has a slow leak. Sunday we fished only 3 hrs at a time and then back to the cottage to hang with everyone. Then back out for a few hrs etc, some swimming and just touring around the lake. Was a great weekend and we had a really good time. I got enough fishing in to fix the craving and had a blast at the fire works as well. she has the pics and I will get them from her and try to load them up. Not a complaint from her about staying in the truck. It was actually better then a tent I thought. But I think I do owe her one for roughing it with me for three nights in the truck.

For sure Bill. I love that kind of smallie fishing. They are usually on the bite when the waves are crashing on the shoals. But its good to have someone else on board that knows their way around the boat and can take over the trolling motor when need be. I know alot of seasoned anglers who won't bother fishing these conditions because its tough fishing. I have won tourneys in half an hour buy using this method. Ripping spinnerbaits or crayfish coloured cranks.