40hp etec blowing main fuse

Hi all,

I bought a 2009 evinrude etec new in 2010. The first season it worked great. I was really happy with my purchase. in the beginning of the second season (June), it started to blow the main fuse(10amp). took it to the dealer to have fixed under warranty. It took them 3 weeks to diagnose the problem. They said bad control box. They changed it at no cost. Again it worked great for about 6 weeks then it started to happen again, Same problem. So, back to the dealer. Another 3 weeks to diagnose. This time they say Bad EMM. (computer) 1 week waiting for the part, and im back on the water. First trip out, starter bolts break.(2 of 3) this repair takes 1 more week. Now its October. Put the boat to bed for the winter. This April get the boat out, a few trips to nuke plant before taking it to the cottage for the summer. This past weekend, while out fishing muskieSame fuse issue. Keeps blowing main fuse. My patience is starting to run out. I bought this motor because i was tired of getting stranded on the water by my 2006 4 stroke Merc.

Just wondering if anyone else has had or heard of these same problems with the main fuse, and what was the solution. I know there are a few knowlegable people on this board when it comes to outboards. I just wanna go fishing with no headaches or worries.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Edited by steelhedrmatt

sounds like an injector shorting out, how's it running when it's not blowing fuses?

Runs great. hole shot is incredible. Quiet and great on gas. If it was an injector shorting out, shouldnt it show when they run diagnostics?

Edited by steelhedrmatt

I have a 2006 60Hp E-Tec tiller which I bought in 2010 used. It around 225 hours on it after last season as I recal and toward the end of the season was giving me issues with stalling. I spoke to the local dealer and after trying all of their fule system products finally took the engine in since it continued to give me problems. It needed a new fuel injector and has been running fine thus far this season. I was told it was a problem common to that model, news to me...

Since then i have been running the highest grade of 2 cycle oil that evinrude offers and I run super grade gasonline in the engine. Thus far this season I have had no issues and I do a lot of trolling. Im not sure if this is at all related to your problem but thought I would offer it up. I found that in this process and with another issue I was having with the dealer and installation of a steering friction kit, evinrude customer service was of no help whatsoever for me. Hope your issue gets resolved soon. It sounds like the unit is still under warranty which is fortunate.

Millhouse

Runs great. hole shot is incredible. Quiet and great on gas. If it was an injector shorting out, shouldnt it show when they run diagnostics?

you would think it would show but i am guessing warranty diagnosis involves a dart board more than a sound strategy to identify and solve your issue.

trying running it with cover off and do your own wiggle test of the harness maybe it's rubbed out somewhere

I had a 25 four stroke Merc which had intermittent issues with a fuse holder...the fuse was loose and due to movement would blow the fuse. Called Merc and they told me to put a little piece of foam between the fuse holder cap and the fuse to hold it in tight. Not sure if this will fix your problem, but it fixed mine. Just a suggestion/idea.

thx

Steelhedrmatt, I have a 50 HP Etec and have not experienced any problems like you have. As well, I can't advise you on your problem except to say that you may want to check out www.bbcboards.net. It is a US based board that deals with bass boats. There is a guy called Seahorse that moderates the Evinrude/Johnson (BRP) page that may be able to help you.

There's another site (www.etecownersgroup.com) that may also be helpful.

Edited by Randy

Are you running wing nuts on the main battery connected to the etec? this is a known issue if the connection is loose causes all kinds off wierd issues.

nope. been using nylock nuts on my batteries for a long time. long before owning an etec.

tried etecowners forum. some good info. i figure the emm is shot again. tried a couple things i picked up from etecowners forum. ran ok in the driveway, took it down the street to the holland to try it out, and again same crap. tonite cant even turn the key to on position without it tripping. taking back to Katrine marine friday. let them figure it out. :wallbash:

I always had excellent service at Katrine Marine. I cannot remember the owners name but he did awesome work for me over the years that I dealt with him.

Been dealing with colleen and larry for about 10 years now. Usually good service and quick turnaround.

New owners ,there wasn't a Larry or Collene when I dealt there. The owners name was Reinhart and his wife ran the counter. A very pleasant German couple and Reinhart would always go out of his way to get me back on the water as quickly as possible.

it started to blow the main fuse(10amp)

Any chance that 10 amp fuse is the wrong size for your motor and was put in by mistake ??

The main fuse for my 150 Yamaha is 50 amp and the smallest for anywhere on my motor is 20 amp.

My last motor was a 90 Merc and the main fuse for that was 30 amp.

10 amp just seems kinda small to me for the main fuse.

But then again, I'm no mechanic :lol:

Don't have an answer but I would check EVERY connection in the boat.. if you can see your main power wires look for a kink or pinch.

Sounds to be something simple like a short. You said it ran fine in the driveway then you towed it down the street and it wouldn't go.

New owners ,there wasn't a Larry or Collene when I dealt there. The owners name was Reinhart and his wife ran the counter. A very pleasant German couple and Reinhart would always go out of his way to get me back on the water as quickly as possible.

Reinhart sold to larry and colleen about 10 years ago. He's still kickin about though. Tough old bugger

Any chance that 10 amp fuse is the wrong size for your motor and was put in by mistake ??

The main fuse for my 150 Yamaha is 50 amp and the smallest for anywhere on my motor is 20 amp.

My last motor was a 90 Merc and the main fuse for that was 30 amp.

10 amp just seems kinda small to me for the main fuse.

But then again, I'm no mechanic :lol:

came that way from the dealer. Even has a holder for an extra fuse, also loaded with a 10amp. dropped it off tonite. Larry's gonna put it on the computer tomorrow morning. We'll see what happens

• 2 weeks later...