Curado 200E

cynmar

I tried my new Curado out today and am a little concerned. First , I have been using a baitcaster for a number of years now, but this is one of the more upper level ones I have owned. I have a Shimano Citica that I have no problems with, very few birdsnests unless I crazily try to cast into the wind with a light lure. Tried my new Curado today with the same set up as the Citica. 2 weights on, tension knob adjusted to the weight of the lure etc. I was still getting birdsnest after birdsnest. I am wonderring what I am missing here, why will that set up of weights and tension work so well with the Citica and not the Curado? Any suggestions on what I may be missing?

Bill :dunno:

Edited by oldbassguy

Sorry, yes that's what I meant about 2 weights on. Set it up the same as my Citica but it seems to birdsnest way more. Is there anyway there is a spool speed difference between the two when casting, do I need to put more weights on the Curado to get the same result? Just to let you know the reel is mounted on a Compre 6'6 MH extrafast action rod.

I use one brake. Tighten the cast control so that your lures drops and doesn't continue to spin your spool once it hits the water. It's like impossible to birds nest unless your doing crazy whip casts or the wind plays a factor. This is on the cores and chronarch d which share the same braking

Is it making a mess at the start or end of a cast ? Adjust the cast control as danbob suggests, this will tame nests when the lure lands and stops the spool from keeping on. The brake system will need more user involvement to determine brake settings. As well, I believe there are two different brakes for the Curado (green or pinkish/red ones, one is slightly heavier iirc).

On my Revo Premier, I'm now going with cast control pretty loose (a tip from young_one) and slowly educating my thumb.

Maybe I'll just have to play with it some more. This Curado has the pink brakes under the side plate. Right now I have 2 on, started with none and then adjusted it to match my Citica. I adjust the spool tension knob whenever I change a lure so that it just starts to drop when I engage. The birds nests seem to start right when I start the cast and not when the lure hits the water. I can't remember but I believe that's a result of the brakes rather than the spool tension knob , or do I have it the wrong way around.

It may be I'm trying to get too much distance and whipping the rod. The Compre rod is also brand new so maybe I need to get used to the pairing.

Edited by oldbassguy

you obviously know what you're doing, try all the weights to the outside, and the lure drop adjustment you were doing, if there's still problems, something might be wrong with that reel, I have a Curado, very forgiving and easy to use, I love that reel

If its birds nesting at the begining its likely you have the spool too free. I find most curados are happy with 3on 3 off. As well set the spool so you have to give it a jiggle before the lure will fall. Are you using braid, mono or flouro? If you had a bad birdsnest with mono or flouro then it could be the line is kinked up.

Start by cleaning the brake drum with lighter fluid.

It might have some packing grease on it from the factory.

Be sure there is oil on the spool bearings, it might have dried out in storage.

One of the bearings is under the spool tension knob, you have to remove the knob to reach it.

Put three brakes on and try again.

You might need three or four on some days.

The smoother the bearings the more brakes you need because the spool spins easier.

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm going to do the regular maintenance on it and re-oil. I could have been leaving the spool tension knob a bit too loose . We'll work with the set up for a while , maybe it's just getting used to the new set up, rod and reel. Great info as always::clapping:

Bill

Edited by oldbassguy

It's probably something simple, Bill. I started using baitcaster 60 some years ago when those reels were little more than line storage spools. Today I'm happy to report than my right thumb has a PHD in spool control. Never have the brakes on now.

You're right Roy, my thumb is always stopping the line before the lure hits the water. Except for those times that I have a brain fart, (happens as you get older). I think I'll just have to work with the set up as Better reel means different tolerances I imagine.

Bill