Asian Carp bust

dave524

From the article

"In the Mississippi River the carp, which are meat-eating predators, have destroyed large parts of the ecosystem, decimating the small-fish population, which leaves no food for larger species, including salmon and trout."

Really. :rolleyes:

What are you saying? There's not a great trout and salmon fishery in the Mississippi?

HAHAHA...But then again, when have you ever known a reporter to get the story right?

I think they were caught in a secret honey-hole in the Rouge River. . . . they grow pretty fast out there, eh? Put 5 pounders in there in April . . . . catch 10 pounders in the summer! My bet is there are already Asian carp, somewhere out along the Great Lakes, getting ready to hit our shores. The officials only got ONE truckload, how many did they miss? How many fish tanks in small fish markets have them swimming around? Better lay out the welcome mats NOW!

Guest piker

50 grand is harsh but fair. I'm sure the fish were intended to be D.O.A but someone on the U.S side didnt to there job right. As long as the concquence for importing live fish across the border well out weighs the potential profit for smuggling. Not sure what the premium is for live fish v dead?

All the shareholders/owners/managing directors of the company should have gotten a 3yr MANDATORY jail term, and the laws need to be changed to make that the penalty for this. The driver should get 2yrs MANDATORY in jail, for being too ignorant to check his damn cargo to see that it complied with the law...

Everyone knows that if able to, certain cultures will release these fish alive into one of the Great Lakes as a ritual. That can not be stopped, only the supply of the carp can be. If enough of them get released they will establish a breeding population very quickly. Since these carp are "cold" water species, and were able to over run over all other species in the warm waters of the Mississippi, just imagine what they will do in water with cooler temperatures.

The cost if they get established will likely be the decimation of a fishery worth upwards of 6 BILLION a year on both sides of the border. That is NINE zeros folks. It is time to stop playing games with these importers, and let them stay on the public's dime for a lengthy spell to get their attention. Fines don't seem to be stopping this from happening, especially since the fines are proabably never paid. It only costs a few grand to collapse a company, leaving it unable to pay the fines, and start another one the following week, with all the equipment and assets intact... I am sure some lawyers are working on doing that right now for these guys.

All the shareholders/owners/managing directors of the company should have gotten a 3yr MANDATORY jail term, and the laws need to be changed to make that the penalty for this. The driver should get 2yrs MANDATORY in jail, for being too ignorant to check his damn cargo to see that it complied with the law...

Wow man, I can appreciate you're hatred for this, but jail sentences? LOL.

I'm curious about this part of the story...

"Though the fish had been on ice for 24 hours, since being shipped from a fish farm in Arkansas, when a border official put some of the fish into a bucket of water, the fish came back to life."

Unless the shipper and/or importer had full knowledge that the carp could survive and recover from 24+ hours on ice, this may very well have been a major fluke. I have no idea either, what fish can take that much time on ice so am keeping an open mind that someone may have found a work around to getting live carp into the country. Go after shippers and importers and hit them hard in the apple sack if they can be proven to have engaged in illegal importation of live, banned fish.

If this is indeed the fourth time this type of activity has been caught, I would like to know if the other cases involved the same fish farm. Googling Fortune Fisheries (the importing company) didn't bring up much as I wanted to see if they've been through this dance before and if this was a strike 2 or 3 for them.

tbh, I find the case of the couple that dumped live fish into the Rouge (a proven deliberate act), scarier.