Leaf Talk

jedimaster

Its pretty clear that with reimer and Scrivvens, the leafs are not going ot make the playoff's. I am not blaming the lack of playoffs on reimer. I think he has potental. He just isn't there yet. The leafs are going to go hard after Luongo and if they don't get him they are in big trouble. I hear florida is also gunning for lou

Luongo will end up in Florida me thinks.. I don't care about the cup or even the playoffs in 12/13 for the Leafs. I'd like to see Reimer have a complete season without injury, them beef up the front lines as well as the D. Let Carlyle do his job.

Reimer played great before he sustained a concussion, it seems that people here are forgetting that.

Edited by BillM

Its pretty clear that with reimer and Scrivvens, the leafs are not going ot make the playoff's. I am not blaming the lack of playoffs on reimer. I think he has potental. He just isn't there yet. The leafs are going to go hard after Luongo and if they don't get him they are in big trouble. I hear florida is also gunning for lou

lol ur kidding rite? u actually want the leafs to sell the farm to get luongo?? u want a goalie under contract for big money the next 10 years, who hasnt won anything in his career? hes a gret goalie, but not worth getting when u have 2 or 3 guys in ur system tht can win gmes for u for a long time. lets not forget that reimer and scrivens both plyed very well nd won the leafs games they shouldnt have won. the leafs biggest problems were a poor defense, and the need for another scoring forward down the middle.

even with JVR they still need a big skilled center.

trading schenn only hurt the tem as they now have only one stand up defensive dman, komisarek. phaneuf has been useless as a leaf. liles about the same, only served purpose on the power play. gunnarson is more of a puck moving dman, good in his own end, but not the bruising, shutdown dman they need. Gardiner is still young, has time to grow, more of an offensive thret, but plays well in his own end, considering his age.

problem is, as each year passes, people will point out his mistakes more and more... kinda like they did with schenn. gardiner made a lot of mistakes last year, giveaways, poor positioning, mental mistakes, but everyone let it slide because of his age, and the fact hes a rookie outta college.

young players need time to grow and learn, schenn is gonna be a force in philly, gonn play big minutes and will be an allstar this year or next.

JVR.... lets hope he can play a full season and maybe it'll be worth what they gave up to get him

Luongo will end up in Florida me thinks.. I don't care about the cup or even the playoffs in 12/13 for the Leafs. I'd like to see Reimer have a complete season without injury, them beef up the front lines as well as the D. Let Carlyle do his job.

Reimer played great before he sustained a concussion, it seems that people here are forgetting that.

No Bill, I certianly am not forgetting he played well last year and for some of the year before as well... my biggest concern re Reimer is the same cocern I had a year ago... he hasn't even played 1/2 a season and the Leafs are putting him in this position? Talk about burn out the kid...

HH

Edited by Headhunter

We still need a veteran goalie. At least for back up IMO.

lol ur kidding rite? u actually want the leafs to sell the farm to get luongo?? u want a goalie under contract for big money the next 10 years, who hasnt won anything in his career? hes a gret goalie, but not worth getting when u have 2 or 3 guys in ur system tht can win gmes for u for a long time. lets not forget that reimer and scrivens both plyed very well nd won the leafs games they shouldnt have won. the leafs biggest problems were a poor defense, and the need for another scoring forward down the middle.

I'm not sure the Leafs would have to sell the farm to aquire Luongo.

As far as Luongo the player goes, I believe he'd instantly make them a playoff team. The Leafs have plenty of deficiencies, but goaltending is their biggest.

Regarding Luongos contract being an albatross, I believe most are wrong on this point as well.

His cap hit is 5.3 mil. Check the salaries of pretty much any goalie with a couple of good seasons...you're looking at 6 mil plus.

As far as the length of the contract goes, so what? He'll retire long before that contract expires and that salary doesn't count against the cap since he signed prior to turning 35.

As far as I'm concerned it's a small price to pay for a franchise goalie.

Now if there is a larger than expected market for Lou and the Canucks are asking too much, then forget it.

I doubt that will happen though. Toronto is the logical destination now that Tampa has shored up its goaltending. I look forward to this aquisition big time.

I don't think a team will need to give up a tonne for Roberto. After all Vancouver has a huge contract on him to play as a backup. I wouldn't mind seeing riemer start 20 games and Roberto start 60 for the next 2 or 3 years. Reimer is not ready to stand on his own. neither was gustaf.

As for the Center I still have hopes for nash....

So what do you guys think will be the asking price for Nash and Luongo? Woul dthat be enough to shore things up presumming JVR pans out. Don't forget losing schenn, is a no brainer for me. It wasn't working as expected and the leafs drafted imo a better defensive prospect than Schenn.

As for the Center I still have hopes for nash....

Nash isn't a center, he's a winger. Don't think it's going to happen, the price will be too steep.

Looking at free agency Parise is more possible than Nash, after all it'd just be money involved.

Only problem is I doubt Parise would play here.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if the Leafs picked up some tougher d men in free agency as well.

Suter is the obvious choice, but even though he's older I'd LOVE to see the Leafs sign Willie Mitchel. He's always been a tough steady player and was a big part of L.A.'s team this past season.

As far as a first line center goes they'll only get one through trade.

Personally I still think Stastny from Colorodo is a possibility, especially since Duchene is taking over as number 1.

I would think Nash would be tested out at center, just as JVR will be.

Not a chance.

Nash has never played center, why would any team try and mess with his game?

Yes JVR played center in junior, but his skill set is not conducive to center in the NHL. Burke himself has already said he likes him right where he's been...on the wall.

Not a chance.

Nash has never played center, why would any team try and mess with his game?

Yes JVR played center in junior, but his skill set is not conducive to center in the NHL. Burke himself has already said he likes him right where he's been...on the wall.

Burke should watch his back if he doesn't do anything with the goal tending issue.#1 job asap IMO.

Can see Burke throw the farm at Parise. He knows that he lost out on Richards by not going against his contract "code". I dont think hell have the same reservations with Parise.

Luongo, no thanks.

Semin, no thanks.

Nash, no thanks.

Parise, at all costs!

Parise would be a great addition! I'm all for that.

And the reason luongo is still a canuck is because vancouver is asking a ton for him. And they won't move him unless they get what they're asking for. I wouldn't be shocked to see him stay where he is another year

And the reason luongo is still a canuck is because vancouver is asking a ton for him. And they won't move him unless they get what they're asking for. I wouldn't be shocked to see him stay where he is another year

you hit the nail right on the head..Louongo should be moveable in a heartbeat, however with his contract they cant give him away..The problem for Vancouver is they want to resign Cory Schnider..He is looking to make 4.5 mill himself. What team has 10 mill set aside for their goalies alone? One of them will have to move. Somthin tells me it wont be LOU

Go get Thomas for 2 to 4 years Burkie..I could personally care less if he is a freak..Great mentor for Reims

Edited by tb4me

Gillis has grossly mishandled Luongo.

He publicly humiliated him which prompted Luongo to request a trade.

I believe Gillis is likely asking too much, but then it's his job as gm to do so.

But being backed into a corner and more or less forced to make a deal is his own doing.

It may not happen right away but Lou will be gone before next season, and no the return won't be huge for Vancouver.

That's the way I see it anyway.

Parise isn't leaving NJ, great thought but it's never going to happen.. They'd be stupid to not renew his contract.

July 1st should be an interesting day!

Parise will only be in NJ when he's on the visitors bench. They have some major financial trouble going on there at the moment, and Kovalchuks contract absolutely hamstrung the Devils. Like I said, Burkes going to make a huge move for him, but I'm reading the Pens and Red Wings have the cap space and are considered his most likely destination. Also, Minnesota apparently has stated they will match any contract offered in terms of money and duration.

like parise but he has NO interest in playing in Toronto + detroit has 20 million under the cap and will be going for parise and suter

luongo,I like him but Not for 9 more yrs,were stuck with reimer/scrivens--thomas is also out of the question he is playing head games with boston,only has 1-2 yrs left do U think he will come here on a team that probably wont make playoffs again next yr?

we are far behind last yrs 8 playoff teams,then add in buffalo ,and tampa and the Canes,all who have improved this month,we have our work cut out for us there

like parise but he has NO interest in playing in Toronto + detroit has 20 million under the cap and will be going for parise and suter

luongo,I like him but Not for 9 more yrs,were stuck with reimer/scrivens--thomas is also out of the question he is playing head games with boston,only has 1-2 yrs left do U think he will come here on a team that probably wont make playoffs again next yr?

we are far behind last yrs 8 playoff teams,then add in buffalo ,and tampa and the Canes,all who have improved this month,we have our work cut out for us there

Thanks for saying the truth!!,I really don't know what they can do for a quick fix.