Question about Native status and fishing in my boat

Cudz

That bares an uncanny resemblance to one on my favorite spots on a little Lake Trout lake near me. Nice painting.:good:

I had a cove on the south shore of Larson Bay on the Goon I frequented--was a good place to build a fire---wet a line and get away from humanity

I had a cove on the south shore of Larson Bay on the Goon I frequented--was a good place to build a fire---wet a line and get away from humanity

The little trout lake I'm thinking about is just a little south east of the Goon. Most places out here are great place to get away from humanity. That's why I love it so much. :D

The little trout lake I'm thinking about is just a little south east of the Goon. Most places out here are great place to get away from humanity. That's why I love it so much. :D

I hear ya---I'd sooner deal with a pack of timberwolves than deal with what some call civilization

As I know it to be Cudz..

I was wondering a couple of things with regards to my buddy who is native. Let's say he was fishing with me in my boat.

a) Would he need a fishing license? (I think not)

No he would not if within his Treatied Lands, Yes he would outside of that. Google images for Treaty Lands Canada would provide the boundaries. My wife and kids belong to Treaty 9 which encompasses a great area of Northern Ontario.

B) What would his catch limits be? (same as my sport license because he is fishing with me???)

With Status on Treatied lands, Unlimited...BUT, within reason for what would be deemed "self" or "family" sustinence. When living up North there was one case I remember of someone status being charged by the Ministry for obvious overharvest and disregard of the fishery. Without Status, same rules as apply to all non-status.

c) Would he be allowed to fish with 2 rods? (or does he have to adhere to my rules because he is with me?)

He could fish with 15 rods as long as he has Status and is fishing on Treaty Lands

A aside to all of this... I have been with others off their Treaty Lands on a small few occassions, and was once checked by the MNR. The Ministry did not enforce the need for my Status friend to have an ON Fishing License despite the fact he's from Saskatchewan and his Treatied Lands are there. It makes me wonder if to the Ministry, showing Status (like Metis) is enough to think, "OK... let's leave it at that and not have to worry about what kind of paperwork and headaches this could lead to for us all if we enforce laws and lay any charges." Yet this thought simply crossed my mind and isn't some firm belief I have.

As I know it to be Cudz..

A aside to all of this... I have been with others off their Treaty Lands on a small few occassions, and was once checked by the MNR. The Ministry did not enforce the need for my Status friend to have an ON Fishing License despite the fact he's from Saskatchewan and his Treatied Lands are there. It makes me wonder if to the Ministry, showing Status (like Metis) is enough to think, "OK... let's leave it at that and not have to worry about what kind of paperwork and headaches this could lead to for us all if we enforce laws and lay any charges." Yet this thought simply crossed my mind and isn't some firm belief I have.

That, unfortunately, is what appears to be occuring.

I need a status card, I could use the tax break.

It's a nice thing to have Bill. For starters, everything is 8% off. It makes life just like a giant Walmart sale. My life partner has status.

I would guess that he would have to live on a reservation to qualify. Hopefully he respects OUR resources enough to not keep everything on the end of his line, just because he might legally be allowed to....

Cudz - I have no idea about the legalities, so no comment on that.

One comment on the post above - it isn't a reservation, it is a reserve. Many people take great offense the the term reservation. Í would suggest not using it in the company of status cardholders. If I am incorrect, someone can correct me. I learned the lesson the hard way a few years back.

Dude....does this mean you're going fishing?!?!?! thumbsup_anim.gif

Well, it is opening weekend and I have been an awesome husband and dad for the past few months and my wife bought me a $50 BPS gift card for father's day. All things point to maybe. We'll see.

I haven't fished since august last year and everything is cool. I do pass 2 lakes everyday on my way to work and haven't stopped in yet.

I did take my middle and youngest daughter out for a troll the other day and they caught 5 perch between them and I didn't put a line in the water.

As to the original question, I am going to look at his treaty area. I beleive Batchawana First Nations is his reserve.

Edited by Cudz

Batchewana is in the Robinson-Huron Treaty area. Now I wonder how the great lakes fit into the equation. I saw on the map the treaty area but the great lakes are not included. His treaty area borders the whole norther part of Huron. Seeing as Georgian Bay is part of Lake Huron, I wonder if he can claim aboriginal fishing rights there.

Maybe I shouldn't even care because he already has a license.

Anyway, I found this interesting. Not sure about the outcome as I am sure it was probably argued in court.

http://fishingboard.thunderbayfishing.com/index.php?showtopic=20

Edited by Cudz