May Laker Trip

4x4bassin

Our annual laker trip has come and gone , so I decided to post a small report. Myself and a couple friends have been going on this atv/fishing

adventure for a couple years now every May and it's a blast to say the least !

We drive a couple hours north of Barrie through some tough roads untill we come to the trail head and park the trucks and start unloading our bikes

and gear just to load it all back on to the atv's for the remainder of our journey. As you can see space on the bikes is at a premium so basicly only the essentials go !

P5170071.jpg

The trail to the lake from this point is roughly 14 km and takes around 1 1/2-2 hours to travel , it is a long , slow rocky trail for most of the way

and as well takes us through some very scenic hemlock stands as we get closer to the lake.

P5170074.jpg

P5170075.jpg

You may be asking where are the boats , we have them stashed in the bush lakeside . We finally make it to our camp site and start setting up and gathering wood for the next couple days.

This is our fire pit/sitting area of our camp , doesn't get much better then this !

P5180076.jpg

I started having camera problems at this point of the trip so the pics. are limited.

We use to troll around with the usual spoons and rapalas with some good success but found that the lakers in this lake were suckers for jigs . I take the finder in with us and we basicly go to the deep holes and deep flats and when I see them on the finder I stop the boat and drop the jigs down on top of them , boat control is very important with this pattern so you can keep your jigs vertical !

Here is a couple screen shots I took , the first one shows how far a laker will actually travel to hit your bait (30 feet) and chase !

P5190085.jpg

This is a screen shot of a frenzy of activity as soon as the jigs went down , we caught lots in this spot !

P5190084.jpg

In total our boat caught around 35 lake trout in two days and the other boat got a little less and all were released except for these three that we kept for our Saturday fish fry.

P5190086.jpg

The fish in this lake are all natural , no stockers and there diet mostly consists of bugs and freshwater shrimp making there meat very orange/red and tasty unlike the greasers you get in the south that feed on smelt there whole lives.

These were the jigs of choice for the weekend and the bottom one being there favorite (It's pretty beat up) They range from 1-2 oz

P5200093.jpg

We made it out and are now planning another trip to the same spot in September , Hope you enjoyed !

Cheers