New Job

manitoubass2

Just so the awesome members of OFC know,

I spent most of my 20's working as a miner, or in the oilfied. Basically, I worked 90 hour work weeks for years on end and had almost zero time off work. I usually took a few days off around xmas, but that really about it. It was a grueling schedule and the work lifestyle just wore me down.

After I had kids, I really resented what I was doing. I loved the job and most of the people, but just really missed my children. Money is nothing in comparison to time with your kids...

A few x-mas's ago, I came home 3 days early. My boys were getting older and missed me more and more, and vise versa. I basically had a moment of "enough is enough". I had bought them present in Alberta, but my oldest boy asked me to stay home, for good. I was already fed up, so I just cracked a beer, let the boys stay up late visiting with me, and just said screw it. I threw a whole bunch of cash and uncashed cheques in the living room, and just told them it was over, Daddy was staying home...

It felt great, I called and explained to my company, and they were super great about it. Told me I was always welcome back to my position. In a weird way, that made me feel more comfortable.

Anyhow, I spent the next few years doing everything with my kids, and even had some more kids, lol. I looked for work locally the whole time, but never had any good opportunities. So my girlfriend worked, and I was basically the housekeeper. When she was off work, I was either spending time out with the kids, or we were off to soccer or hockey or some other event. It was truly awesome.

I had some offers that would require me to leave home again, but declined them, and finally, just a few weeks ago, I got a great offer. I jumped all over it. Good pay, benefits etc, but I'll be at home everyday. It's a huge paycut from the oil industry, but heck, we do pretty darn well just off my girlfriends salary, lol. So I just think of it as bonus.

I'm tired, but the work/co-workers are very enjoyable, so I'm really happy. Just gonna take another week or so and I'll be used to the grind once again.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share so you would understand my updates, lol. Most people hear 2 years off and think awesome, lol, but some of it was the best thing ever, and some of it really sucked. A man needs to work. But I think I was entitled to some degree, cause from age 20 to age 30, I worked more hours at a really hard industry, then most people do in a lifetime. I'm not braggin or patting myself on the back either, cause I think those hard working years almost killed me

Congrats and good luck. I have also worked a long hard schedule for the past few years, but in my case it was after working for 30 some years straight as a tradesman already. I'm pretty much beat now. Thankfully I am appreciated more for my knowledge than my ability now. Anyways, it's a long haul however you look at it. Good luck Manitou. Enjoy your time with your kids. Nothing is more important.

Congrats and good luck. I have also worked a long hard schedule for the past few years, but in my case it was after working for 30 some years straight as a tradesman already. I'm pretty much beat now. Thankfully I am appreciated more for my knowledge than my ability now. Anyways, it's a long haul however you look at it. Good luck Manitou. Enjoy your time with your kids. Nothing is more important.

Thanks Danc, much appreciated, and I will.

My first good job wasn't too far from you(you were in Dryden right?). I worked up at the Ear Falls Weyerhaueser mill for two years. There I was a production technician, Fire Response and team lead, oh and our crews quality control dood.

It was a great experience that taught me alot

Edited by manitoubass2

That was a heart warming story Rick.I am truly happy you were able to put time with the familly as a priority in your life.

Your kids will benefit from your decision for the rest of thier lives.In this fast paced,money oriented society we live in, its good to see a man, and parent like you say "Hey !!! Wait a minute!!! My kids need me during this time in thier lives, more than my boss!!"

I salute you and wish you the best of luck with the new job.From what i have seen, you will succeed at anything you start.

worthy.gif

Paul

That was a heart warming story Rick.I am truly happy you were able to put time with the familly as a priority in your life.

Your kids will benefit from your decision for the rest of thier lives.In this fast paced,money oriented society we live in, its good to see a man, and parent like you say "Hey !!! Wait a minute!!! My kids need me during this time in thier lives, more than my boss!!"

I salute you and wish you the best of luck with the new job.From what i have seen, you will succeed at anything you start.

worthy.gif

Paul

Thanks Paul, that means alot coming from a man like you.

Don't get me wrong, I had my kids in Alberta with me at times, but other times I also worked so much I lived on the job site. My kids mean more to me than anything, and I always thank them for being so understanding. When I wasn't with them, we talked every night, I sent pictures etc. I did what I felt I had to do at that time. Nowadays, things have just changed. In fact, I denied some overtime tonight to go watch the last soccer games my kids had for the year. I guess I just got older and I know my kids appreciate it. A good day at work used to make me feel very proud, now its more about them youngens.

Again, in case any of you wonder why I post so many family pics, and solute those doing the same, thats why. I can really appreciate a Dad or Mom, just being a good parent and showing their children the true joys in life

Thanks Danc, much appreciated, and I will.

My first good job wasn't too far from you(you were in Dryden right?). I worked up at the Ear Falls Weyerhaueser mill for two years. There I was a production technician, Fire Response and team lead, oh and our crews quality control dood.

It was a great experience that taught me alot

Dryden was just another job. I did the HVAC at the new OPP station there. Red Lake was where I worked tons of hours for almost a year straight.

You put in some tough years from the sounds of it and now you deserve the more normal life with your kids and it'll be great for both them and you.

Happy kids are worth LOTS more than $$$$ :thumbsup_anim:

Great to hear your decision as kids grow up so fast.

I remember those years working 80 to 90 hours a week in the Printing industry mades lots of $$$$$ but lived to work.

Luckily I had no kids at the time.

I am back to many hours a week in a whole new industry but my extra time is in a home office.

Enjoy your children!!!!!!! :)

Woman working and you at home, your a legend in my eyes :thumbsup_anim:. Congrats and good on ya for making the effort to be home with your family and working locally. Being around for their childhood is something you surely will not regret.

Edited by Fish4Eyes

Life is about balance and finding it and yours may have been a bit off but you were able to get it back on track. Your kids needed you more than your employer (who sounds like a good one, esp if you're always welcome back) and that's a decision you will never regret. Work is work but kids should always be priority 1 (we don't have kids ourselves, just tons of nieces, nephews and godchildren).

Also glad your kids were able to tell you straight up that they needed you, many would just accept it as dad was busy working. You've got a great bunch of kids there and your kids have a great dad. :clapping:

Its great that you were able to see the reason for working was for the Kids. I know that is the reason I go to work. There has to be an end goal. You taught your kids the most important lesson in life. Family should always come first. You can't buy those fun times just horsing around with your kids at a young age. Congrats on the new job!

Nick

Good for you on making that decision. That must have been a exhausting time for you and I am sure your kids missed you a lot.

I understand where you are coming from, somewhat! My commute to work is four hours a day plus the hours I have to work, I too work in the mining industry, but I am on the engineering side I design the process plants and storage facilities ect… I wish I could spend more time with my 3 kids, but I don’t have many options where I am located at this point in time. Anyways, good luck with your new job and enjoy having more time with your kids.

Back in the early 80's I was only working two weeks of every month because the economy was in a tailspin. My wife had to go back to work to help out. My son was only 2 at the time and I was able to spend some great quality time with him and to this day we have a wonderful relationship. After a year or so and I started working steady again, my wife and I decided that one paycheck was enough so she became a stay at home mom again. We had some rough spots over the years but not enough to change our decision. The days spent with your wife/partner and kids are the best of times and there's no amount of money can make up for that. Good on you for recognizing what's important! I have friends who have spent their whole lives working and have lost families and friends because their jobs were their priority. Some people find this out too late and sadly some never learn. Good luck!