My Trip North

Live2fish85

Well I just got back from my trip up north, the fishing wasn't the greatest but was still a great time.

We got up there saturday night and it was to late to fish so we just talked and planned for the next morning.

We weren't able to get the boat until a bit later that day so we went to a nice shore spot. Was so nice to be north in the with nothing but the sounds of nature and not the city. The spot we started at was awesome a nice bay with a little waterfall/rapids running into.

2012-06-10072037.jpg

I got a nice picture with the new combo that I was excited to use for pike to say the least.

2012-06-10072133.jpg

Well the first cast my friend takes with a spinnerbait he got a nice little pike after that he tried his look at some eyes with the float rod. At that time I tried the fly rod for some pike. After a few cast bam, see the flash and the line go tight, set the hook and I finally hooked into my first pike on the fly combo and first actual fish to put up a fight unlike the rockbass I caught while practicing with it days before lol.

Heres me fighting the fish

chrispike.jpg

chrispike1.jpg

I didn't get a picture of the fish as I was to far from my friend and wasn't able to get a good one by myself.

We kept fishing and my friend got a nice little eye on the pin. He was happy as it was a first for him.We kept fishing with only rock bass and some oos smallies to show.

We went back to the cottage and ate breakfast then got the boat and took off. After trolling for a few minutes my friend landed a nice pike. Then that was it other then oos smallies and rock bass.

Later that night my friend got one walleye which went nicely with his pike.

The next morning we were back at it bright and early. We went to the spot which produced the most, took a bit of worked hoping out on the beaver dam and pulling the boat over but we got in and after a few rock bass and oos smallies my friend hooked into a walleye, then two seconds later I got one. Wasn't like the Lake Erie walleye but was going to taste better.

2012-06-11075107.jpg

We went on without much luck until we were trolling and my friend got a nice walleye to add to the fryer. We didn't end up with anymore walleye though.

2012-06-11120607.jpg

After fishing but nothing to show but rock bass and the oos smallies which the lake is full of, I convinced my friend or bugged him enough to try for pike again so I could use my fly rod again. Well we were working the shore line drop offs and he got snagged in a tree. Well as hes working on that I was busy casting away. I thought I seen something go for my fly so I casted back at the spot let the fly sink and bit and start to retrieve the line, I could barely see my fly and then I see a mouth open then a flash and then the line tightened and I set the hook. Finally got something a bit bigger and alot better fighter. It wasn't big but felt great on the fly rod, did I mention that I love fly fishing. There is nothing like it that I have experienced.

Heres my mangled fly.

2012-06-11195228.jpg

and a pic with he scrappy little guy

2012-06-11195315.jpg

That was it for the fish. To me I couldn't have asked for a better trip. I got to catch a pike on the fly which I was really hoping to do, landing 2 was icing on the cake.

Now time to get at tying some flies for Brian. An to prep for tomorrow as I may head down for some gar pike on the fly.

Hope you enjoyed

Chris

Edited by Live2fish85

Thanks guys. Was awesome to get out there and Mike I was extremly pumped lol.

Pikeslayer I am good. The surgery was a bust and didn't work. Ended up back in the hospital for the heart but I am just taking it easy and taking the meds. The heart bugs me alot still but just have to keep going and try not to think about it lol.

Thanks for asking as well.

cograts on the pike :thumbsup_anim: it sure is fun to catch pike with fly rod. it looks like awesome scenery up there!

Thanks man. It is a blast catching them on the fly rod. I can't wait to get another on the fly.

The scenery was nice. Nothing like going up north and being surrounded by nature and the smell of the north.

Smells a hell of alot better then Hamilton.

I do really want to get some carp on the fly Rick. The point out at there place has tons of them and some real monsters.

I am going to do some research on how to target them and then go bring the kids to see grandma and grandpa lol.

I don't know how I miss this one Chris... Sorry :blush: Looks like you've found a new way of fishing and you've adapted well to the new style :thumbsup_anim: Great job :clapping:

Got to be a great feeling to hook and land your first on the new setup B)

Again great job and thanks for sharing!

Jacques

I don't know how I miss this one Chris... Sorry :blush: Looks like you've found a new way of fishing and you've adapted well to the new style :thumbsup_anim: Great job :clapping:

Got to be a great feeling to hook and land your first on the new setup B)

Again great job and thanks for sharing!

Jacques

Thank you Jacques, I appreciate it.

It is a great feeling to land something on a new setup and a great feeling getting them on your own flies.

RC they sure do smash them. Don't know what was hooked better at first the hook or they materials in teeth lol.