Question - starting the boat for the 1st time and its smoking

mirogak

Time to give some attention to local lakes and Walleye fishing. Got the boat out, cleaned it, put the water muffs on, made sure all pipes are connected, and gave it a start, it started but then some smoke started coming out. Thinking I'll show it to my mechanic tomorrow but wondering if this is normal. I did have it winterized last fall. It has a 2-stroke 1986 70 HP Evinrude on it.

What do you think?

photo5-1.jpg

Edited by letsgofishing

I started to run SeaFoam in my gas, since then my 88 50hp Evinrude always puffs some smoke on morninig startup. Smoke is just a way for the ol motors to say hello, I'm still alive.

Edited by krixxer

They are on the back of the boat

You must display the licence number on both sides of the bow, above the water line, in block characters that are at least 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) high and in a colour that contrasts with the colour of the bow. Displaying on the back of the boat is the same as not having them on there at all. I'd really like to see a pic of a registration number on the back of a boat. I've never seen that.

You must display the licence number on both sides of the bow, above the water line, in block characters that are at least 7.5 centimetres (3 inches) high and in a colour that contrasts with the colour of the bow. Displaying on the back of the boat is the same as not having them on there at all. I'd really like to see a pic of a registration number on the back of a boat. I've never seen that.

But Roy.......what if he only back trolls all the time........ :rofl2:

Edited by Billy Bob

It sounds like fogging oil. Run it on the muffs for about 10minutes. If it continues to smoke I would say its more than fogging oil. My motor usually smokes for about 1-2 minutes after start up the first time in the season. It will smoke if your on the throttle, but should smoke very little, if at all on idle.

Okay - now I remember this is the first boat I ever bought. When I first got it, my younger brother wanted to remove all the stickers and put some new fancy colored ones. He started peeling that serial number on the one side of the hull but that's when I pointed out to him that its probably not a good idea. Long story short, I have the number on one side of the boat and not the other.

But there are some other numbers engraved in the back of the boat next to the transom. Not sure what those are.

If I remember it, I will take some pics and post here.

Ciao

Miro

PS: thx for the heads up ... you think I'll get a ticket for it if its missing on one side?

Edited by letsgofishing

It sounds like fogging oil. Run it on the muffs for about 10minutes. If it continues to smoke I would say its more than fogging oil. My motor usually smokes for about 1-2 minutes after start up the first time in the season. It will smoke if your on the throttle, but should smoke very little, if at all on idle.

Yes, I ran it today for about 5 minutes and all the smoke disappeared.... thanks. Was gonna take it out for a ride on Lake O but apparently I can't locate the plug that I took out. So need to pay a vist to the mechanic nonetheless... bummer.

I got curious ... here is that number

photo-1.jpg

and that number in the back of the boat ... guess its not the hull registration number

photo1.jpg

Edited by letsgofishing

if i was to hazard a guess, these numbers that your brother were peeling off would still show the previous owners name if processed..

apologies if you have applied to place the numbers into your name already. just gettin' a feeling....