Opinions on used tow vehicles

JoshS

Holy moly , this is not Dan with a french last name , that owned a tow truck one time many years ago and lived down on Exter road and Warncliff for a bit till he moved some where eles in the city ???????

Well I have a French last name (that no one pronounces properly) and I've lived and worked as a mechanic in London for more years then I want to remember; but I never owned a tow truck or lived on or near Exeter road.

So I ain’t your man; especially if he owes you money. LOL

Dan.

Roy's post was only the second of the thread, but I read no further...and neither do you.

It's the original, and still the greatest off-road vehicle ever made.

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

I had Mopar products.......but that was before I had a job...... :whistling:

Roy's post was only the second of the thread, but I read no further...and neither do you.

It's the original, and still the greatest off-road vehicle ever made.

But the thread got off topic. He's not looking for a off road vehicle, he's looking for a tow vehicle, preferably an SUV, to drive around the city mostly and tow a 16 foot boat. A small 6 cyl. pickup, or mid-size SUV would be perfect for what he was describing.

But the thread got off topic. He's not looking for a off road vehicle, he's looking for a tow vehicle, preferably an SUV, to drive around the city mostly and tow a 16 foot boat. A small 6 cyl. pickup, or mid-size SUV would be perfect for what he was describing.

Yah I guess if he is comfortable tucking his goods between his legs while he drives he can go buy a Rav4 or a Murano. lol

Be a man get a jeep.

:tease:

You can tow just about whatever you want with a 4.0 litre Wrangler, it's the also the original SUV, and it's great in the city.

I've never spoken with anyone who has ever owned a CJ, YJ, TJ, or XJ that regrets it. Nor do they regret the subsequent Wranglers they purchase.

Glad to see you guys are having a good time on this thread :w00t:

Think this is the one: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Jeep/Wrangler/ORILLIA/Ontario/19_5437645_/

What do you guys think?

I'm kind of sold on the Wranglers look and always wanted one. I've spent many hours online researching and going back and forth with sellers. Hopefully it checks out. Price seems right. Wish me luck.

Thanks again for the help, always can count on some good advice here...

give 'er. the 4.0 I6 is bulletproof. I had the same motor in my old XJ (regular Cherokee) the entire drivetrain ran till nearly 400ks before I sold it -- the body definately showed it's age.

Think this is the one: http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Jeep/Wrangler/ORILLIA/Ontario/19_5437645_/

What do you guys think?

I'm kind of sold on the Wranglers look and always wanted one. I've spent many hours online researching and going back and forth with sellers. Hopefully it checks out. Price seems right. Wish me luck.

The price is pretty good.

Price is pretty decent. Some spots to check...

RUST

Follow the Roll cage down to the floor beside the drive and passenger seats there should be no rust

Check the underside of the wheel wells the top flat piece

Check the frame especially in the bends in the rear

Mechanics

It shouldn't sway on the highway

It shouldn't rebound like crazy going over bumps

Check for any abuse on the skid plates

If its a stick make sure it shifts smoothly

Ask when the fluids were last changed and with what types(differentials, Transaxle, oil etc...)

What do you guys think?

So then......your comfortable with a vehicle someone beat the crap out of it, OFF ROAD......not for me.....THINK ABOUT THAT...... :whistling:

I've been shopping for a tow vehicle that can tow my 16 footer aluminum. My budget is tight.. would like to keep it under 9k.

Tons of info online but wanted to ask here...

Can you guys offer some advice on some makes and models to look at and ones to stay away from? I know it more depends on the cars mechanics but some overall advice on the good/bad out there is what I'm looking for. Mostly looking into used SUV's over trucks b/c parking for me is always tight on my street. Also, I won't be doing a ton of towing, more city driving for work. Thanks a bunch.

If your buying from a private seller, YOU NEED TO READ THIS:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/used.shtml

and insist the package is provided. Way too many 'curbsiders' out there.

Even if it is from a dealer, I would want the same package.

That's my nickel,

Slayer

So then......your comfortable with a vehicle someone beat the crap out of it, OFF ROAD......not for me.....THINK ABOUT THAT...... :whistling:

I'm not comfortable with anything.. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to cars :rofl2:

Apparently it is the wifes car, body is in good shape, never been off roading etc. It has less than 100k on it in 9 years so not driven a lot. I'm going to get it checked out at a shop Friday and still shopping around... But comparable to what I've seen out there, this ones seems to be the best.

If your buying from a private seller, YOU NEED TO READ THIS:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/used.shtml

and insist the package is provided. Way too many 'curbsiders' out there.

Even if it is from a dealer, I would want the same package.

That's my nickel,

Slayer

Thanks Slayer, the seller is arranging for this. Good tip.

aW SOME jOSH , dose'nt appear to be off roaded , i'd try to pull the price down to and start a 5 and i think you'll meet in the middle , hope you get it .

Thanks Skip, will do. I know you're up that way and collect those things so don't go buying it now!

Here's a good question: Do 8 foot musky rods fit in a TJ?

Thanks Skip, will do. I know you're up that way and collect those things so don't go buying it now!

I wood say no not straight, maybe on an angle. My 7 foot bass rods had to be put in on an angle.if you are going to compare a few sit in a liberty. Not as rugged as a wrangler but a much more comfortable vehicle to drive. A wrangler is cooler though.

I have owned a few Jeeps with the same 4.0 . Engine is bulletproof but transfer case tends to be average. TJs are fun. Go for it if you have always wanted one.

By the way, the 4 liter is an inline 6, not a V6

Its ok Josh ,its all yours for right now my friend , i am up to my neck in Jeeps at the moment .... lol . Do 8' musky rods fit in a TJ ? , just barley , but i did bring home some new 8' floresent light tubes in mine with the passenger seat folded down all the way forward with the back seat folded over but not fliped up against the back of front seats with the hard top on , probably much easyer to do with the soft top on tho . Keep in mine Josh if you can get this TJ before some one eles beats you to it that you will have bought the ultimate in out door vehicles , you can do the roof rack thing for your rods or perhapes mount a couple rod holders on the back bumper and have them standing there just like we do with them in the back of our boats . This way guys we will know who it is that we are fallowing down the hi way lol ..... Happy Jeep'en & fish'en Josh , hope it all can come together for you . good.gif

I did put in brakes late last summer but that's it........MUCH MUCH MUCH better then any Detroit truck I have ever owned......

Maybe you should call the Toyota plant and suggest they also put brakes (that work) in all their vehicles.....in case the gas pedal sticks!!!!! :rofl2:

Maybe you should call the Toyota plant and suggest they also put brakes (that work) in all their vehicles.....in case the gas pedal sticks!!!!! :rofl2:

So MISINFORMED aren't you.......that proved to be a hoax on all that Bull...to this day I didn't get the suggested Bull repair on my Tundra......

BTW the Tundra brakes are MUCH superior to any 1/2 ton Detroit built crappola.....the front brakes are HUGE and have FOUR pistons on the callipers not one like the cheapo you might be driving..... :whistling:

Now back to our regular programming....LOL........ :)

Yes, you're right... my brand new 2012 Sierra Crew Cab is def a "cheapo". :whistling:

NO....it wasn't cheap to purchase......and you will be paying dearly for it forever.......repairs up the wazoo.....what I meant is it's built CHEAPLY.....how do I know.......I had several....as a matter of fact I use to take care of a fleet of GM pickups when I worked on the RR......we ALWAYS had one in the shop for repairs....... :rolleyes:

Good Luck with it....maybe you will get lucky..... :)

......I had several....as a matter of fact I use to take care of a fleet of GM pickups when I worked on the RR......we ALWAYS had one in the shop for repairs....... :rolleyes:

Isn't that a union job? So more than likely, one always had to be in the shop to keep the union mechanic guys "busy".... :rofl2: