Opinions on used tow vehicles

JoshS

I've been shopping for a tow vehicle that can tow my 16 footer aluminum. My budget is tight.. would like to keep it under 9k.

Tons of info online but wanted to ask here...

Can you guys offer some advice on some makes and models to look at and ones to stay away from? I know it more depends on the cars mechanics but some overall advice on the good/bad out there is what I'm looking for. Mostly looking into used SUV's over trucks b/c parking for me is always tight on my street. Also, I won't be doing a ton of towing, more city driving for work. Thanks a bunch.

What kind of 16 aluminium?

That could be a row boat style or a big heavy deep V...

For the most part you don't need a heck of a lot to tow a 16 footer of any kind...

Unless

You use a back country dirt launch...

You launch in below 0 weather...

Or you use a really steep launch...

What kind of 16 aluminium?

That could be a row boat style or a big heavy deep V...

For the most part you don't need a heck of a lot to tow a 16 footer of any kind...

Unless

You use a back country dirt launch...

You launch in below 0 weather...

Or you use a really steep launch...

I'm rolling in a 16.1 deep V with a 75. Don't know the exact weight. I will be fishing until ice up in it. Would like something equipped for most conditions.

Roy - thanks for the tip. I've been looking closely at Jeeps, more so the Liberty and old Cherokee's (b/c of the price) but I've heard more bad than good on them which has kind of steered me away. I'll look at the Wranglers.

Look for a jeep grand cherokee, I have one. Really nice vehicle. Tows well, roomy inside, can get a 4.0 V6 or the 4.7 V8. Ur better off getting the V8 as u'll get better gas milage out of it. Its a 4x4 so u won't have problems at any ramps.

U should be able to find one in the 2005 range with fairly low km's for under 9 k easy. Prolly even newer models for under 9k if u look around enough.

I like my liberty. Lots of grunt, haven't had any issues with it. Way more comfortable to drive on the highway than any wrangler I had, and better on gas than any of my cherokees. How many seats do you need? And dito as above on the gravel and dirt ramps. 4x4 is a god send when pulling a boat out of the water on a rainy muddy ramp.

I tow a 17' lund, 90 horse, with a 4.0L ranger...acceleration and braking are very minorly affected, never felt under powered, not winning any mountain races but climbs with no worries...great for rough ramps/beach launching, rough backroads, etc...i have a 2000 and 09, both 4L 4x, never had a major repair on either, just regular maintenance, easy to work on, beat the snot out of my first ranger and it sucked it all up....respectable mileage(not great, 18ish mpg)and easy with city driving and parking....should be able to find 05-07 for your price

cherokees are good vehicles to tow but hogs on the wallet otherwise, friend tows with a liberty and he echo's jedi's reply

I also have a Grand Cherokee 4.7 v8 (2001). With your budget you could get much newer. Very happy with it. The poster above is right -- in the Grand Cherokee at least, mileage is better on the hwy (21-22 mpg) and/or towing with the v8 than the 6 cyl. It is worse in the city that the 6. Do your research. I'd also look at the Ford Explorer. More room inside than my Jeep.

Thanks for all the replies. So much out there... the guidance is helpful.

I'm looking for info on what brands offer the best value when buying used and can be said to be dependable more so than others. I've checked out a few pathfinders, 4 runnners, liberties, cherokees, a Suzuki, I've been told to stay away from explorers... lots of options out there! Need this truck to last me a few years of fishing until I can afford to upgrade.

I've heard so many mixed opinions on the liberty, heard it is known to be troublesome before '06? Also have been told rav4's are not ideal for towing because of the small frame they are built on.

I don't mind the rangers but a pickup would be tough to park every night for me on my street and would need 4 seats.

I would be towing in all conditions and definitely want 4x4 for sure.

Before my Toyota Tundra I towed this boat with a 2002 Ford Escape without any problems whatsoever......

SturgeonLakeatCliffsHouse6-24to7-1-11094.jpg

SturgeonLakeatCliffsHouse6-24to7-1-11058.jpg

The Ford Escape comes with over 200hp with plenty of torque.....and if you get one that has the tow package as mine did, it comes with a tranny cooler AND a engine oil cooler.....I also towed this trailer out west......through Ontario....including 17 states and over the continental divide twice (over 10,500 feet) while putting on 6,500 miles in 30 days....AGAIN without any problems whatsoever....

July2006OutWestCampingTrip143.jpg

BTW this trailer weighed in at 3,000 lbs loaded....but it did have it's own electric brakes....

Put it this way, pretty much ANY V6 with real 4x4, not awd or locking 4wd, or anything like that will more than likely pull anything within reason that you would want in relation to the size of boat you are looking for. A true 4x4 will typically have big brakes and a strong frame without even having to wonder if its built on a car chasis or something like that.

Now for the bad news, a vehicle with 4x4 will be bad on gas. Your gonna have to accept that. Many pickups get as good mileage as any SUV so you aren't gonna save much in gas by going SUV. As far as reliability goes, brand X or Model Y is as reliable as the people driving it, I now people with corollas that blew head gaskets at 100k, I had a corolla that rotted away with 700,000km's on it. Drive it like a used car (EG don't flog the hell out of it), fix what needs to be fixed and keep the fluids topped up and clean and more than likely ANY 4x4 vehicle will do you just fine. I have heard of Xterra's have major issues with the superchargers, I have heard of Lib's having issues, Durango's, explorers, yota's honda's, fords etc.... 10k is a good chunk of change as far as a used SUV goes. my '05 liberty with 104,000 km's cost me 5000 dollars.

If I was going to rec a truck I would look at the .05 and up Dakota short box quad cabs. not too huge, looks current, and reasonably reliable enough.

P.S , they also double up as the boat on some days when you need to get back in there to find the good fishing holes .....lol , I have one for each special job i need then for and would never be with out my jeeps since buying my first one back in 2004 . The only time i find them hard on gas is when i use the four wheel drive other then that they are great , keep in mind that they do have a small fuel tank .

Edited by Skipper " D "

I tow an 18' Lund with a 2 door 2004 GMC Jimmy. I bought it for $4400 and that included taxes, registration fees, certification and e test. It only had 130,000klms when I purchased. It's 4 wheel drive, got a short wheel base and a 4.3l v6 and it's rated to tow 5500lbs. I like it.

I pulled a number of TJ's out of the mud with this...

jeep-1.jpg

Mind you this was more fun to drive around in during the summer...

JEEP1.jpg

But jeep cherokee owners don't wave at one another on the road like the TJ guys do ........ rofl2.gif

yah me too. Its really hard to drive something else once you get jeep in your blood.

I have had 2 TJ's a cherokee and now the liberty. in between I had a silverado, Stealth and a corolla but I always end up in a jeep.

If I had the money I would be in a 4 door Wrangler right now. I think that will be my next vehicle. I need 5 seats.

If you can swing it, stay away from anything domestic, you will eventually pay more in the long run for repairs. Nissan Frontier is probably the best truck in the industry, no matter the size and Toyota make a fine vehicle as well, although generally more pricey.

I picked up a 2000 Nissan Xterra with low mileage for $4700 last year. The body is mint and it tows really well, just love it.