3rd time was the charm for me (video and pics)

mirogak

Last summer while camping at Tea Lake and while swimming in the beach area, I saw a dark fish very close by, I found it was a lake trout. Then after doing further research I ran into Brook Trout and found out how it is one of the most sought after fish. Long story short, the chase was ON.

My first try:

Closing day 2011 I hit some stocked lakes but failed.

My 2nd try:

Season opener 2012, slept in -11 degree nights but failed.

My 3rd try:

This past May 24 long weekend I hit AP again. This time I went backcountry after numerous people told me "you want Brookies, you gotta put the work into it"

Having never done backcountry and not having all the "right" equipment (compact this and foldable that) I just packed up my regular exterior camping supplies into a 60L backpack and so did my buddy.

We entered AP through the west side.

About 5k paddle into a 1.5k straight uphill portage. I know 1.5k is not too much but with those kinds of backpacks and the fact that my novice buddy was adamant that we should do it one trip, we decided to wear our backpacks and carry the canoe at the same time. What a mistake that was.

Anyhow, we reached one of the most beautiful elevated lakes I had ever seen. Set up camp quickly as daylight was running out. We paddled and hit another portage into another lake which was at even higher elevation. We probably had only about two hours of daylight left.

First 1 hour nothing and then my buddy wanted to get back to camp. I said NO WAY ... I gotta get this monkey off my back and decided to continue fishing. As soon as I said that ... Bam!!! got one... (you will see it in the video)

Then I was getting ready for my next cast and my line was straight down in the water just 5 or 6 feet under the canoe, I was looking down to see the depth of water, and I could not BELIEVE MY EYES. There were two brookies (a small one and a big one) circling my BlackFury spinner with a piece of worm on it. Told my buddy to shhhhhhhhhhhh ... I started jigging just a tad bit. And that's when the big bad boy just pounced on it. And I had my second brookie.

photo2.jpg

photo8.jpg

Two Brookies back to back! I was a happy man. When I held the bigger fish I had a moment of awe and wonder. Such a beautiful fish and a streamlined body. I know it sounds silly but I felt like it was telling me "Ok now you have seen me, now let me go" .... And I almost wanted to but then again I had worked too hard for this. I had to taste him.

The next day our worms had gone bad, we had left it exposed under the sun. We only got one little guy maybe 14 inches.

I will let the video do the rest of the talking.

Enjoy and thanks to all of you guys who helped me with getting ready for backcountry and a shout out to a fellow OFC'er who put me on this lake.

PS: when watching the video change the quality to HD by clicking the 1st button on the bottom right corner.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RlEsvW5umYA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Miro

Edited by letsgofishing

Well my first brookies were nothing like that. :(

As a matter of fact I have caught very few brookies like that ever.

Nice fish. :clapping:

Ditto, he's spoiled now for life. :rolleyes: As a teen on my bike I caught 100's of brookies from a small Niagara Creek, best was 14 inches if I recall. Not till dad bought the cottage in Haliburton and we got the canoe into a few back lakes did we ever get fish like that. Good going man :thumbsup_anim:

Great video! Nice job. They just can't resist the black fury. Those Muskoka Brewery beers looked pretty yummy. Don't throw your smokes out the window! lol. I was admittedly bad for that back when I smoked.

It looks like you guys had a great time. Beauty brookies.

Great job on the video! I enjoyed it very much. What type of camera were you using?

Looks like you had a great time and are anxious to do it again.

Regards,

Snowball

I was using my GoPro camera which I bought las boxing day at a good price. Yep great time for sure. I wish I had caught on in my younger years. I guess better late than never.

There was music?...didnt even notice because i was too fixated on the scenery....That is an excellent production Miro...and kudos to you for the shout out to the forum...it shows the your pride of being a member when your producing the pride of your journey...and an excellent journey it was...GOOD ON YA !!!! :clapping:

There was music?...didnt even notice because i was too fixated on the scenery....That is an excellent production Miro...and kudos to you for the shout out to the forum...it shows the your pride of being a member when your producing the pride of your journey...and an excellent journey it was...GOOD ON YA !!!! :clapping:

Thank you ... And yes I have learned quite a bit on this site, so the shout out is well deserved.

congrats on acheiving your quest - a great feeling - and you did it in style.. Those are some sweet specks. Your efforts were well rewarded

Plus - your portage out was all downhill

great vid - thanks for taking the time to put that together. AP is a place that speaks to the inner being on lakes like that.

Lol @ Musky or Specks ... Couldn't have done it this soon without some help from trout masters such as yourself.

@ Spincast - thx and u are bang on about those kind of AP lakes and theiir connection to us.

Edited by letsgofishing

That is some pretty sweet redemption right there....way to go!! Looking forward to many more reports from you like this one thumbsup_anim.gif

This Fall, and next Spring, you're going to see guys posting on here about where to go in AP for brookies. Now YOU are one of those guys who can say "you want 'em? You gotta work for 'em". w00t.gif And you've got the proof to show that that's all it takes.

Great video man and congrats on hooking into your first few brookies.

My only suggestion would be to get your buddy to not toss his cigarette butts out the window (instead use the car ashtray to store them until a garbage can is found), especially at this time of the year because quite often that is a main cause of backcountry forest fires. We don't want what's happening in Timmins and Kirkland Lake to happen in AP!

Great report, thanks for sharing!!

Edit: Just noticed someone else commented about the cigs, don't mean to pile on.

Edited by GreenCanada

Great report. I have never been to AP. I was planning on going this spring but i didn't get the chance. Seeing this report and how beautiful those back lakes are makes me eager to go.

It's a gem my friend. Once discovered, never forgotten.

Cast Iron fry pan? You should have asked what not to take on portages.laugh.gif

Lol, I know Harold. That's why I said it was the toughest 1.5k uphill portage of my life. I was even carrying those propane tanks that you buy at crappy tire and a four person tent. Can't buy everything all at once ;)

But all worth it.

Miro