NF - Phone/Computer scam

SlowPoke

For more info, google "eventvwr scam"

The timing couldn't be better. I was in the midst of sorting and photocopying paperwork when I get the phone call. He asked for me by name and said I was receiving this call because I may have a virus on my windows op computer. It smelled like a scam or a sales pitch from the beginning so I had some fun with the guy from an offshore call center. 3 or 4 minutes of 'I don't know what operating system my computer has".

Once we established my operating system, he directed my to hit the win+r (run command shortcut) on my computer). I wasted another 3-4 minutes having him explain where it was on the keyboard before I finally said "I found it". We did a couple of minutes of "did you hit them at the same time? what does it say?" In the meantime, I continued to sort and photocopy.

I exclaimed some frustration and asked "is my computer supposed to be on while I do this?" Hehehehe

Another 4-5 minutes keeping him on hold while the computer was starting... "It's really slow on startup..."

I told him "okay, I'm ready.... what key was that again?"

So, now he goes through letter by letter of what to type into the run command while I asked "what was that letter again?"

"E as in echo" he says

"Echo, is that spelled ecco?

You get the how this is gonna go... 4-5 minutes later

He says "read it back to me"

I said "EVENTVWR"

He says "Good, now hit enter and tell me what it says"

I said "according to Google, it says Beware of eventvwr scam"

Click.... dial tone.

We got one of those calls today, Sue told him there was nothing wrong with our computer, he called her a liar!

That isn't a smart thing to call my wife, anyone that knows Sue knows she wouldn't lie to save her life. Sue was a lady and just handed me the phone, told me what he'd said and smiled.

I wasn't nearly as polite as you were and told him point blank where I thought I'd like to put my computer, he still tried to convince me that he was from Microsoft and my computer had a virus but he could help me fix it.

Lets just say I bet he learned a few Engilsh words he'd never heard before. I'd have kept going but he got the idea and hung up. This is about the 4th call we've had in the last two months like this, I wonder how many it will take before they get the idea?

• 1 month later...

Had another call moments ago...

In very broken english...

"Hello, it's Peter from Windows help centre. I'm calling you because we have received a report that you may have a virus on your Windows computer"

I said "sorry, what was your name again?"

He said "I am calling from Windows..."

"No, what is YOUR name"

"Ummmm, Peter"

"Where are you calling from, Peter"

"I'm calling from Windo...."

"No, what city are you calling from?"

"Ummmm, I'm calling from Washington, Seattle Washington"

"Peter, what is the capital city of Washington?"

Silence... banter...silence

"Seattle"

"No Peter, it's not Seattle, it's Spokane" (I now know after looking it up that its Olympia LOL)

"Oh yes, Spokane!"

Silence.

"Peter, I hope you can stay on the line for a few more minutes while we trace this call"

Click. Dial tone.