Which Rod for Which Application

mercman

Just a quick one, then i am off to bed and will check in, in the morning.

I have an 8ft XH fast action St Croix Musky rod and a 7ft H fast action Compre. Which of the 2 should i rig as a trolling rod, and which as a casting rod? I have heard longer is better for casting Musky, and i have heard that longer is better for trolling Musky.

I will expect an answer by morning...Nite everyonerofl2.gif

I used to troll with my 7' Compres and did OK, but was always worried about the rod snapping when a big one would hit. Last year I picked up an 8' Okuma EVx musky rod that has fiberglass in it - absorbs a bit of that initial impact, especially when the weather gets cold in the fall - and it is now my go-to rod for trolling. As for the length aspect - if you only had the two rods to choose from, I would make the 7' the trolling rod and the 8' the casting rod - the 8' should give you better casting distance, hooksets, figure 8's, etc.

Edited by Fisherpete

Just a quick one, then i am off to bed and will check in, in the morning.

I have an 8ft XH fast action St Croix Musky rod and a 7ft H fast action Compre. Which of the 2 should i rig as

a trolling rod, and which as a casting rod? I have heard longer is better for casting Musky, and i have heard that longer is better for trolling Musky.

I will expect an answer by morning...Nite everyonerofl2.gif

Comfort first; fishin is like any other sport, whatever gives u the confidence is the ticket!

I'd be using the 8'5" for both applications. The extra fast tip isn't ideal but it'll do the job. Your back will thank you if casting heavy baits for more than an hour or two. The disadvantage to long rods for casting muskie baits is that they make doing figure eights more tedious especially if you're vertically challenged such as myself and even worse when your on a low boat. Another thing to consider is two guys on a short boat swinging 8'6" rods armed with lethal weapons on the end is a recipe for disaster....be careful. For trolling I prefer a longer, slow action rod. Even more so if you're using it as a down rod.

Other than Roy and Pete, WTH are you guys doing up in the wee hours of the AM ? I appreciate your views. I was playng Rod Roulette this week, changeing reels and trying to find the perfect combinations with the equipment i own. For now you have helped me enormously, but i can see at least one more rod and reel in my future.Wish me luck wit da wife on that.unsure.gifw00t.gif

Now off to spend the day with Mom in Ottawa.

I would also want to know what reel you have on both rods and what baits you plan on casting. If I had to choose one for each application I would use the compre for trolling and the St croix for casting, escpecially if you plan on throwing a lot of blades or bulldogs, as the added length of the rod will allow you to make wider turns on the figure 8 and speed up the bait. If you are throwing glide baits and jerk baits I would think that you would be ok with the compre.

You're all wrong!

Keep them both for casting and add another setup to the arsenal for trolling.

Put a nice linecounter reel on a downrigger rod for trolling. The glass content in a DR rod is much more forgiving and the flex will show you when those big baits are thumping. When they stop thumping, your hook is fouled or you have speared a bait fish.

I'd be using the 8'5" for both applications. The extra fast tip isn't ideal but it'll do the job. Your back will thank you if casting heavy baits for more than an hour or two. The disadvantage to long rods for casting muskie baits is that they make doing figure eights more tedious especially if you're vertically challenged such as myself and even worse when your on a low boat. Another thing to consider is two guys on a short boat swinging 8'6" rods armed with lethal weapons on the end is a recipe for disaster....be careful. For trolling I prefer a longer, slow action rod. Even more so if you're using it as a down rod.

Wouldn't longer rods make figure 8's easier? Certainly takes strain off your lower back. I like casting rods to be as long as possible. I have a 7'6" jerkbait rod and I had an 8' MH for everything else but found it was too weak throwing big soft plastics so I picked up a 9' extra heavy and it adds distance to my casts and I feel I can really load up on it more with heavy baits.

Ok here is the equipment

Rods

Quantum PT 6'6" medium fast

Quantum PT 7' medium Xfast

Compre 6'8" MH fast

Compre 7' H fast

St Croix 6'6" MF fast

St Croix 8'6" XH fast

Reels

Citica 200d

Curado 300e

Corvalus CVL300

Okuma Convector CV30D (Musky)

Daiwa Accudepth 27LC (Walleye)

Abu Ambassadeur 5000 (I want to try it for jigging or fishing plastics)

Right now i have the Citica on the 7 Ft Quantum. The Curado is on the 7FT Compre.The Okuma is on the 8.8 St Croix. The Corvalus is on the 6 8 Compre.The Ambassadeur is on the St Croix 6.5

The Daiwa shares the 7ft Compre.

I have s spare Quantum 6.5dunno.gif

Sorry to hijack but are you guys going to stock any of the TI shallow superD's?

Hey Fishgreg, just caught this. Yes sir, they are on their way as well as a bunch of their other baits.