1st attempt at river fly fishing (video only - NO fish)

mirogak

Just thought I upload this video of me hitting the Credit river this past weekend. Sun was bright, water was high and fast ... didn't get a bite but neither did the other fly fishermen I saw that day. Still fun though.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aQZa5OR8p-0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by letsgofishing

That was a great video, thanks for putting it up !!

I actually felt like I was the one doing the casting :lol:

Hahah yes - that is because the camera was mounted on my head :) almost at the eye level

If you're just starting out, you definitely want to fish in the evening after preferably a warm sunny day.. You'll get to the river and see all kinds of bugs coming off (and hopefully fish slurping them up!) Match the hatch (size is more important then exact colour) and give it a shot.

Fishing in the afternoon when the sun is high with zero cloud cover isn't easy at all.

Fishing in the afternoon when the sun is high with zero cloud cover isn't easy at all.

Thx for the tips.

Yes, wasn't easy at all. I felt like they were watching me the whole time tucked under the banks with a smurk on their face .... hahaha

Miro,

This club in Scarboro http://www.pathcom.com/~coachman/ used to teach casting and maybe still does. I don't know if Gord Deval is still active(Google him to see links to his books), but he was the instructor and a champion fly caster. They used a school gym in winter but had some activity in the summer. (I got to go to a couple of secret fishing spots with Gord & co. They used code names when referring to 2 of those lakes!thumbsup_anim.gif)

Irony is that I met these guys at this year's Toronto Sportsman Show. I was curios to join them, I have their card with me. These guys meet every Tuesday - they even teach you how to build fly rods. And yes Gord is still active according to the guy I was talking to at the booth. Now that you mentioned this group and given his track record, I think I will pay them a visit for sure.

Thanks!

Your casting looks pretty good for a new fly fisherman. Hell I don't think mine is any better and I have been doing it for a couple of seasons.

What were you using? I had success on the credit this past weekend swinging small BWO wet flies.

Your casting looks pretty good for a new fly fisherman. Hell I don't think mine is any better and I have been doing it for a couple of seasons.

What were you using? I had success on the credit this past weekend swinging small BWO wet flies.

Thanks - I was using BWO nymphs and emergers, also tried dries. Did you fish Saturday?

The video and music choice was excellent, pease and tranquility, which is what i look for when fly fishing, and exactly what i felt watching your video, could have watched that for an hour

Glad you liked it. I have got a "river mission" this summer, so stay tuned for more of these, hopefully with fish on the other end of the line.

Miro, just another heads up if you're planning a lot of resident fishing this summer. Bring a cheap thermometer with you to the river, if the temp is close to 70 degrees or over, the survival rate of any catch and released fish really goes down.. I usually stop fishing if the temps are that high..

Edited by BillM

Miro, just another heads up if you're planning a lot of resident fishing this summer. Bring a cheap thermometer with you to the river, if the temp is close to 70 degrees or over, the survival rate of any catch and released fish really goes down.. I usually stop fishing if the temps are that high..

Aah I see. But is that any fish or the cold water brookies and browns? And I was planning to hit the headwaters where the temps should be cooler. Can the head waters get that warm too?

Miro

It really depends on the type of summer we have.. If it's super hot with a little rain, even the headwaters of some systems will get that hot.. Just something to be aware of :)

A cheap pool thermometer works just fine. Lots of fly guys you'll see will have them on their vests.

Edited by BillM

It really depends on the type of summer we have.. If it's super hot with a little rain, even the headwaters of some systems will get that hot.. Just something to be aware of :)

A cheap pool thermometer works just fine. Lots of fly guys you'll see will have them on their vests.

Cool ... I'll source one too then. Thx.

Hey Miro, I was out Sunday, I didn't see much rising so I never touched the dries. I am surprised you got nothing on nymphs or emerges.

I found most fish hit at the end of the swing. Next time try the classic wet fly swing, its dead simple and it works. If you were fishing nymphs, often times when you are not getting any takes its likely one of two problems.

The first is that the fly is not getting down to the bottom, you should be ticking bottom every few casts. You may just need more.

The second can be drag so the fly does not appear to be drifting naturally under the water. If you are using an indicator a good measure is to make sure your indicator is drifting at the same rate as the bubbles on the water.

Bill I like the idea of thermometer and a very good point for our cold water fish.

Good point on the temps from Bill - last year the Upper Credit was over 70 by mid June, no biggie, that just means it's time to change over to bass which are great fun on the fly!

Get some of the smallest

type indicators and loop it on your leader about 1.5 to 2x the water depth above your fly (3ft deep - indicator 4.5 to 6ft above fly) it'll make seeing the hits much easier.

Nice vid by the way - you look the part creeping through the bushes at the start!

Edited by cuzza

Get some of the smallest

type indicators and loop it on your leader about 1.5 to 2x the water depth above your fly (3ft deep - indicator 4.5 to 6ft above fly) it'll make seeing the hits much easier.

Nice vid by the way - you look the part creeping through the bushes at the start!

Yes - the indicator is on my shopping list. And thx for the comment :)