suggestions on a substitute planner board reel(s)

vinnimon

Ive post before hand on my plans and all were great on a personally built planner board mast, built awesome actually. Ive purchased 2 penn 309 reels that I thought that work perfectly with the line, BUT!!!No, it didnt, it held half the line and there is too much friction in the line guide :wallbash: So Now im looking for another option to reel the line in with.

Yes i can buy the walker reels, but I dont want too. Im looking to make something different and possibly add an option to the reel in time(a ring gear)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

How about a winch from a boat trailer? They also sell the electric winches at Can Tire and Princess Auto that are quite cheap. They have remotes and you could just push a button to bring in the boards.

I was thinking that...but they are less then 1:1 ratio aren't they...?

That would be lots of cranking to bring in all that line...

I was thinking that...but they are less then 1:1 ratio aren't they...?

That would be lots of cranking to bring in all that line...

They also sell the electric winches at Can Tire and Princess Auto that are quite cheap. They have remotes and you could just push a button to bring in the boards ;)

FWIW, for 30 years now I've had a mast that plugs into the seat hole on the front casting platform, never used reels, use a piece of cedar 1X3" with a U notch in the both ends about 30 " long and pull them in and wrap on the stick like we did with a kite when a kid. OK, you can't adjust the length :whistling: I use 100 feet of heavy weed whacker line with a big swivel like you would use on a downrigger cable at both ends, find it easier than cranking and cranking on a small diameter direct drive reel.

Edited by dave524

FWIW, for 30 years now I've had a mast that plugs into the seat hole on the front casting platform, never used reels, use a piece of cedar 1X3" with a U notch in the both ends about 30 " long and pull them in and wrap on the stick like we did with a kite when a kid. OK, you can't adjust the length :whistling: I use 100 feet of heavy weed whacker line with a big swivel like you would use on a downrigger cable at both ends, find it easier than cranking and cranking on a small diameter direct drive reel.

Nice, good old reliable manual work!! I've been thinking about the seat post base routine as well. Don't kite flyers now even have fancy hand over hand winding pulley like devices for easing the burden of retrieving your kite that look to me like they would really work well?

Nice, good old reliable manual work!! I've been thinking about the seat post base routine as well. Don't kite flyers now even have fancy hand over hand winding pulley like devices for easing the burden of retrieving your kite that look to me like they would really work well?

My mast is actually a 5 foot section of galv TV tower masthead with a couple of eye bolts at the top for attaching the lines at the bottom it is welded to a 3 inch square plate with a piece of solid round stock to fit the hole for the seat.

Edit: with a 30" stick each wrap is 5 feet, you would need a 18" reel to recover that much per turn :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by dave524

Dave524 was the way I started to do it when I built my first mast. Fixed length of line and I attached to coat rack hooks on each side of the mast and wound the line back in around the hooks.At the end of the day put the boat into neutral and hand line the boards back in.

I've seen another neat system where they used galvanized cloth line pulleys, mounted on a cross bar attached to the mast. They drilled out a hole on each pulley spool and fastened a handle to each to wind the line back in. To lock down the pulley when line is out they just put a hook and eye type system in around the pulley openings on the spool.

My mast is actually a 5 foot section of galv TV tower masthead with a couple of eye bolts at the top for attaching the lines at the bottom it is welded to a 3 inch square plate with a piece of solid round stock to fit the hole for the seat.

Very nice......

Edit: with a 30" stick each wrap is 5 feet, you would need a 18" reel to recover that much per turn :thumbsup_anim:

Those are impressive numbers for sure and probably better than what I was thinking, this is it by the way; http://careywinders.com/2.html. Try googling "kite winder" and you'll see some other interesting designs.

Edited by SylvanOwner

i just used the plastic spools that the planer board line came on with stainless hole covers (to cover old plumbing or electrical holes in tiles and such) on each end, put 2 bearings in each end of the spools, made up a handle and they were good to go. they do take longer to reel in, but it works for me and i had all the stuff around the house.

one thing i've been having trouble figuring out is i used stainless rod going through the mast and mounted a reel on each side, but the turning spools tighten or loosen the knobs that hold the reels on. i've tried clear hose and then springs on the rod to prevent the spools from spinning the knobs off and it works fine if free spooling, but when i tighten the "drag" to slowly let line out it'll turn the knobs.

is there something i can use on the rod or in the knobs (threaded brass inserts) that'll act like a lock nut preventing the knobs form turning with the spools?

nice boards. i prefer this design that permits the boards to fold down without touching any hardware and risking loosing something. the holes are off center so they'll fold one way and stop when the boards are fully open. the angle with all the holes isn't really necessary, but i had never used boards before so i had no clue where to mount the line holder to make the boards run right. i also went with natural wood to avoid touching up chipped paint in the future and the wood soaks up some water making them pull even better. they work very well.

as for the mast, i went with some aluminum pipe that fits in the seat bases perfectly to avoid drilling holes and adding a base.

and a pic of the rod holders that use the seat post. again, i didn't want to drill holes or have mounting plates in the boat.

100_7068.jpg

100_7070.jpg

100_7071.jpg

100_7073.jpg

100_7074.jpg

100_7076.jpg

Edited by ch312

how do those eye bolts work on the mast? i was going to use replacement pulleys off big jon riggers, but couldn't find any so i used steel pulleys. last trip i noticed some abrasion on the board line from rubbing on the edge of the pulley.

how long have you been using that mast and have you noticed any wear from those eye bolts?