Heading to Nakina

OK, here's a question to get y'all distracted from the MNR and NHL talk!angel.png. We are going to a fairly remote drive-in cabin near Nakina for the first week of June, fishing for walleye and(we hope) some monster pike. What type of lures work best? Should we bother with the hassle of finding and carrying minnows? I figured drift fishing with minnows might be quite productive and give our arms a break from casting and be a change of routine from trolling.

I know Mike Solo has fished up there but he seems to be able to catch fish on a bare hook in a barrel, but what about the rest of you folks?

Of course, many of your tips would apply to other areas and might be appreciated by others who are looking to improve their 'luck'.

Thx for your input.

I did one trip to Nakina years ago........total of 8 guys....NO BAIT.....1080 walleyes caught and 243 pike were caught...

Our best lure was a 1/8oz all black bucktail jig.....but Mister Twisters also worked very well.....so a few dozen 1/8 and 1/4 once black jigs and you all set.....

BTW I don't think they would allow minnows from a outside source...

Now Go Catch a Fish,

Bob

Harold you don't need minnows, especially in June!!!

I would however bring a flat of worms packed in bedding. I always do, and oftentimes they make all the difference even on remote waters.

I often troll worm harnesses and bottom bouncers when prospecting for walleye, there's not much better.

As well I'll usually always tip my jig with half a worm when fishing for walleye.

Generally up there all I ever use are 3" twister tails in a variety of colors with either 1/4 or 3/8oz heads.

Beyond the worm harnesses and jigs, the walleye will be shallow at that time and you'll find success slow trolling a variety of floating stickbaits or small shallow diving Shad Raps or Wally Divers.

For pike you'll need both weedless and non weedless spoons.

Weedless, I'd go with 3/4 and 11/8oz Johnson Silver Minnows in both gold and silver.

I'll tip the silver ones with a 4" white twister tail and the gold ones with a chartreuse twister tail.

Non weedless spoons I'm VERY partial to Doctor spoons in the larger sizes. My favourite color is probably copper/orange, but yellow five of diamonds is good too.

Some 3/4-1oz spinnerbaits, some inline bucktail spinners in the same size, some more subtle baits like oversized Husky Jerks in the Tennessee Shad Color, and some oversized topwaters like Zara Spooks are all good for pike too.

When the pike are neutral or to use as a follow up bait, I like to have a 2nd rod rigged with an oversized plastic bait like an 8" white or black reaper.

Sometimes the soft plastics will save the day!

There's a few things that I'd consider "must haves" for each boat: A depth finder, a cradle to handle the pike,(much better than having a huge oversized net in the way), extra long pliers, hook cutters, heavy duty jaw spreaders, and most importantly gloves of some kind for handling the fish. The Normark fillet gloves are great.

Edited by solopaddler

same experience as BB. white twister tails work 90% of the time. oddly, the fish there must have measuring tapes, because sometimes it was 3" and sometimes 4".

if neither worked, slow death hooks with worms were very effective.

never tried the bucktails but ya cant argue with 1000+ fish!!

same experience as BB. white twister tails work 90% of the time. oddly, the fish there must have measuring tapes, because sometimes it was 3" and sometimes 4".

if neither worked, slow death hooks with worms were very effective.

never tried the bucktails but ya cant argue with 1000+ fish!!

Well actually 1080 walleyes between 8 guys on a week long trip is pretty crappy fishing. LOL!

That works out to 135 fish per man for the week or 19 fish per man each day.

On most trips we'll put well over 100 in each boat every day if we work at it...easy.

Guess you should have used some worms! :tease:

I rarely use bait for eyes "down here" and would never bother with it on a remote trip (however if you are not flying in, fill you boots).

Bait (worms) work, but the hassle of lugging them around, perch nibbles (may not be in the lake you're on) re-baiting and keeping them healthy. No Thanks. If you need to work a tough bite there are lots of plastics that will suit the need.

I found a jig and curly tail to also be quite tedious because you could never make a cast and reel in without having to take a walleye off. A least with a hard bait there was the occasional cast that went unencumbered by a fish.

For me I liked the gliding rap and saltwater version of the x-rap. The gliding rap doesn't go too deep, but the xrap can so be mindful of where you use it. Both worked for pike and walleye.

Edited by kickingfrog

You may not need minnows in June, but believe me, it helps out 100%.... We are flying into Unknown Lake with cochrane air on June21 and we will fly in 100 dozen with us.. Then on Tuesday (Mid Week check flight) we get another 100 dozen... We use them all.. Plus we take salted minnows, a flat of worms and a lb of leeches.... I am telling you, YOU CANNOT BEAT A JIG AND MINNOW!!! One year, my uncles friend caught a walleye 133 consecutive casts with jig and minnow..... To me and my travel partners, ITS WELL WORTH THE EFFORT!!!

PEACE

When you have days, with a flat lake, cold front, etc... Minnows help 100 %....

Thx for the tips! Keep 'er comin', boyz!clapping.gif

So, Mike, I guess I need some painkiller for my problematic rotator cuff?!

I found a jig and curly tail to also be quite tedious because you could never make a cast and reel in without having to take a walleye off. A least with a hard bait there was the occasional cast that went unencumbered by a fish.

I gather that this comment applies to places a bit further north than Grimsby?thumbsup_anim.gif

It sounds like I might have to crouch down in the boat to put on bait!??rofl2.gif

Edited by Knuguy

Thx for the tips! Keep 'er comin', boyz!clapping.gif

So, Mike, I guess I need some painkiller for my problematic rotator cuff?!

I gather that this comment applies to places a bit further north than Grimsby?thumbsup_anim.gif

It sounds like I might have to crouch down in the boat to put on bait!??rofl2.gif

You should be beat up pretty well by the end of the week Harold. :good:

Ha Ha. Sorry I wasn't more clear. This was on a fly-in out of Nakina.

You may not need minnows in June, but believe me, it helps out 100%.... We are flying into Unknown Lake with cochrane air on June21 and we will fly in 100 dozen with us.. Then on Tuesday (Mid Week check flight) we get another 100 dozen... We use them all.. Plus we take salted minnows, a flat of worms and a lb of leeches.... I am telling you, YOU CANNOT BEAT A JIG AND MINNOW!!! One year, my uncles friend caught a walleye 133 consecutive casts with jig and minnow..... To me and my travel partners, ITS WELL WORTH THE EFFORT!!!

PEACE

When you have days, with a flat lake, cold front, etc... Minnows help 100 %....

Wow! I'm trying to imagine your trip. You must have a big group to use so many minnows. How many people? I think we'll hedge our bets by taking a few anyway. It's not such a big hassle on a remote drive-in trip.

Wow! I'm trying to imagine your trip. You must have a big group to use so many minnows. How many people? I think we'll hedge our bets by taking a few anyway. It's not such a big hassle on a remote drive-in trip.

Harold if you want to hedge your bets bring a few minnow traps in with you and set them in likely spots around the lake. (In front of beaver dams, the mouth of a small inflowing creek, etc...).

As a resident of Ontario you're well within your rights to do this.

Our Yankee friends are forced to pay to have minnows flown in if they really feel the need.

Personally on a fly in with strict weight limits minnows are the last thing I'd fly in, but each to their own.

I loathe to flat out contradict anyone, but I believe they're completely unneccesary.

It goes without saying that minnows will work...obviously they will. But no one can possibly tell me that they'll do any better than a jig and worm especially in June.

For what it's worth there's two times of the year when I consider minnows essential, and I'm talking pressured water here, not fly in lakes. Very early in the season and very late. Early season, small minnows, late season, post turnover, huge minnows.

Of course the only way the non believers will convert, they'd have to be shown the light in person.

Which isn't likely going to happen. :)

Edited by solopaddler

Harold if you want to hedge your bets bring a few minnow traps in with you and set them in likely spots around the lake. (In front of beaver dams, the mouth of a small inflowing creek, etc...).

As a resident of Ontario you're well within your rights to do this.

Our Yankee friends are forced to pay to have minnows flown in if they really feel the need.

Personally on a fly in with strict weight limits minnows are the last thing I'd fly in, but each to their own.

I loathe to flat out contradict anyone, but I believe they're completely unneccesary.

It goes without saying that minnows will work...obviously they will. But no one can possibly tell me that they'll do any better than a jig and worm especially in June.

For what it's worth there's two times of the year when I consider minnows essential, and I'm talking pressured water here, not fly in lakes. Very early in the season and very late. Early season, small minnows, late season, post turnover, huge minnows.

Of course the only way the non believers will convert, they'd have to be shown the light in person.

Which isn't likely going to happen. :)

Yup, I've got to agree with Solo. Been on over 40 fly-ins with the last 30 being the first week of June. We used to just take crawlers and minnows, but I firmly believe that the crawler is a preferred meat of early season walleye. Minnows are a hassle for us Yankee folk. biggrin.gif I did make up a little supply of salted minnows last weekend using my own recipe.

I will also pick up about a pound and half of leeches again.

Have a great trip!