Putting in a new transducer

gordy28

Just picked up a new transducer at Lebarons in Mississauga today today (which was packed at 2 PM-opener's must be approaching)

We cracked our old one on the rocks.

The cable runs from the console to the back tucked underneath the side of the boat.

Anyone have any tricks on how to pull the old cord out while being able to track the path for the new cable? We didn't install the old one.

Nice guy at Lebaron said to tie a string to the old one, pull it out and use the string to guide the old one? I'm not quite sure I got what he meant.

Any help appreciated

Gordy

Just picked up a new transducer at Lebarons in Mississauga today today (which was packed at 2 PM-opener's must be approaching)

We cracked our old one on the rocks.

The cable runs from the console to the back tucked underneath the side of the boat.

Anyone have any tricks on how to pull the old cord out while being able to track the path for the new cable? We didn't install the old one.

Nice guy at Lebaron said to tie a string to the old one, pull it out and use the string to guide the old one? I'm not quite sure I got what he meant.

Any help appreciated

Gordy

Gordy

What he meant was tie a piece of string to the end that plugs into the fish finder (wrap it with electrical tape too). Make sure the string is pretty strong and more than long enough to reach all the way to the back of the boat (tie off the other end of the string to the steering wheel or a seat so you don't accidentally pull it though. when you pull the old transducer cable toward the stern of the boat the string will follow. When you pull the string out at the rear attach to the new transducer cable and reverse the procedure by pulling the string from the front.

Make sure you remove any wire ties that are holding the cable in place.

Pull 2 through and leave one in place, you never know when you want to add something and it's already there. Got one that tied off at the centre console going under the floor to the splash well/transom, cause you never know :whistling:

If the existing transducer was included with the boat when it was new then it may be tied wrapped to other wires; that is how mine was setup. I had to cut all of the tie wraps before removing the old cable. Don't yank too hard when you remove because you don't know what will come with it.

Has anyone ever tried to splice in a new transducer to the old cable....I would think you could do it in a spot that is protected from the elements...a little solder and some heat shrink wrap and it would be as good as new.

Thanks for the tips everyone

Will definitely take our time - the rope tip makes sense and I think this is how we will proceed

I believe we will be able to track the wiring and scout for tie downs through the storage compartments on the side of the boat - will do a thorough look through before beginning the installation...

Will be doing the work shortly after walleye opener in FMZ 17

Boat needs a good clean, vacuum and some TLC - so we will have it out of the water pulled into the driveway at the trailer getting her ready - ideally followed by an afternoon/dinner time fish!

Cant wait

Again - thanks for the help

Gordy

Has anyone ever tried to splice in a new transducer to the old cable....I would think you could do it in a spot that is protected from the elements...a little solder and some heat shrink wrap and it would be as good as new.

Not as easy as it seems.The cable is shielded and so if you do not get it right you will pick up frequency interference.A really bad splice and you can get

interference even from your bilge pump motor.