Auto parts mark up

Lunatic

The other day the fuel pump went on my truck,I got home by banging it with a hammer.

So I call a parts store for a price on the fuel pump.the guy tells me it's listed at 566.00 but for me it will be 400.00 mmmk so I call parts source and they tell me it's 469.00

A day goes by and I decide to call that part store again to make sure the part is in stock before I head down, different guy on the phone tells it's listed at just over 500.00 but it will be 288.69 ...oh! So he takes my name I head on over and tell them I spoke to so and so about a fuel pump. He looks my name up on his comp and says ya here you are. So I get an online fuel filter as well (2 birds 1 stone) after taxes I still saved about 112.00 then if I were to have gone a day earlier.

I remember a friend who used to pickup wholesale parts for delivery to garages telling me how insane markups were and told me a 10.00 bolt was about 100.00 by the time it hit the customer.

Its just insane how much markup and profit most of these places get.

All for a made in china chunk of plastic with a 2 dollar wire harness.

I just did my front pads and rotors on the minivan.

Carquest wanted $130 per raybestos (sp) rotor

Crappy Tire worked out to 260 for the kit

found local guy who got me upgraded rotors and ceramic pads for 105 cash

autozone USA all the time...

most parts ive bought so far have been half the price in the USA compared to canadian tire...

saved about 200-300 bucks on a catalytic converter this winter...

and i plan on going state side for tires for the car and truck when the time comes... ill saves hundreds per vehicle...

even accesories... i was looking at a toolbox for my truck... 400 usa...over 700 in canada...same manufacturer number...

He gave you " trade" price or level 3 pricing .... You never pay MSRP except at CTC .....it's an illusion .

I was a counter man for about 10 years , sometimes the garage will pay 12.00$ per rotor and sell them to you for 20$ plus install... You go to the same parts store and pay 25$ for them... In most cases it all depends on which counter person answers the phone ..

Randy

;)

You should see the discrepancy between prices in the US vs Canada.

I rarely if ever get parts from up here unless they are small items. Any big ticket items are bought stateside.

Exactly!!!!

All of my big ticket Honda parts have been ordered from a dealer in PA.

When I was buying the parts needed for the towing package on my Pilot I saved about $700 by purchasing from the US and having it shipped to me. Saved a bundle on a new grille when I had to replace it because of rock damage as well.

I just did a part search at autozone for the pump just to see the difference. I got the replacement delphi for 288.69 and autozone only has a cheap airtex brand for 249.00 so wouldn't have been Any savings for me. Unless I paid the 400.00

Edited by Lunatic

I was told my wifes car needed complete new rear brakes (disc). The price they gave me was $980 parts and labour.

I ended up getting the parts from a buddy that has a business account at the parts place and got all the parts for around $300. 2 hours later and we did the job.

Another thing that bothered me is the mechanic wanted to charge me $180/caliper. Cost was under $120 and what I didn't know was they also get another $60 for returning the old used caliper. Basically they make $120 off each caliper plus the labour.

If the book says its a 5 hour job, you get charged 5 hours even if it gets done in 1 or 2. That's how they make $$$.

I've yet to come across an honest mechanic. I realize everyone has to make a living but there is a limit.

The biggest scam out there is the "brake service" that they charge big bucks for. It's a joke.

I've yet to come across an honest mechanic.

We've got several mechanics on this board and every one is as honest as the day is long.

I wouldn't paint everybody with the same brush.

I have friends and family who are mechanics and I've worked in a few garages myself, they are as honest as they come. As a matter of fact there are a lot of jobs that are in the book as a 1.5 or 2.0 job that in reality should be a 3.0

But there are also a lot of shady ones out there which is why I do all my own work.

We've got several mechanics on this board and every one is as honest as the day is long.

I wouldn't paint everybody with the same brush.

You misinterpreted what I said.

I'm not saying every mechanic is a scammer, I'm saying in my personal dealings I've yet to come across an honest Mechanic.

I've been ripped off and am jaded from it. I WISH I had a guy I could go to that was honest, if you do, consider yourself lucky to have one.

I was told my wifes car needed complete new rear brakes (disc). The price they gave me was $980 parts and labour.

I ended up getting the parts from a buddy that has a business account at the parts place and got all the parts for around $300. 2 hours later and we did the job.

Another thing that bothered me is the mechanic wanted to charge me $180/caliper. Cost was under $120 and what I didn't know was they also get another $60 for returning the old used caliper. Basically they make $120 off each caliper plus the labour.

If the book says its a 5 hour job, you get charged 5 hours even if it gets done in 1 or 2. That's how they make $$$.

I've yet to come across an honest mechanic. I realize everyone has to make a living but there is a limit.

The biggest scam out there is the "brake service" that they charge big bucks for. It's a joke.

take a look at your invoice again if I pay 120 for a caliper i am also charged an extra 60 as a core charge that is not something the customer pays for, it is a way for the rebuilders to get there parts back so i am paying 180 for the caliper up front and get my credit back when my supplier picks up the core.

flat rate system everyone rabid dogs when i beat the book but yet to see anyone offer to pay more when i don't thats how the trades work

I deal with service men in my bussiness also. Appliance repair.For every 1 dirtbag there are 10 honest, knowledgeable technicians.Unfortunately the dirtbags ruin it for everyone.

Service men and mechanics have the hardest job around.They are selling a service which thier customers can not see or touch.It never the less has a value and a cost.

He gave you " trade" price or level 3 pricing .... You never pay MSRP except at CTC .....it's an illusion .

I was a counter man for about 10 years , sometimes the garage will pay 12.00$ per rotor and sell them to you for 20$ plus install... You go to the same parts store and pay 25$ for them... In most cases it all depends on which counter person answers the phone ..

Randy

;)

I owned a 2001 Saturn Coupe (son now owns it) and it needed a hanger for the muffler near the tail pipe....no big deal I thought....went to Auto Zone and they were not sure if they could produce the right part but they would order it and in 5-7 days it would be here.......I thought by then, the rest of the exhaust system could be damaged.....so I called the dealer where I purchased the Coupe......I was quoted $51.....I thought that was a LOT OF MONEY for something Auto Zone quoted me for $22...but I said OK and I'll be right down to pick it up......

So I get there and low and behold the part is right on the counter but I have to wait for the guy to wait on me......while waiting I look at the part and the invoice on the counter.....it was the EXACT part I needed but had a invoice made out to a local Ford dealer for the cost of $17.....so when the "guy" came to wait on me I just stood back and waited for "my price of... $51"....that's when I picked up the part and invoice sheet on the counter and demanded the same price....well, around and around we went....finally I said "I purchased 3 vehicles from you guys, how many did this Ford Dealership purchase from you guys".....I finally got my part for $17 and NEVER purchased another GM product again....

BTW this part wasn't even worth $17....a glorified piece of sheet metal banding with a mounting bracket welded to it.....their cost....no more then $5 at most.

Bob

The problem with repair parts is that they pass through so many hands and each wants to make a profit. By the time you get it it has been marked up several times.

here's an example ....

2000 F150 4x4

front rotors Raybestos # 66947

cost to the supplier 16.00

garage price 22.00 total profit for the parts store is 8$

list price is 52.00 total profit for the garage is 30$

3 years ago garage price was usually cost + 15%...... retail was cost + 30-65% depending on what product was being sold/purchased.... garages make more $ on the part than the supplier does.

It's not a rip off or dishonesty... it's how business works... If the garage wants to sell at MSRP it's their choice.... 50/50 chance on a deal for the consumer... some garages are greedy some aren't and discount the $ and have a margin of their own... except CTC full retail on parts discounted labor ( usually ).

Randy

:canadian:

I would love to know what the people who are ripping on mechanics and garages do to make their money LOL. I am sure everyone who thinks they are being stung so badly, just donate their time where they work and they then live off manna from heaven....

Took a lot to be that civil btw LOL.

I owned a 2001 Saturn Coupe (son now owns it) and it needed a hanger for the muffler near the tail pipe....no big deal I thought....went to Auto Zone and they were not sure if they could produce the right part but they would order it and in 5-7 days it would be here.......I thought by then, the rest of the exhaust system could be damaged.....so I called the dealer where I purchased the Coupe......I was quoted $51.....I thought that was a LOT OF MONEY for something Auto Zone quoted me for $22...but I said OK and I'll be right down to pick it up......

So I get there and low and behold the part is right on the counter but I have to wait for the guy to wait on me......while waiting I look at the part and the invoice on the counter.....it was the EXACT part I needed but had a invoice made out to a local Ford dealer for the cost of $17.....so when the "guy" came to wait on me I just stood back and waited for "my price of... $51"....that's when I picked up the part and invoice sheet on the counter and demanded the same price....well, around and around we went....finally I said "I purchased 3 vehicles from you guys, how many did this Ford Dealership purchase from you guys".....I finally got my part for $17 and NEVER purchased another GM product again....

BTW this part wasn't even worth $17....a glorified piece of sheet metal banding with a mounting bracket welded to it.....their cost....no more then $5 at most.

Bob

Exactly! Sometimes ... dishonesty goes even further..... say a muffler for a 2000 Cavalier offshore manufactured OTC cost to the customer 32$ *one year warranty against manufacturer defects .... It's purchased from a dealer at a parts store for 16$.... an is then sold to a unsuspecting customer as a genuine bowtie part for 116$....Happens all the time , GM , FoMoCo , Mopar and ALL imports... Making money trumps service almost everytime nowadays......Here's a tip .... Mom & Pop operations usually have the BEST Mecano and the best price period.

****** THE MECHANIC HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PRICING THE SERVICE ADVISER/MAN DOES ****************

Simply put .... lets say Midas,CTC,Jiffy,Wally, ya know.. they're gonna get customers for ever, because of advertising..... Joe Blow's garage operates by word of mouth , If Joe screws someone , he's lost a tool box full of business , because of word of mouth, he's just screwed everyone and anyone that knows somebody that owns a car/truck, it almost forces him be more honest than the BIG TICKET..... I know the ins and outs of the auto parts business... no offense intended to anyone.. but ..that's usually how the wrench turns.

Randy

:canadian:

There is also a big difference in the quality of parts.

You can buy bargain rotors for 15 bucks, but a year later they are a rusted mess.

Brake pads are also this way.

Cheap bonded pads often squeal and fall apart quickly.

Keep in mind that your mechanic shop has a lot of overhead to keep the business going.

Insurance, tools, hoist maintenance, licensing,hydro, skills upgrading...the list is much longer I can assure you.

By the way, I run an honest shop....

There is also a big difference in the quality of parts.

You can buy bargain rotors for 15 bucks, but a year later they are a rusted mess.

Brake pads are also this way.

Cheap bonded pads often squeal and fall apart quickly.

Keep in mind that your mechanic shop has a lot of overhead to keep the business going.

Insurance, tools, hoist maintenance, licensing,hydro, skills upgrading...the list is much longer I can assure you.

Bang on the money Bernie!

And that is the reason for your long success in the bussiness Bernie.

My Customers who are really busy, are honest,expert repairmen. The ones who complain about how slow they are, are usually the ones who have screwed everyone in thier area at least once.

I'm a mechanic and I feel we get the short end of the stick as far as trades go. We need to be a an electrician, a plumber and a mechanic. And what do we get... no union, very few medical benefits and a very high cost in tools! Oh yeah and we probably get paid the worst too. But i'm not bitter.