OFAH lottery...never got the tickets?

fisher

My dad recently signed up for an OFAH membership. He now got a letter in the mail saying that they recently sent him lottery tickets to sell and that if he could either return the tickets or send the money. Problem is that he never got the tickets.

I will be emailing the contact on this recent letter he got to tell them.

Did he agree to do this to begin with when he signed up? How can they impose this on their members without agreement first?

My dad tends to over-react and I can tell you his first words were - don't renew my membership next year. He is old school and hates the thought of someone going after him for money - even though I assured him that they cannot possible force this on him. Anyway, curious if anyone knows anything about this?

They do the same with the calendar. Send it to you and then three months later ask for the money to pay for it. It is up to you if you wish to do so. The same with the tickets. When I get them, I just send them a cheque back with my name on the stubs.

It is one of the biggest ways for them to raise money for their projects.

I'm sure they keep track of all the tickets and will assign them as void if they don't get $$$$/stubs or tickets back from your Dad.

I personally don't like this type of fundraising practice, but it must be successful if they have been doing it forever.

They do the same with the calendar. Send it to you and then three months later ask for the money to pay for it. It is up to you if you wish to do so. The same with the tickets. When I get them, I just send them a cheque back with my name on the stubs.

It is one of the biggest ways for them to raise money for their projects.

lol the cost of them to run the lottery is higher than the amount they make... they give away 299 000 in prizes sell 760 000 in tickets but it cost them 777000 to run it for a loss of over 16 000 dollars.???????

Below is my email and the reply I got...makes me wonder how she "marked" my account not to send tickets in the future when it was my dad's account I was referring to and I never provided his info. Seems like a form email. I will have to send her a follow-up but at least I got a quick reply!

Good Morning,

I understand you are not wanting to participate in our fund raiser with buying lottery tickets and I have marked not to send in future. This is totally a volunteer option.

As we are a nonprofit organization we depend on these fundraisers to help us do the conservation we are involved in.

I apologize for the inconvenience has caused and we appreciate you as a member.

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

My dad recently signed up for an OFAH membership. He now received a letter in the mail saying that the OFAH recently sent him lottery tickets to sell and requested that he either return the unsold tickets or send the money. Problem is that he never got the tickets.

Did he agree to do this to begin with when he signed up? How can you impose this on your members without obtaining agreement first?

My dad tends to over-react and I can tell you his first words were - don't renew my membership next year. He is old school and hates the thought of someone going after him for money - even though I assured him that your organization cannot possibly force this on him.

Could you get back to me ASAP?

Thanks,

I lost most of my respect for them when they didn't support the move to a limit of 2 Rainbow Trout in FMZ 20...Conservation organization??? :whistling:

I still buy a book of tickets though! I like winning stuff...Even though I hardly ever win anything, well sometimes but nothing big...2 rainbows in the boat per would have been plenty....

Edited by Pigeontroller

lol the cost of them to run the lottery is higher than the amount they make... they give away 299 000 in prizes sell 760 000 in tickets but it cost them 777000 to run it for a loss of over 16 000 dollars.???????

I'm guessing these are just ball park numbers but I wouldn't think it would cost THAT much to run the lottery, otherwise what's the point ? Should be able to run it for waaay less I'd think. and yeah, negative billing sucks (this is what it is, let's be honest) and should be banned.

and I may be wrong on their location (see it every time I drive up past P'boro) but why does a non profit need to have waterfront ? do they do public ed or outreach there ? that I could understand.

I'm guessing these are just ball park numbers but I wouldn't think it would cost THAT much to run the lottery, otherwise what's the point ? Should be able to run it for waaay less I'd think. and yeah, negative billing sucks (this is what it is, let's be honest) and should be banned.

and I may be wrong on their location (see it every time I drive up past P'boro) but why does a non profit need to have waterfront ? do they do public ed or outreach there ? that I could understand.

nope not ball park figures... i asked revenue canada for there returns from last year... the lottery was run at a LOSS may be off a few thousand .. but over a 16 thousand dollar loss.

Edited by chessy

Wow, thanks Chessy.

Don't mean to speak ill of non profits but I don't like the sounds of this and I truly have a hard time understanding how it can cost close to 3/4 million to run a lottery. Hope they didn't pay for high priced help that sucked them dry.

Was last year an anomaly or is this a pattern from previous years ?

full disclosure: am currently not nor have I ever been a member of OFAH.

Guest chrisrobinson

The land was donated by a member, and the costs of the buildings were also donated or in-kind - no member dues were used. If you come into the lobby of either building, you'll see the donors listed (takes two walls for the conservation centre), and the story of the land donor.

Outreach does happen on-site, at the Hunting and Fishing Heritage Centre and the Shimano Fishing Pond. OFAH / Mario Cortellucci Hunting & Fishing Heritage Centre

You get what you pay for with Chessy's budget analysis - the simple question is: if the lottery didn't make money, would OFAH be doing it? For a proper assessment, you could instead review the auditor's report in our Annual Report (p.62-63), under the net fundraising line item: Annual Reports

Chris Robinson

OFAH

Thanks Chris ! I appreciate hearing from someone from OFAH. And agree, what would be the point of doing things at a loss, no one wins but the lawyers so to speak ;) There are killer prizes in this year's lottery.

Access to the Otanabee is a great resource and a great way to make the best use of your place.

cheers,

WB

The land was donated by a member, and the costs of the buildings were also donated or in-kind - no member dues were used. If you come into the lobby of either building, you'll see the donors listed (takes two walls for the conservation centre), and the story of the land donor.

Outreach does happen on-site, at the Hunting and Fishing Heritage Centre and the Shimano Fishing Pond. OFAH / Mario Cortellucci Hunting & Fishing Heritage Centre

You get what you pay for with Chessy's budget analysis - the simple question is: if the lottery didn't make money, would OFAH be doing it? For a proper assessment, you could instead review the auditor's report in our Annual Report (p.62-63), under the net fundraising line item: Annual Reports

Chris Robinson

OFAH

Well chris. yes you get what you pay for .. your anual report says nothing about profit from lottery just the number of tickets sold. on the paper work i have it breaks down the lottery and other fundrasiers and the lottery was at a loss last year .. i would suggest you go to head office and ask for yourself and come back here and say in a public fourm that i am WRONG ... again for a proper assessment call revenue canada and get the paper work and see who is wrong.. and i say again the lottery was run at a loss AND one more thing every other fundraiser you have you list the profit, but never mentioned the profit/LOSS of the lottery that should send alarms off on ever person that reads it.

Edited by chessy

After speaking to my dad about the Lottery and that he is not on the hook for the money, he said he may just buy the tickets next year (as long as he receioves them), but now after hearing that the Lottery is really losing money, I may have him reconsider.

So, I reviewed the 88 page report as Chris suggested but cannot locate anything about the profit/loss of the Lottery specifically. The only thing I do see is the net fundraising for 2011 was $136,254 on the financial statements (but this appears to be for all fundrasing activities). A breakdown of each fundrasing event would be more telling. The report does also say 413,000 tickets were sold but, again, no breakdown of the expenses.

Also, if you are raising close to $800,000 in ticket sales for the Lottery (I believe it is $2 each ticket), how can the net fundraising amount only be $136,254 for ALL fundraising activities (and there are a few of them)?

I'd be curious for the actual numbers. Chessy, can you not post the line by line numbers of what you have from Rev Canada?