The "Crappie" Days Behind.

Moosebunk

Snowing today and some down time before the Graveyard shift tonight... Good time to pop up this quickie. Fishing the soft water tropics in March for lakers, now it's April chilly craps from the boat. Guess ya gotta take what's given to ya and just roll with it.

APRIL 2.

Kicked off the early month sneaking away on a breezy monday afternoon to try my luck panning the black gold. Big chop on the water, I knew of a local communtiy hole that could give some reprieve from the wind and allow for some easy mining.

Well... fishing started slow. Water temps 43C and shallower this season. Under the sun pannies could be spotted here, there and just about everywhere, but getting them to bite under the light was a chore. It took dusk to approach before all turned on, then it was "float under" for a solid couple hours.

No real huge nuggets turned up, but the day was rich in numbers. Made out like a bandit before heading home for a late supper feed.

Spring12-031.jpg

APRIL 8.

Awake at noon post nightshift, my buddy Pat was hoping that Sunday afternoon to get out for a fish. Not having to travel to far, we just decided it best to join the weekend crowds on the local pond.

Arriving later on the water to cruise into a boat crammed bay, we chucked some jigs for a short time before heading off elsewhere. Fishing with Patty, I was hoping we would find enough solid fish for him to enjoy a take-out dinner. The bite did start slower, but eventually we got enough good crappies amidst the smaller ones and sunfish, to call it a night.

Magnet just gets it, and so that always makes for a great day.

Spring12-032.jpg

APRIL 14.

Brother FLOATY and I scribbled out a plan that would see me pick him up in Ottawa then make our way out for some fishing. First stop was all guess work to me though, and the fishing didn't go as expected. Second round meant we'd have to hit up a juicy bakery for some hu-jass lunch sangwiches on fresh bread, before dropping the boat in again and beating the water.

Come that mild afternoon, Kev and I just sat back and relaxed in the Bomber. We'd settled on some crappies, and while just laughing and letting the floats drop, we caught up and did enough fish damage to satisfy ourselves.

CHUK CHUK... BANG!!! Thanks for the day dood! It was a pleasure.

Spring12-040.jpg

Spring12-038.jpg

APRIL 15.

An off morning feeling weirdly ill I figured some short-term fresh air would be just about right for the soul. Getting away early, I found breakfast biting fish on the lake all to myself.

The winds building up, many other anglers still came out to try their luck for the spring season craps. A couple boats even came by to say a quick hello. The sunfish were one after another I told them, but the crappies... well, ya had to search them out a little more. Being I was the early bird that day, enough flying around and searching had already been done. It actually turned out to be a tough morning to fly away from.

Spring12-044.jpg

Had to try the LonnieLundShot!

Spring12-043.jpg

Spring12-042.jpg

Later that afternoon the girls and I took a walk into the back forty in search of sheds. We had the same result as last year with no deer racks to be found. I kinda wondered if the hunting camp out back does a better job of getting the bucks while the antlers are still attached..?

We were gone a couple hours and the girls certainly tired the old man out. It was a long-ish haul... really, but they had so much fun they returned home from school to do it again alone the following night.

Spring12-033.jpg

Spring12-034.jpg

Spring12-035.jpg

APRIL 17.

The day was calling for sun, cold and wind. To me, that's the perfect weather to hit the hills for some ATV'ing, cause in the woods the wind is nothing while the sun is all warm.

Waking the kids for school it turned out Summer was semi-sick with a Cold. I decided then rather than send her to school only to have her possibly sent home, she was coming with me for the day. We hit the Lanark Landing for breakfast about 8:30am and by 10:00am had the quad offloaded in the Highlands up near Calabogie.

Turned out to be the greatest medicine for both of us. Making a few different lakes our destinations, we spot hopped here and there for the next five hours while doing some hiking and a little shore fishing. We also had time for a picnic, and Summer climbed a number of trees, big rocks, and tried many times to sneak up on me through the woods. I'm not sure what she enjoyed the most but I can tell ya that my favorite part was every bit of it. Best sick day ever.

Spring12-046.jpg

Spring12-045.jpg

Spring12-048.jpg

Spring12-047.jpg

Spring12-049.jpg

Spring12-052.jpg

Spring12-051.jpg

Spring12-050.jpg

APRIL 18.

Got a half day out on Lady O with my dad before he ended up suffering a violent dose of the flu. Tough day of fishing made even tougher when we lost some tackle to an unmarked gillnet anchor rope. Fish weren't biting and I was left to wonder if it had anything to do with the hatch..?

Just making excuses.

Spring12-053.jpg

APRIL 19.

Itinerary was to start solo in the morning but come afternoon meet up with a buddy and his friends. Having to work 48 hours in the next four days it was felt I should get a good dose of actually "catching" some fish during that week of illnesses in the family.

Morning was slow... spent more time fighting the unforecasted winds and exploring than anything else. But, come early afternoon Chris and his buddies showed up and through the rest of the day we did alright to put some goodies in our boats, fish some new water, and enjoy a few laughs. Perfect way to end the days off really, and in some great company ta-boot! Thanks fellers!

Spring12-054.jpg

Three good weeks of fishing, friends and family time that no one can take away. And as I sit now looking ahead at the coming summer vacations, there should be many more days like these to come.

Good fishing to y'all. :)

Edited by Moosebunk

Awesome slabs and great pics as usual. I have yet to hit the soft water. Probably won't until I am on the 'Skat' at the end of May. Have been looking for sheds with the kids also with no luck. Lots of deer sign but no antlers. It has been several years now since I have found one where I hunt.