Going into the park for trout opener

muskymatt

I've got a trip planned for the Friday the 27th to portage into Algonquin park(Brent access) for trout opener and will be staying till Tuesday.

A couple of portages involved but we'll hit a couple Trout lakes.

Looks like the area is going to have a possibility of 15cm of snow next week..lol...should make it interesting.

I've got my usual blue fox, crocodiles, husky jerks and cleos that are proven to work.

Any other suggestions on tackle? We'll be traveling light as the portage is not on the easy level.

Even though your a Sens fan :blink: God :w00t: that really is painful :wallbash: I'm willing to give you some insights on some additional tackle that you'll require for trout :angel: Black fury spinner #2 dressed is killer for speckle trout :whistling: 3" White power tube tipped with dew worm is killer for lakers also :) but don't take my word for it... I'm a Laffs fan :rolleyes::whistling:

Worms will save your bacon if a cold front moves through.

Snow early next week, but there won't be anything left by opening weekend.

High of 9 for Sat with temps rising steadily from that point on, to well into the mid to high teens.

Unless things change the weather will be perfect.

Edited by solopaddler

Might not be too many bugs for fly fishing by then.

I'm headed north tomorrow. The weather is nasty, but what can ya do. Worst case, we burn all the firewood in the cabin and run out of booze :whistling:

I already packed a snow shovel :wallbash: And 3 sets of rain gear :lol:

Bring worms for sure. Spinners and worm harnesses worked just fast enough to turn the blades will get 'em, even in a cold front.

S.

X4 on worms. Small inline spinners tipped with worms is the way to go for picky specs

Our #1 presentation is #1 Blue fox or Mepps Orange inlines with worms,on a planer board. The worm box is full, also some Martins in the same color scheme, seems orange is the preferred but I've also got some pinks to try.

And always blue and silver.

There's lots of good advice here for you Matt, but one thing that I don't see on the list are Rapala Countdowns for Specks. I wouldn't want to even guess how many Specks I've caught on them. Size 3 or 5 is just about right. I always remove the front treble because it just gets in the way and can make a big mess in your net if you are using one. I've also caught my share of Specks with small Canadian Wrigglers. Good luck and post a report when you get back.