Weekend Algonguin - Trout?

colin519

Hey all,

I am planing a 3 or 4 day weekend up in Algonquin in the next few weeks. I'm wondering if anyone can give me any suggestions for an access point and lake to hit. Most of the information I've found points to lakes that are 5-10 portages in and that's just not gonna happen.

Are there any one portage accessible lakes for trout?

Lots and lots of info to be found if you look in the right places. I've come across a list of lakes that tell you what species they contain, as well as a map of the park, all online, all for free....I just never bookmark the stuff.

If I recall....you can drive right to Opeongo. No portaging except from your car to the water. It has trout. :)

Happy hunting!

Lakers or brookies ? As noted, Opeongo is where most go for lakers, not sure what motor limit is.

I like the west side access for brook trout although there are other interior lakes off 60 I hear the locals like.

Portaging will get you away from the riff raff ;)

Lakers or brookies ? As noted, Opeongo is where most go for lakers, not sure what motor limit is.

I like the west side access for brook trout although there are other interior lakes off 60 I hear the locals like.

Portaging will get you away from the riff raff ;)

Any specifics? West side access for Brook Trout sounds ideal. Don't really care whether it's Laker or Brookies but access from the west or from 60 is a must. I'd prefer not to do any lake with motors like Opeongo or anything too huge. Something small, with maybe a short portage or no portage.

Thanks so much!

People aren't going to be handing you brook trout lakes on a platter (especially since you've got 4 total posts), regardless if they are stocked or not.. You've got some good info here, I'd run with it.

Edited by BillM

People aren't going to be handing you brook trout lakes on a platter (especially since you've got 4 total posts), regardless if they are stocked or not.. You've got some good info here, I'd run with it.

Ya I appreciate that. Thanks. I'd almost rather figure that out on my own. I'm using the MNR guide to figure out something. I just don't want to end up going to a lake with pumpkinseed and pike.

I'm just trying to figure out where I can even get in along the west side. There is so much information it's hard to figure out what is great for an 8 day trips vs what might be appropriate for a weekend.

As far as the 4 posts go, meh. I come from a long line of fly fishermen and need some of my own tales before I can come here and brag about them. It's too bad there is no magical rating so you can figure out which posters are responsible, mature people who care about the fish they catch, and which ones sit down by the pier chaining smoking, listening to Nickelback and couldn't tell a splake from a rainbow if their life depended on it.

Thanks for the advice folks, I'll run with it.

Would agree with Bill M-run with what you have maybe

'Ralph Bice'--named after an old logger i believe may offer a good access point for you-Good Trout

West side access #3 i think

Opeongo is a monstrous lake by Algonquin standards- 10 HSP limit the last time i was there---2011-there is a water taxi service available if the Portage Thing is limited for you colin 519

Tim Lake has good trout--may want to search engine that if that access point is workable for you

In any event Good Luck on the Trout and be sure to report back here

Have FUN

Play Safe

Paul

CAW !

'Ralph Bice'--named after an old logger i believe may offer a good access point for you-Good Trout

Trapper and guide but not sure about logger.I liked the previous name better and wish I had met the man. Met his nephews when they had a shop on 11 but not The Man. His book is a great read though, you shld grab a copy.

I like the two access points just north of Huntsville. Grab a Park map and follow the squiggly blue lines ;) I remember on one trip I was being smart and decided to cut the portage down by lining the canoe and packs beside the stream a bit (was a muddy schlepp). Lo and behold I see wonderful finned things oblivious to my thrashing around. Didn't have rods that trip unfortunately....I can only imagine doing a few roll casts in that tight space and seeing decent sized brook trout on the end of the leader...sigh

Hey all,

I am planing a 3 or 4 day weekend up in Algonquin in the next few weeks. I'm wondering if anyone can give me any suggestions for an access point and lake to hit. Most of the information I've found points to lakes that are 5-10 portages in and that's just not gonna happen.

Are there any one portage accessible lakes for trout?

Algonquin isn't open to fishing until the 4th Saturday in April.

Trapper and guide but not sure about logger.I liked the previous name better and wish I had met the man. Met his nephews when they had a shop on 11 but not The Man. His book is a great read though, you shld grab a copy.

I like the two access points just north of Huntsville. Grab a Park map and follow the squiggly blue lines wink.gif I remember on one trip I was being smart and decided to cut the portage down by lining the canoe and packs beside the stream a bit (was a muddy schlepp). Lo and behold I see wonderful finned things oblivious to my thrashing around. Didn't have rods that trip unfortunately....I can only imagine doing a few roll casts in that tight space and seeing decent sized brook trout on the end of the leader...sigh

Wonderful-Finned Things Indeed They Are !

Appreciated wooddenboater--will attempt to grab a copy of the book---if i come up short on sourcing -hopefully i can PM you here for some direction--YES, would be a very good read for me

Cheers Mate

Paul

www.lake-simcoe.ca

Haha - I read your response and am reminded of myself last fall. Spent the entire winter in anticipation for season opener, doing research and making connections (online and offline) and piling my gear .... and now I think I am ready for another shot.

Just bought my last remaining gear and now ready for AP next weekend.

Mike - I bought the cart from MEC as you once posted a link on this site. Have you used this particular model?

Miro

Mike - I bought the cart from MEC as you once posted a link on this site. Have you used this particular model?

Miro

Yes I used to own one, it's the cadillac of carts, there's nothing better!

Eagerly anticipating the Opener. Probably won't get on the lake till 7:30 ish Sat if Im lucky. If you want to stop in for a beer Sat night I might be at Tea Lake Campground unless we decide to float tube it, in which case you'll have trouble finding me.

I'm heading in Friday morning otherwise I'd have loved to stop in for a beer and shoot the breeze. Too bad.

Yes I used to own one, it's the cadillac of carts, there's nothing better!

I'm heading in Friday morning otherwise I'd have loved to stop in for a beer and shoot the breeze. Too bad.

Shame Mike we'll have a beer another time but thats an open invite to anyone up in the park this weekend.