Aluminum boat layout

Lunker777

Hey everyone

I just pulled the trigger and purchased a new Polar kraft 1778WT

I have been mulling over ideas in my head of how I want to rig the boat up.

I'm curious to see what you have come up with in your rig, if you have any pics , please post them !!! :)

I want to go with a HDS5 unit, or an Elite 5DSI for a F/F but Im worried about battery usage. Would it be possible to mount a solar panel to assist with charging while out on the water ?

Also, where would you put the f/f, Bow or Stern ? MY current boat is a 14ft'er so I put the fish finder on the middle bench and I can view it anywhere on the boat. @ 17ft.... I don't think that will be an option ? I could place is on the split bench, but it would get in the way of seats.

Is there anyone running dual trolling motors ?? A transom & bow mount ??? I want to do this because come June, one of my fishing spots is CHOKED with weeds. It gets so bad some boats with 90+ horse power get caught up. So, for that reason, I want to put a heavy, 70-80# thrust, on the rear and a 55# on the bow. My thinking is that if I have to use a bigger trolling motor all the time, it would eat my battery up. I would say 75% of the year, I would only need 55# but there is those times where more would be better...also, I was thinking a transom mount would be nice for trolling. The price of fuel obviously isnt going down anytime soon... and trolling with a 40HP two stroke isn't the best of ideas. What do you think, should I just go with a big bow mount troller ?? Is there any other benefit to having a transom mount as well ? Better control ?

Any input would be appreciated, Thanks !!!

Hey everyone

I just pulled the trigger and purchased a new Polar kraft 1778WT

I have been mulling over ideas in my head of how I want to rig the boat up.

I'm curious to see what you have come up with in your rig, if you have any pics , please post them !!! :)

I want to go with a HDS5 unit, or an Elite 5DSI for a F/F but Im worried about battery usage. Would it be possible to mount a solar panel to assist with charging while out on the water ?

Also, where would you put the f/f, Bow or Stern ? MY current boat is a 14ft'er so I put the fish finder on the middle bench and I can view it anywhere on the boat. @ 17ft.... I don't think that will be an option ? I could place is on the split bench, but it would get in the way of seats.

Is there anyone running dual trolling motors ?? A transom & bow mount ??? I want to do this because come June, one of my fishing spots is CHOKED with weeds. It gets so bad some boats with 90+ horse power get caught up. So, for that reason, I want to put a heavy, 70-80# thrust, on the rear and a 55# on the bow. My thinking is that if I have to use a bigger trolling motor all the time, it would eat my battery up. I would say 75% of the year, I would only need 55# but there is those times where more would be better...also, I was thinking a transom mount would be nice for trolling. The price of fuel obviously isnt going down anytime soon... and trolling with a 40HP two stroke isn't the best of ideas. What do you think, should I just go with a big bow mount troller ?? Is there any other benefit to having a transom mount as well ? Better control ?

Any input would be appreciated, Thanks !!!

what type of fishing do you do most of the time?

troll?

cast?

jig?

drift?

cause that makes a huge difference...

i troll most of the time so i spent little money on bow mount options... i got a 55lb thrust bow mount cable drive and a 150-200 dollar sonar on the bow... the sonar works just fine...marks a jig in 80 feet of water... just doesnt have any bells and whistles and its black and white...humminbird 535...

an electric motor for trolling is ok if you have plenty of battery power for the length of time you plan on trolling...and its ok if you troll for extended periods of time... me... my spots i troll are very small and i would be restarting my main motor 50+times a day... that cant be good for the starter or the starting battery...id kill my starter battery in no time...

if you like to jig/cast/drift most of the time id get a good sonar for the front and put a cheaper unit in the back...and get a good bow mount electric motor with more then enough power... for those windy days ar fishing current...

i have a transom mount trolling motor and almost never use it...but some must use em or they wouldnt sell em...

I've got a 65lb Minn Kota upfront running off of 2, 12V batteries in parallel (Although I think a Terrova is in my near future) Humminbird 747c upfront as well running off one of the trolling batteries.. 2 bank charger for both of those as well.. Rear battery runs all the electronics on the console, big motor, dual Scotty 1106s and will run the Yamaha High Thrust T8 kicker once it's installed. I've got an extra spot in the rear for another battery that I might install, so 4 total in the boat, lol.

Edited by BillM

I muskie fish a lot. I went with an 80lb power drive v-2 with auto pilot. Casting for muskie I like to cover a lot of water so I put the speed at 50-60%. I can fish all day long and still have lots of reserve. I have 2 blue top optimax to run this and the bow mount HDS5.

I run a 75 Yamaha with another HDS5 on the console plus my Garmin 276C chart plotter. This battery also runs my bilge pump, lights, radio plus whatever other electronics are in the boat. I have yet to run into problems with the starting battery run short of power to start the motor. I am 95% casting, 5% trolling.

Walleye fishing, I can get 3 days from the bow mount before I run our of juice. I generally recharge after each use but in some occasions when I am backwoodsing, (is that even a word), I don't have the option of charging the batteries.

NOt knowing your fishing techniques, whether you cast from the bow or back troll or drift or face backwards trolling forward... It is rather difficult to recommend what to get for trolling motors. Personally, for my use, I got the biggest power thrust I could afford and solely have it on the bow.

My boat is a 17.5' Lund Explorer. Narrower than most lund boats but is common in the northern out post camps. It came as a side console and front casting platform. I added a top ledge to mount the tm and ff. I also constructed a back casting platform which in turn, gave me additional storage.

Cheers, Ron...

9 - How much did the entire project end up costing? Here's the cost breakdown of the total rig. Bear in mind, this is 2006 dollars.

$

Item

$4250

Lund SSV-18 boat

Lund boat cover

Cover support bows & hardware

EZ Loader trailer

Evinrude E-TEC 60 hp with tiller handle

Three Cabela's AGM 12v batteries

Pro Sport 20-plus battery charger

Minn Kota Powerdrive trolling motor

Two Humminbird sonars

Two 6-gallon fuel tanks

Four Tempress seats

10 stainless seat bases

Four 13" seat pedestals

Four stainless seat mounts

Two 3/8" sheets marine plywood (4'x8')

Deco Dot vinyl for floor (5 running yards)

Hardware: extruded aluminum; stainless steel nuts, bolts, etc. (high estimate)

Five nets for side storage

Portable running lights

Hatch cover

Rule bilge pump

Whatever else I bought but couldn't recall for this list

$20,075

TOTAL

Nice rig BUT 2006

$20,075 :dunno:

Edited by Misfish

I think Ron's answer nailed it - re wiring and product recommendations.

The DSI has been getting poor reviews and it does not have regular sonar.

Get a 70# or stronger bowmount trolling motor!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you want to save $, you could get one gps/sonar unit and put a mount at the bow and at the helm, with 2 transducers - that way you can have your really nice unit wherever u will be fishing the most. I am pretty sure that the Lowrance x units (cheaper ones) use the same transducers with the d-plug that an elite 5 does, for example - so u could possibly get an elite5 and a 125$ unit and switch them back and forth as needed.

Just my ideas.

If you call Jocelyn at Angling Outfitters, he may be able to set you up with great electronics at a good price???

Landry

i run stern and a bow mount trolling motors.

both are 80lbs thrust minn kota's.

I run two series 31 batteries in the front.

The bow mount and stern mount run off the same front batteries, connected via minn kota plugs.

Bow Mount:

hamilton22012041000099.jpg

Stern Mount:

hamilton22012041000100.jpg

The Stern Mount Plug:

img0679n.jpg

I use my Stern Mount trolling motors tons more than I thought I ever would. I picked it up really cheap. I would never consider trolling without it now.

As you note, I run a tiller as well. I'm going to eventually put a bow mount finder on the boat, until then, my stern mount, infront of your driving seat, is best.

I basically just completed my dream customization on my boat. However, I fished for 8 seasons prior to making my decisions...so lots of hours behind the decisions.

Let me know if you have any more questions...I love the tillers!

thanks for the input so far everyone.

Im aware that the elite 5 is DSI only, but will I miss 2D sonar THAT much ?

I think I will go with the biggest motor I can on the bow, and get a couple f/f units. one for the back and one for the front.

It would be nice to find a couple cheap Gen1 HDS5 units.

I have budgeted approx $1500 for rigging the new boat. I think I can get 2 HDS5 and a bow mount for that much.

Bbg marine were clearing hds 5 gen 1 units for 460 plus a 100 rebate with out the transducer. Free shipping with the states. Did that with my hds eight , a friend brought it up for me

Edited by danbob

I think I will go with the biggest motor I can on the bow, and get a couple f/f units. one for the back and one for the front.

I have budgeted approx $1500 for rigging the new boat. I think I can get 2 HDS5 and a bow mount for that much.

after getting it, I ran my DSI once before putting the boat away... i've been looking for a traditional sonar to go along with it now (old one stopped working) before i get out this year.. i get comfort from the arcs :)

Try this for a used Lowrance FF.........

http://www.bbcboards.net/electronics/

As someone already mentioned for your fish finders, go see Joscylyn at Angling outfitters in Woodstock, would be well worth the drive. Even if you don't/can't afford 2 HDS units, he has alot of used units he sells, and you can get into a good pre-HDS colour/gps unit for the price you are looking for. He won't steer you wrong.

As far as trolling motor goes, certainly the more power you can afford the better because you can always turn down the speed on a high power one, but you can't turn it down. I think the highest you can go on a 24v set-up is 80lb thrust but I may be wrong. To me 80lb thrust is plenty. I fish LSC alot with only a 65 and have no issues getting around. If you do happen to get an HDS unit, you can overlay the voltage from your battery so you can always know how much juice you have left, which is really handy. I run all my electronics on 1 battery with all the console gauges, starting battery is on its own as well so the electronics don't drain them, and my trolling motor is on its own 2 batteries as well, so in all, 4 batteries on board. I can usually fish with both my GPS units turned on for 2 to 2.5 days before it is fully drained. Of course if I'm running my livewell or stereo etc. that lenght of time goes down.

This is all on an 18 foot Lund.