Niagara Mixed Bag with Big Chrome

Tony and I hit the Niagara after chatting about the many options that we have relatively close to home this time of year. It can be challenging to pick a place and species, there are so many! Anyway, we decided to hit the Niagara River for steelies. Tony and I had not been out in some time, so we were both chomping at the bit to get out on the water.

We made a couple drifts and I missed one then hooked a tank. At first I thought it was a laker, but it quickly convinced me otherwise! In typical big steelie fashion, it went berserk and I had to be quick around the trolling motor and the rivets of the Lund. After a bit of a lengthy battle, it surfaced. I could see the 4" pink Exude worm in the mouth of a very big steelie. We nervously got the beast boatside and Tony did a standup job sliding the silvery specimen into my Frabill mesh. It was a spawned-out hen and my guess is around 13-14 pounds, and 38 inches long (rough estimate). I couldn't even get my big hand around the caudal peduncle. It was skinny, but extremely loooong! This chromer would have been really heavy before the spawn. After a couple pics, I sent her back on her way to make it out to the lake.

Niagara_04-2012_01.jpg

Well, heck, I was happy as heck and couldn't care if I caught another fish for the next hour lol. Well, that held true. It was a tough bite, and after missing another fish in several drifts, we started to move around looking for fish. We did find a good pod and worked them over. We got into a bunch of average-sized steelies, mostly on single Trigger X eggs, but did get some on roe and pink worms. I didn't take many pics of my fish. Too many steelie pics on the river over the years I guess.

Niagara_04-2012_02.jpg

Niagara_04-2012_03.jpg

This pussy cat decided a single Trigger X egg looked good! This was too funny. We had a good laugh at this one.

Niagara_04-2012_04.jpg

Tony was getting lots o love from the white suckers... or giving love, I don't judge lol.

Niagara_04-2012_05.jpg

Tony got 4 suckers on shiners, but no steelies. A bit surprising, but then again, the shiners were small and doubled up on his hook lol. Thanks again Paul for dipping us a scoop of shiners in the morning. Paul Castellano was out as well and into fish.

Niagara_04-2012_06.jpg

Niagara_04-2012_07.jpg

Niagara_04-2012_08.jpg

We had an absolute blast on a beautiful sunny day fishing the Niagara. I really missed the river over the winter with all the muddy conditions, and it was great to finally get out and make some drifts with a good friend. Of course we shared some laughs and busted each other's hump, part of what makes a good trip :) At one point the wind and current was making a good drift a challenge, and I mentioned to Tony how my line was not in the correct position. He said "sounds like a snag to me". On cue, a second later, I got snagged up and lost everything. Bugger!!! The next drift, my chair started whistling in the wind (yes, it does that lol). Tony says "sounds like the sound of a whistle trout". On cue, a second later, I get a hit and get a small steelie. Not that this timing wasn't funny enough, but what made this especially funny, was the hits were not coming every drift. It was a slow day by Niagara standards for this time of year. Good times. Can't wait to get back out somewhere for something!

Good fishing!

Aaron

Nice tank ! We were out today and was a little bit of a tough bite as well , 5 bows a sucker lol and a smallie . Water was perfect but didn't see many guys on lots of fish , we picked away but the weather was awesome so pretty tough to beat that

Hi Young_One, I use a three way rig for drifting (bottom bouncing) the Niagara. Main line 10lb on spinning reel to a small black three-way swivel. Add same line for a dropper approx 10" to a slinky. I prefer a 1/2 ounce slinky or less with precision boat control, but most prefer 3/4 ounce slinky for better bottom feel. I then use typically a 6lb Maxima fluoro leader 6-8 feet in length (longer for clearer water) to a small black Gammy octopus size 8 hook. I then add a single Trigger X egg or roe bag or emerald shiner etc. If my roe bags or shiners are bigger, I use a size 6 octopus hook.

For pink worms 4" and under, I use 8lb fluoro (10lb for 6" worms) leader approx 6 feet long, then use a bait needle to thread the line through the worm from the head down approx 2/3 and then through. I then add a small bead and tie on a size 6 gammy treble for bigger worms, size 8 for 4" or less. It is very important to make sure the worm is completely straight and has a natural look or you will not get many bites.

Structure is along shorelines from 10' deep to 30' deep leading to points where the water current picks up.

Good fishing!

Aaron