Float Reels

mbac31

Im looking for a float reel for my daughter but cant seem to find a smaller one for a 3 year old. I have built a rod for her but now need to find the smallest Float reel I can for her. Maybe someone knows where I can look. Might have to convert a Fly reel over maybe.

Thanks

A 3 yr old with a float reel? That is awesome. You have to do a vid of that once she gets used to it. I was pumped when my 4 yr old could flip the bail and cast a spinning reel!

I would go the fly reel route for sure.

I know there have been some 3.5 or 3.75 made. I think it was by ABI? But I'm pretty sure they are going to be hard to find and not cheap. I think Angling specialties makes a 4 inch.

How about putting on a push button on that float rod with a bigger float? just engage the reel when the float drops. just an idea. Nothing worse than having to deal with a big birds nest on a float reel.

Marvin that's awesome.

I'd recommend a spinning reel for the first few years myself, but if you're serious I have a source for smaller reels.

I had a 10' custom stick built for my 5 year old at Christmas. Paired up with a spinning reel it's a great combo for him which he has zero problems handling.

Only problem is he refuses to use it and insists on using dads $1500 float rod and reel. :D

Had him out last week. Obviously he can't cast far enough with the float rod, so I'd cast for him then hand him the rod.

He'd set the hook all by himself and landed them with no help. That day he put over 20 on the bank, some quite large.

Funny thing was he found it hard to hold my 13' rod straight up in the air so most of the time more or less had the rod pointed directly at the fish.

And he landed most of them pretty fast LOL! Without much pressure on the fish he unwittingly was using a modified Michigan Dirty (a name some friends and I coined for a very effective landing technique where you jam your rod tip in the water pointing it at the fish).

Here's a couple of short clips of the kid in action:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/N7gPhss8AmU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dbq1XgTH0N4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We really should try and get out together. If you're ever looking to bring your little girl and put her onto some fish drop me a line!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

wow! a 3 year old with a float reel? i have some adult friends that can't even handle one.

i'd also recommend a spinning rod, or even a push button. the kid won't get much use of something if they just end up unable to use it.

Marvin that's awesome.

I'd recommend a spinning reel for the first few years myself,

i'd also recommend a spinning rod, or even a push button. the kid won't get much use of something if they just end up unable to use it.

I'll third that option. ;)

She can use a spinning reel better then me allready. :lol: I had her using a Core 51 last summer in Newfoundland catching Conners and Makerel and Sculpins. She is Three but 40" tall allready. She is coming out with me next week when I go back home for Sea Trout. I may just convert a Fly reel for now incase she does not like it. I have taken her along with me hunting allready and teaching her to respect nature.

She will be scouting with me for Turkey again soon and this will be her second year doing so. I dont kill the animal in front of her but she helps in the cleaning of it and allready fully understands its for food and not for sport. Some may think this is wrong but I dont. She is asking me allready when can we cook the shorelunch fish again. Last Summer we spent in Newfoundland and she had a blast catching and eating seafood. To many kids are not doing this and it soon will fall to the wayside if we as hunters and fishers are not carefull.

I take her to the creeks, rivers. I show her sea lice, crabs, oysters and all marine life freshwater and salt. She and my son will be kicking my :asshat: before they are 5 years old hopefully. I dont see anything wrong with it as my Dad and Grandpa starting taking me at the age of 2

If money is not an issue, nothing says “I love you” more than a 4” Angling Specialties :D

Might be a little big now, but she’ll grow into it :lol:

There's the 3.5" ABI but haven't seen one around for many years. There's also the 4" Milner Kingfisher.

Very impressive smalliefisher.

You hit the nail on the head in regards to not getting kids involved in our outdoor activities. Hunting and fishing will soon be a thing of the past if we don't get our kids out there and enjoying it as we do.

Hope your daughter smokes ya with her set up! ha ha ha

Cheers, Ron...

I had a 10' custom stick built for my 5 year old at Christmas. Paired up with a spinning reel it's a great combo for him which he has zero problems handling.

Only problem is he refuses to use it and insists on using dads $1500 float rod and reel. biggrin.gif

Had him out last week. Obviously he can't cast far enough with the float rod, so I'd cast for him then hand him the rod.

Here's a couple of short clips of the kid in action:

Thanks for sharing the videos Solo.. My son will get his first exposure this year. I hope we can find a way to get the boys out together.

Adam

Thanks for sharing the videos Solo.. My son will get his first exposure this year. I hope we can find a way to get the boys out together.

Adam

Adam, is that you?

Not exactly sure which Adam, but I have a pretty good guess. :D

Would be great if you could make it up to my camp this year!

Adam, is that you?

Not exactly sure which Adam, but I have a pretty good guess. biggrin.gif

Would be great if you could make it up to my camp this year!

It is the Adam from Ohio. smile.gif

I'd like that. Same old story though... passport... but it is looking like it will happen soon.