Waders Do Not Make You Drown

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

I wanted to dispel a myth of waders, and that is if you fall in the water wearing them they will drown you since it came up in Simon's thread...

For years I too believed this myth until my employer at the time forced us to go through training on the subject. As part of training for field staff we were forced to jump into a swimming pool with waders on. You see, it's just basic physics. The water INSIDE your waders weighs the same as the water OUTSIDE your waders and thus does not make you sink. It's not good to believe things like this because it leads to unnecessary panic when you hit the water... I am a very poor swimmer and was able to jump in the water, swim around, then remove my waders while still in the water. I have zero body fat and sink like a rock on a good day.

I just wanted to post this FYI because I think it's important that people not fear something that isn't true, especially in a situation where PANIC is so likely to kill you.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

I wanted to dispel a myth of waders, and that is if you fall in the water wearing them they will drown you since it came up in Simon's thread...

For years I too believed this myth until my employer at the time forced us to go through training on the subject. As part of training for field staff we were forced to jump into a swimming pool with waders on. You see, it's just basic physics. The water INSIDE your waders weighs the same as the water OUTSIDE your waders and thus does not make you sink. It's not good to believe things like this because it leads to unnecessary panic when you hit the water... I am a very poor swimmer and was able to jump in the water, swim around, then remove my waders while still in the water. I have zero body fat and sink like a rock on a good day.

I just wanted to post this FYI because I think it's important that people not fear something that isn't true, especially in a situation where PANIC is so likely to kill you.

Good to know!

Edited by davey buoy

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Yup, they will not make you sink, maybe a little harder to get back in the boat with the extra weight of water though.dunno.gif

it is harder to get back in the boat and it would be advised to keep the buckles outside of your clothing so they can be easily removed in the water.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

it is harder to get back in the boat and it would be advised to keep the buckles outside of your clothing so they can be easily removed in the water.

Excellent advice!good.gif We become so accustomed to things that sometimes we forget to put safety first.

Always have an escape route or procedure in the back of your mind for those worst case scenarios.

Wonder if the pool you jumped in had a current to pull you down stream or an undertow to flow into your waders to drag you down...

You see, it's just basic physics.

your waders in clam water is not a problem

but in a fast flowing river

they became a driftsock, a parachute

and same for taking them off while still in the water..try it in a current.....

of course if you have the openings completely closed it would not be an issue

just saying, life doesn't always work out as school teaches us

While we're talkin safety

My buddy is a whitewater canoer

Always told me--if you fall in fast water--tuck your knees under your chest---if your foot gets caught in a limb or a rock---you can't fight current to stay upright

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i appreciate the "physics" of what you are saying but we also busted this myth.

the only time the waders will fill with water and act as a "drift sock" is if the person panics and tries to swim against the current. again, panic is the common denominator that kills, not the waders themselves.

if you slip in heavy current you are supposed to lay back with your feet facing downstream with your toes up. the flow WILL push you downstream but the waders will not cause you to go any faster downstream or sink.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

I had a chance to do these tests in school as well. It's one thing to be told something, much better to try it first hand. Wet re-entries into canoes and small aluminum boats were also very useful.

As a kid I wasn't aloud to wear rubber boats in the boat "because the boots would sink me to the bottom."

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i should add i took a scary plunge on a night shift one year during spring flows.

had i not known to not panic and to get into the "defensive swimming position" i'm not sure i would be here today as the water was cold and it was too dark to be able to tell the depth. thankfully i rode the current for about one hundred meters until i hit an eddy and was able to swim to the shore. my waders did not fill up despite the fact that they were a size 44 waist. i was embarrassed to be soaking wet but nobody saw. hahaha

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Anytime I've been over the top the waders have stuck to my body like glue. Other then a few cups of water inside, there was nothing.

Now if they fill up, you've got all that extra weight to lift out as well.. That would make it real hard to get into a boat/canoe/whatever.

so as long as you don't panic(I am sure most people wouldn't panic) as long as there is no undertow as long as there are no big rocks to beat you up or know you out, tree to get stuck under or a major waterfalls to fall over ( note to self, don't fish on the high side of Niagara falls)

your good to go and enjoy the trip down the river

LO

got it

Wonder if the pool you jumped in had a current to pull you down stream or an undertow to flow into your waders to drag you down...

You see, it's just basic physics.

your waders in clam water is not a problem

but in a fast flowing river

they became a driftsock, a parachute

and same for taking them off while still in the water..try it in a current.....

of course if you have the openings completely closed it would not be an issue

Agreed, and I say this from experience. A deep fast flowing river is a far cry from a swimming pool.

Also it depends a lot on the type of waders. Neoprenes wouldn't hinder you at all. They're more form fitting and are in fact bouyant.

Loose, billowing nylon, breathable or even worse rubber waders, especially without a wading belt cinched up tight are a major hindrance if you fall into deep fast water.

Again this comes from personal experience.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

did it come from personal experience? :whistling:

good advice to make use of those wader belts but make sure they are quick release like the shoulder straps.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

It's always good to make sure of something before posting it as fact.

not sure what you're insinuating other than your typical "know it all" crap. i've spent the last decade working in waders and won't contribute to the panic that leads to drowning. i bet had i said that waders kill people you would have disagreed with that too.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Just as a side note, why wear waders if youre in a boat?

i wore them for work a lot to access remote survey sites by boat and i wear them to boat to different holes on rivers.

While we're talkin safety

My buddy is a whitewater canoer

Always told me--if you fall in fast water--tuck your knees under your chest---if your foot gets caught in a limb or a rock---you can't fight current to stay upright

and if one finds oneself about to go over a small drop, let's say anything over 7 feet, tuck when you go over for the same reason as above.

When I was learning oc boating, we called it the holy s^#t position feet up pointing downstream so you can use your feet to push off any rocks that decide to impede your progress.

And if you find yourself in swift water, angle feet AWAY from the shore you want to aim for and make haste. If the water is squirrely, barrel roll your way past tough eddy lines/fences.

And if one finds oneself heading downstream through wave troughs, time your breaths at the peak and breathe through clenched teeth so you minimize water intrusion.

lastly, I know it's not something waders will bring with them but I consider a waist worn throw bag as good safety equipment. Salamander makes a very slim one that I love for whitewater. Used properly, could make an event unpleasant vs scary.

Edited by woodenboater