Trolling Motor - Electric Steer Noise and Spooking Fish

manjo39

I am going to be upgrading my trolling motor this year. I can't decide between the Minn Kota Terrova or Fortrex. I fish Walleye in the spring around weedbeds and weedlines. In the summer I pitch for Largemouth in very shallow water. I've read a lot about the pros and cons of each. Deployment, steering responsiveness, i-Pilot compatibility, foot pedal profile etc. I prefer the Terrova but for one thing. My one big concern is noise. When fishing for Largemouth and I want to move with stealth around structure in shallow water does the Terrova (electric steer) spook the fish more than the Fortrex (cable steer) would? Would the noise of the motor translate to the water?

Thanks

Hey Manjo39,

We just finished the install of a Terrova i-Pilot 80lb thrust on a customers boat. When i deployed the trolling motor and turned it. I was very surprised to hear how quiet it was. I now exactly what you mean by fishing weed beds and how nosey the head unit can be. I typically end up manually turning the head unit. But very impressed with the Terrova

Hey Manjo39,

We just finished the install of a Terrova i-Pilot 80lb thrust on a customers boat. When i deployed the trolling motor and turned it. I was very surprised to hear how quiet it was. I now exactly what you mean by fishing weed beds and how nosey the head unit can be. I typically end up manually turning the head unit. But very impressed with the Terrova

I don't think so as these motors have been around a long time and every one seems to catch fish including myself.Sure a lot quieter than a gas motor imo.

Hey Manjo39,

Thanks Henry. For the record I have a Legend and love it.

I currently have a Terrova and will be upgrading, but concerned about the noise vs a Fortrex.

The terrova make for a great walleye tm but if you like to fish slow and pick cover apart they are horrible compared to cable, your call but you wouldnt like it dock fishing:).

Thanks Dave ... made me laugh. (I bought a rod for "pitching docks" and plastics from Dave's classified ads - hence his comment)

Henry, what's the difference?

Also, Henry, if I go with a Fortrex the foot pedal is higher. I will be putting it in my Legend XCalibur. There is no "hole" to put it into to make the pedal more flush with the deck. If the pedal rests on the deck as is, wouldn't this cause more leg fatigue as you would be putting more pressure on your balance leg for long durations?

Henry, what's the difference?

Also, Henry, if I go with a Fortrex the foot pedal is higher. I will be putting it in my Legend XCalibur. There is no "hole" to put it into to make the pedal more flush with the deck. If the pedal rests on the deck as is, wouldn't this cause more leg fatigue as you would be putting more pressure on your balance leg for long durations?

As Hirk mentioned above, if you are movin in and out and following contours of weedlines, fishing wind blown shorelines, or other areas where you are constantly switching the boat direction in short distances then cable is the only way to go IMO.

AS for the higher pedal, it's not your leg that gets fatigued, it is your back and neck. Practice switching legs once and a while, it helps and after a while you get used to it.

I don't think the turn noise would spook anymore fish that your prop tearing through shallow weeds or just running the motor in general when shallow.

My thoughts exactly.

My power drive turning doesn't spook fish, but as soon as I use power to move, and everything gets churned up, the fish bolt!!

S.

• 1 month later...

Yes, Standing like Captain Morgan all day is not Fun lol. I think over the years Minn Kota has really improved the foot pedals. I know on my 18 Xtreme the Minn Kota Terrova Foot pedal is amazingly low and you can fit your foot right on the pad. The power drive foot pedal is more like your traditional one.