1st Fly Rod & Reel...suggestions?

Don't cheap out, it'll break like a twig! I'd go for an 8 wt buy backing rated for pike or bass, a good entry level is a temple fork combo they're about $130 you can grab it at bass pro.

If it's for bass and/or pike, skip the 8 wt and go 10 weight. 8 weight is ok for trout and some bass fishing but is not big enough to cast large floating bugs or large streamers.

Yes, get a decent outfit....especially the rod. I've been using a 14 dollar large arbour graphite reel for many years for pike.

There are some awfully strong rods on the market. Here is a video of a 10 weight fly rod being put to the test

If you do buy an 8 weight and you like it.....come back to this posting and laugh at me.

Edited by Dabluz

I would go with the 7/8 weight with a medium rod. This combo is a good starter setup because it will be more forgiving. As your casting skills improve your choice in weights may change pending on what you like but overall this pole will serve you well.

Rob I can help you!

Check out Madison River Fishing Company: http://www.mrfc.com/MadisonRiverShopping/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=4

They have a clearance section with some fantastic prices. You can refine the results when you search so it goes faster.

I've purchased from them many times before and they're great to deal with.

Just had a quick look and they've got Temple Fork Signature series rods in both 8 & 9 weight on sale for $70. (I'd go with the 8 weight, although 9 would be okay). Very decent rod and it's got an unconditional lifetime warranty.

They also have Scientific Anglers 2L fly reels on sale half price for $79.95.

They've always been one of the best values on the market in a fly reel and for your purposes would be perfect.

They even have a Sage Bass Taper fly line on sale half price for $39.95. That line would be ideal for throwing pike flys.

I'm with DaBluz on this, go with a 10 wt. for pike. I use a 9 1/2 foot 9 wt and a bass bug taper for bass and pike, generally throw big wind resistent spun deer hair surface creations or streamers with enough saddle hackle to make a small feather duster :w00t: Trying to force this stuff through the air with too light an outfit is more work than letting a line with ample weight carry it for you. Don't need a mile of backing, I can't recall ever have a bass or pike, even pretty good size ones run much into the backing, actually I prefer reels with an exposed rim drag like a float reel ( Hardy Marquis' or clones )for this kind of fishing rather than a disc drag. Put musky on the aggenda and I'd go for a 12 wt.

I've been using a spin bubble on my spinning gear to cast out flies for pike. The spin or casting bubble is basically a bobber you fill with water that gives you the weight to allow you to cast a fly. I went this route as I didn't want to spend more money on a set-up that I might not use as often as I would like. So far, it's worked pretty well for pike (i.e., large flies), but I haven't tried fishing with smaller flies yet. Anyway, might be worth trying this approach out first.

The type of spin bubble I use. There are other types as well.

2066-4.jpg

Example of a setup. The bubble is on backwards though.

1285711014_31011.jpg

For the leader, I have been using TyGer or Cortland Toothy Critter tie-able leader.

Tyger-Leader-Stainless-Steel-Wire-Leader-Material-Nickel-10ft-Package.jpg

51Ox9rScogL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

For flies, I picked up a bunch from Reelflies.ca like these. Started making my own now though - pike aren't picky.

Red-Whistler-Pike-Fly-2T.jpg?1328110552

Red-White-Bunny-Pike-Fly-2T.jpg?1328110552

Chartreuse-Bunny-Pike-Fly-2T.jpg?1328110552

Edited by FishLogic

I'd go with an 8wt too and overline it with a 9wt line to load the rod better. What you buy depends on your budget (not breaking the bank means different things to different people) but have a look at used gear, you'll get better gear for your money - drop me a pm if you want a hand with finding something.

Wormdunker - Troutfitters closed their shop over the winter and Ken is now running the business from home, still doing the guiding but the shop will be mail order only (unless you have a very big order). Wilson's are setting up a store in or around Fergus later in the spring though.

i build rods and i have yet to use a fly rod over a #5 weight. and most of my pike are over 32".

I wouldnt go to troutfitters for several different reasons the first being the store is closed for business now. Now thats not to say a 10 weight may sound better? but i would reccomend an IM6 graphite rod between 8 and 9feet thats around atleast a #6 wt. that way the rod can be used for more then one occasion, salmon, steelhead or for even large bass ect ect. and there is a big differance in your arm at the end of a long day of castingbetween a 6wt and a 10 wt.

as for reels, sawyer i beleve once said a reel is just a means to hold a line... i wouldnt worrie too much about a reel, a pfluger 1949 reel is for a 6 wt and costs about 30 bucks off ebay used. it will last and do the job. But fly line is more important for smoother casting, cortland and airflow make nice lines for that also you may want to consider sinking line or floting. and are at a reasonable price too ( i use silk lines so i treat my lines to float, and if i dont then thet began to sink)

and for a good streamer pattern to use for beginers would be a bunny strip. big and i had sucess with white and pink. ( in darker peat stained waters mostly, remembering fish see in the u.v light spectrum not just white light.) the pike love those! or a top water frog deer hair.

If it's for bass and/or pike, skip the 8 wt and go 10 weight. 8 weight is ok for trout and some bass fishing but is not big enough to cast large floating bugs or large streamers.

Yes, get a decent outfit....especially the rod. I've been using a 14 dollar large arbour graphite reel for many years for pike.

There are some awfully strong rods on the market. Here is a video of a 10 weight fly rod being put to the test

If you do buy an 8 weight and you like it.....come back to this posting and laugh at me.

With all due respect, a 10 wgt is on there heavy side for pike. I've successfully used 7, 8, and 9 wits with no problem at all. While it certainly won't hurt to use a 10, it will be more fatiguing if fished for awhile. Also, if you are throwing sinking lines like a Teeny 300, an 8 or 9 will cast it well.

Edited by bigcreekdad

I am finally considering taking up a different kind of fishing and need a little help. I am considering a fly rod & reel mostly for Pike fishing and don't want to break the bank, any suggestions for a decent entry level rod, reel and line?

Thanks

WW

Another option would be to look on Ebay. I've bought and sold rods there for years with no problem. Also, pike do not run long (like tarpon or bonefish)....as such spend more money on a good rod....almost any real will work fine. Having said that, if you think you might do steel heading or salmon, the drag is pretty Important.

Well....I have been fly fishing for close to 40 years for brook trout and I do fly fish for walleye, pike and landlocked salmon. I have a 7/8 outfit for most of my fly fishing and it does very well. I modify old double taper lines so that they end up being more like shooting lines (I shorten the front end and cut them to about 30 feet in length. I use an oval mono backing that serves as a shooting line.

When fishing large bushy pike flies and tandem streamers, it's a lot of work with the 7/8 rod. This is when I use my 9 weight rod and the difference is like night and day. Yes, the rod may be a tad heavier but I don't have to force my arm to get the large flies where I want them.

A 9 weight line, whether it is a sinking line or a floating line weighs the same. Ok, the sinking line is a bit thinner but I don't use a sinking line when fishing for pike. I don't use sinking fluorocarbon leaders either....I want my bug to stay close to the surface because the pike are in shallow water.

I will use a sinking tip weight forward line for walleye and landlocked salmon. The only time I use a full sinking line is when trolling for landlocked salmon or nymph fishing for brook trout in more than 15 feet of water.

Yes....you can use a heavier line on your rod and it does make the rod load up faster. Maybe a 7/8 weight rod with a 30 feet of size 9 or 10 fly line followed by a shooting line would work too. To make the fly line, you have to experiment a lot in order to cut just enough fly line to get good casts. I like to have all of the fly line in the air when casting large bushy flies. That way, only the shooting line will shoot through the rod's eyelet.

I started doing this a long time ago. There was no internet then and I don't even think that I even read bout anything like that in the few fishing magazines that I bought.

I love the oval mono shooting line because it is not wimpy like 30 lb test braid that some people use as a shooting line but I find that it gets too tangled up. The mono stays straighter and slips through the eyelets a lot better.

I make my own flies and I often use 3/0 and 4/0 siwash hooks tied in tandem if I want flies over 5 inches long. I make my pike flies big and bushy.

I'd go with an 8wt too and overline it with a 9wt line to load the rod better. What you buy depends on your budget (not breaking the bank means different things to different people) but have a look at used gear, you'll get better gear for your money - drop me a pm if you want a hand with finding something.

Wormdunker - Troutfitters closed their shop over the winter and Ken is now running the business from home, still doing the guiding but the shop will be mail order only (unless you have a very big order). Wilson's are setting up a store in or around Fergus later in the spring though.

Cuzza, you are absolutely correct in that "breaking the bank" is different for everyone. As I am just getting going with this type of fishing and take good care of my equipment, I thinking a budget in the neighbourhood of $250-350. In a brief look on the net I see a lot of rods (Sage, etc.) that are considerably more that…300-900 range.

To all, thanks for the info so far. I am learning a lot and can't imagine going out to a store without first asking here!

Cheers

I just bought my first fly rod, a st croix legend ultra 7 wt and it exploded just below the first ferrule while casting a 3 inch streamer. I was fairly surprised to say the least!

Solopaddler, whats the shipping typically like on rods from the madison river fishing company?

I just bought my first fly rod, a st croix legend ultra 7 wt and it exploded just below the first ferrule while casting a 3 inch streamer. I was fairly surprised to say the least!

Solopaddler, whats the shipping typically like on rods from the madison river fishing company?

It's cheap and usually their stuff is sent USPS.

I've mostly ordered a bunch of clothing over the last couple years, no rods, but their service and communication have been first rate everytime.

The signature series is calling my name. Not to hijack the thread here, but If im targeting specifically pike would an 8 or 9 weight be better? I fish st clair where muskie are lurking on occasion, yet I also want to be able to present to bass on occasion

The signature series is calling my name. Not to hijack the thread here, but If im targeting specifically pike would an 8 or 9 weight be better? I fish st clair where muskie are lurking on occasion, yet I also want to be able to present to bass on occasion

Personally I don't think you could go wrong with either. The 8wt is more than capable of handling large bushy flies...provided the appropriate line is used in conjunction.

The 9wt may be a safer bet for a novice, but beware, a 9wt will be the fly rod equivolent of a pool cue. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

I'm thinking the sage bass taper is what I need for line. Perhaps the 8 weight would be better. Thanks for all the tips!

Just to confuse you further...the Sage Bass Taper is one of the few lines beyond the skagit lines on the market that don't have a weight designation. (6wt, 7wt, 8wt., etc) Their weight is listed in grams.

Cool huh? :lol:

haha I noticed that as I was drooling over a sage bass II kit. I'm guessing the 290 grain bass taper fit the 8 weight rod?

edit: I noticed only the 230 grain is available on the madison site

Edited by Djeep

haha I noticed that as I was drooling over a sage bass II kit. I'm guessing the 290 grain bass taper fit the 8 weight rod?

edit: I noticed only the 230 grain is available on the madison site

Sorry should have been more specific.

A standard 8wt is give or take 210 grains, a 9wt is 240 grains.

So the 230 grain Madison is selling is in between the two but closer to a 9wt.

IMO it would be a perfect match for the 8wt.

It never hurts to up the line size when tossing big bushy flies, and that's probably just the perfect amount.