Back Lake canoe fishing

chuckymcd

Good morning ladies and gentlemen,

I am looking to do a canoe trip to a back lake on the weekend, somewhere maybe an hour or 2 north of barrie.

Problem is I have never done this before.

might throw up a tent for the night as well.

If anyone can help me out on a location or an area to search it would be great.

Looking at trout or pike I guess

Please pm me with any info please, its a little safer.

I have been be doing some research of possible areas online, havent found anything as of yet. or should i just pick a lake of google maps and give it a shot?

Thanks for any help it is greatly appreciated

Chuck

I know alot of areas but I think you should start your search with the Ontario fishing regs. As well the lakes will probably still have ice on them 2 hrs north of Barrie !

Edited by 4x4bassin

Check FishOnline for general species lists and maps. I'd say for sure the lakes will be crusted over. Certain lakes wil be open, but which ones? You'll have to check em out to find out. Aslo, some of the unplowed roads/trails might be snow covered or washed out.

Good luck though, I'm sure you'll find something worthwhile

Check FishOnline for general species lists and maps. I'd say for sure the lakes will be crusted over. Certain lakes wil be open, but which ones? You'll have to check em out to find out. Aslo, some of the unplowed roads/trails might be snow covered or washed out.

Good luck though, I'm sure you'll find something worthwhile

Good points here as well , alot of the back roads/trails are in real bad shape so if you are going I wouldn't be going alone, just incase

you get stuck. Good luck and happy trails :canadian:

Good points here as well , alot of the back roads/trails are in real bad shape so if you are going I wouldn't be going alone, just incase

you get stuck. Good luck and happy trails :canadian:

Thanks guys, i will be traveling with another guy. we will give it a shot, if we cant fish then we will just relax!

I have been be doing some research of possible areas online, havent found anything as of yet. or should i just pick a lake of google maps and give it a shot?

Thanks for any help it is greatly appreciated

Chuck

This could narrow your pick down a bit

http://hhoa.on.ca/hatchery/stocking

recent MNR stockings in the Blue box

Edited by dave524

Most of the lakes in the Haliburton/Minden area are right on the verge of opening up, but it will be dicey for this weekend. Smaller backwoods lakes usually hold ice longer than larger lakes that are affected by wind. You are probably a week early.

I think we are heading a little bit south of there, so I will be hoping its ok. But thanks for the update good to know!

All good points so far. I know you looked at the regs so you know pike is closed in Zone 11. Best bet for you would be to find a decent lake and fish the river mouths as they will be open.

Thanks Nip for the info, We will not be going anywhere near zone 11, so no worries there, way 2 far for a trip right now lol. I think we found a place to go. Dont know if it will have ice still , but going to give it a shot anyways. Thanks for all the info guys!