how do I fix this odd screw

skinny

ok SO I was working on my boat . I'm doing the new floor thing . when I pulled out the old ones I found this sticking up .

it's not in a real good spot as it's near the bend in side for the water line. I don't know anyone that can weld it and I have heard mixed things about welding as it work harden the alum.

inside boat look down from top

033-1.jpg

outside boat

032-1.jpg

031-1.jpg

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

that is the last thing I would be suggesting.

you didn't!

and to be honest, while i wouldn't want a full welded hull, i wouldn't think twice about fixing a small hole with a TIG.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

you didn't!

Nor would I suggest it... I am not fool hardy.

more then likely grinding it off will cause it to break the seal seeing as how there is no head on this screw, possibly causing even more damage.... even if he ground it off and didn't cause further damage, there is already little to no bite (thread) left on the screw on the thin hull... and cutting the screw will make matters even worse....boats take a pounding and vibration....

His best option is to drill it out and rivet it.

Or you can be his boat mate with a bailer in hand. :whistling:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Or you can be his boat mate with a bailer in hand. :whistling:

perhaps it would "likely" leak if you did it... hahahahaha... :jerry:

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Looks like a reverse countersink to me... looking closer I see a Robertson head?.... Thanks for the heads up Dave, this looks is a carpenters screw... it certainly does not look like a pan head metal screw upon a closer look... Looks like a standard carpenters #10 or #12 reverse countersink...??

Hence the reason for the filler!

I would remove this screw asap... as you risk galvanic corrosion and as said... Rivet and seal.

Thanks for making me look a bit closer Dave it was not easy to spot. :thumbsup_anim:

G

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i don't think you need to be a tradesman to fix a screw but keep pumping your own tires. :worthy:

besides, my academic days are behind me as i have been in the metal trades for the last year and a half. passed all my engineer inspections so far. to my knowledge the equipment i fixed is back in the mines doing their thing... besides, saying that the trades aren't "academic" is a great injustice to tradesmen as many are no more/less education than those in the science field.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

when someone asks a question, no matter the subject, i would expect different people would have different solutions.

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

I know it's hard to see in the photos but this is right on a bend in the hull

so I don't think a rivet will work

Settle the discussion, is it a metal screw or a carpenters screw.whistling.gif

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/mech_spec_epxy/overview/Loctite-Metal-Filled-Epoxy-Putty.htm

I used this on my dads old tinny.