crown land

bramptonjerry

Crown land in Ontario has artificialy pushed water front properties for years now. The Mcsquinty government is now in dire straits. Will they start to sell off their properties, and what will happen to waterfront property values if they do? The cottage market could crash, Georgian Bay could all of a sudden be not that valuable....I see that train a comin

I see the opposite.

I think you're right. Most working people have a hard time paying the taxes on water front property that's been in their family for years...let alone afford to buy what's available. Eventually only the very rich will have waterfront ownership as an option.

The cottage market crashing? Not likely, lol!!

As the gap between the have and have-nots widens how can cottages not drop in value?

Cottages like any other commodity are only worth what people can, or are willing to pay for them (same goes for the stocks in your RRSP for 15 years down the road by the way, ouch).

I think the original post was bang on, and why wouldn't a government that has seen 40% of it's tax base go off-shore consider selling some assets? My question is, to whom are they going to sell the land? Ontario's north could become affordable vacation property to the rapidly growing populations that have the jobs that we used to have here.

As a country, I am not sure that we ever recovered from automation of our factories. I am sure that we wont recover from the globalization of them. (The connection, for those that think I am straying, being that these are the places that provided a place for regular folk to earn their part of the near north cottage pie)

I found this to be a good read. It doesn't really support either side of the discussion, but all six parts of the article are interesting. You know, if anyone feels like reading about a subject rather than single line sniping it.

Jim

http://cottagelife.com/40031/realestate/buying-real-estate/6-real-estate-trends-in-2011/1

I found this to be a good read. It doesn't really support either side of the discussion, but all six parts of the article are interesting. You know, if anyone feels like reading about a subject rather than single line sniping it.

Jim

http://cottagelife.com/40031/realestate/buying-real-estate/6-real-estate-trends-in-2011/1

Interesting article although couldn't find a date on it. Likely 1+ yr old.

Didn't know Nippissing water levels were that low. May be worse this year. That sucks.

I have often wondered why the Province sits on so much crown land in the face of a massive debt and interest payment.

We can only hope that if they sell some, they do so in a responsible fashion.

We jumped into the cottage market last year with some fear. All the talk of a real estate correction.

Thought it thru and came to the conclusion that the Trent system less than 2 hrs from GTA was the place to go for

retention of value and more constant water levels during the summer. We'll see

peter

I know the Municipalities in the Near North would love to see Crown Land for sale. The recent increase in waterfront value has increased my cottage taxes by 400% and I haven't had any increase in services or amenities. Just a huge tax grap for the Province and the Municipalities. The cottages being sold in our area are being snapped up by the 1% that have the money. They rip down the 50 year old family cottage and slap up a Brampton Home which raises the assessment on the whole lake. :wallbash: Some of these "camps" don't even have 4 season roads in to them YET!

Dan O.

I hate to break it to you, but Crown land is still available for sale in Ontario... unless it's on a Lake Trout (cold water lake) which now has a moritorium to sell anything other than the shoreline allowances to the existing property holder of the "back lot". You just won't like the hoops you have to jump thru for capacity studies over 3 years etc to make it worth your while.

The op sounds like a crying Cottage Association member trying to protect their nest egg... many of whom's grandparents used the materials from the Crown land (that they now claim to protect) to build the nest.

I hate to break it to you, but Crown land is still available for sale in Ontario... unless it's on a Lake Trout (cold water lake) which now has a moritorium to sell anything other than the shoreline allowances to the existing property holder of the "back lot". You just won't like the hoops you have to jump thru for capacity studies over 3 years etc to make it worth your while.

The op sounds like a crying Cottage Association member trying to protect their nest egg... many of whom's grandparents used the materials from the Crown land (that they now claim to protect) to build the nest.

I fish up and down Georgian Bay and always wondered what would happen if the government would sell off waterfront around the French, Key, Magnatewan, Moon etc...those are the areas I know and I'm not an owner born with a silver spoon in my mouth. I always felt that these areas are artificially high to do the suppression of crown properties