Shed Hunting...and a Side of Snowshoe Hare

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

With the warm weather of today, and with an itching to find a spent antler, I headed out with camera in hand for a day of shed hunting.

Conditions varied at my favourite hiking spot. Deep snow in some spots, bare ground in others, and miniature ponds scattered amongst them for good measure. Regardless of the terrain, wearing only a t-shirt and having the sun shine on my face sure felt great.

I have certainly had a fascination over the years for finding a deer antler. But, for the many miles I’ve walked in the woods, a shed I have yet to spot. The signs were excellent on this outing – dozens of deer trails, plenty of scrapes, and scat everywhere. Sadly, after 5 hours and 8.6 kilometres of working the brush, I came up empty handed.

I did find plenty of this:

DeerScat1.jpg

And a couple of these:

SnowshoeHare2.jpg

SnowshoeHare1.jpg

As well as a flock of these:

Waxwing1.jpg

A great day out!!

For the rest of the images, and the full story, feel free to check out my site: http://justinhoffmanoutdoors.com/2012/03/14/shed-hunting-and-a-side-of-snowshoe-hare/

Cheers,

Justin

I've never been shed hunting myself. I just stumble across them while turkey hunting/scouting.

I would be looking specifically for beat down game trails.

There are some deer highways around here, that are trampled down to mud, even in the winter. That's where I'm going to start my hunt.

Also, areas that look good for bedding down. Areas with tall grass, along the edge of a fields. The scubby areas between bush a field.

Thanks for the tips and the article, guys - much appreciated. Yes, their are porkies around for sure. I'm wondering with our mild winter, they may have dropped early and been chewed up by now. The area does allow dog walking within it. Talked to a woman last week that told me her dog routinely brings back 5 or 6 sheds each season while running through the bush.

Ahh, regardless of finding any...always good to be out in nature.

Cheers,

Justin

Justin, been hunting deer since I'm 12 years old and never found any sheds while exploring the bush :o maybe because I never paid too much attention to them :blink: but I sure would seek their bedding area if I was looking... good luck with your hunt :canadian:

Tight lines

Leechman

Hello All,

With the warm weather of today, and with an itching to find a spent antler, I headed out with camera in hand for a day of shed hunting.

Conditions varied at my favourite hiking spot. Deep snow in some spots, bare ground in others, and miniature ponds scattered amongst them for good measure. Regardless of the terrain, wearing only a t-shirt and having the sun shine on my face sure felt great.

I have certainly had a fascination over the years for finding a deer antler. But, for the many miles I've walked in the woods, a shed I have yet to spot. The signs were excellent on this outing – dozens of deer trails, plenty of scrapes, and scat everywhere. Sadly, after 5 hours and 8.6 kilometres of working the brush, I came up empty handed.

I did find plenty of this:

DeerScat1.jpg

And a couple of these:

SnowshoeHare2.jpg

SnowshoeHare1.jpg

As well as a flock of these:

Waxwing1.jpg

A great day out!!

For the rest of the images, and the full story, feel free to check out my site: http://justinhoffman...-snowshoe-hare/

Cheers,

Justin/quote]

Speaking of porkies about, that sure looks like porky poo to me.smile.gif

Hey Jim,

Checked online - porky scat is more cylindrical and has a curve at the end. Fairly certain it is deer...but I could be mistaken.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Cheers,

Justin

i've probably seen thousands of piles of deer scat and that pile in the pic you posted is 3-4 times bigger than the largest pile of deer scat i've come across. i've never seen anything like that, but we don't have any porky's around here either. :D

i googled to see what porky crap looks like and i came across a few pics exactly like yours. like other critters, diet probably affects the size and shape of porky's in different areas.

NICE POST...NATURE IS GREAT ISN'T IT. THE WAXWINGS ARE COOL WHEN THEY START TO PASS THE BERRIES BACK AND FORTH TO EACH OTHER AND SOMETIMES GET TIPPY FROM THE FERMENTED BERRIES rolleyes.gif I LIKE THE RABBIT...BET IT WOULD TASTE GOOD WITH SOME VEGTABLES, A NICE GRAVY AND SOME PIE CRUST...JUST THINKING. AS FAR AS YOUR ANTLERS, YOU MIGHT HAVE TO GET SOME WITH SOME MEAT LEFT ON AND MAYBE 4 LEGS TOOwhistling.gif