36V Trolling motor setup

Sebastian

Been looking to join 3 batteries in series. I see the diagrams online on how to do it however im having problems finding single strand 6gauge wiring to link them . Been to Rona, Lowes, Home Depot and Princess Auto. All i found was super heavy duty 6 gauge with a positive, negative and ground wire within it. My motor receptable plug is a 6 gauge single strand wire....

Thanks.

There should be no "single strand" (ie SOLID) wire in your boat! Walk into Ideal supply.. they should have what you're after.. or just hit CTC / NAPA for some battery cable joiners in 6 or 4 gauge. Should be able to find them with ends already on and the right length to go between each battery.

Get multi strand tinned copper and proper size battery/wire lugs. Most marine places will have the right stuff or you could order from Stright Mackay. They have everything you need. And when you connect your lugs some heat shrink would be a good idea.

I wouldn't be messing with connectors, splicing tools, crimping tools, buying bulk wire and cutting it to size etc.

Go to CTC or any other 'fast food' auto place (the same cables will cost you twice as much in a boat shop) and buy yourself TWO of these:

batterycable.jpg

Once home, connect your 3 batteries this way:

36voltwiring.jpg

You'll also need a 50 amp fuse OR breaker on your red wire between the trolling motor and the battery it is connected to. It's always better to connect that closer to the battery. A breaker is more expensive but is worry free. A fuse works just as well, and cheaper but you'll need to have a spare fuse or two on hand in case.

It's painless and shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes.

Good luck.

I wouldn't be messing with connectors, splicing tools, crimping tools, buying bulk wire and cutting it to size etc.

Go to CTC or any other 'fast food' auto place (the same cables will cost you twice as much in a boat shop) and buy yourself TWO of these:

batterycable.jpg

Once home, connect your 3 batteries this way:

36voltwiring.jpg

You'll also need a 50 amp fuse OR breaker on your red wire between the trolling motor and the battery it is connected to. It's always better to connect that closer to the battery. A breaker is more expensive but is worry free. A fuse works just as well, and cheaper but you'll need to have a spare fuse or two on hand in case.

It's painless and shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes.

Good luck.

Pretty cheesy lookin cable there Roy. If you are gonna buy pre fab stuff at least don't buy all black ones LOL. 50 amps, how do you know that???

Pretty cheesy lookin cable there Roy. If you are gonna buy pre fab stuff at least don't buy all black ones LOL. 50 amps, how do you know that???

Most 36V trolling motors don't draw more that 45 amps. 50 is plenty, 60 is too much. Anything else?

Thanks Roy! I've never needed to connect multiple batteries and the diagram is idiot proof.

Would a 24 volt system be wired exactly the same way minus the 3rd battery?

Thanks Roy! I've never needed to connect multiple batteries and the diagram is idiot proof.

Would a 24 volt system be wired exactly the same way minus the 3rd battery?

Thanks Mike. Yes, same connection minus one battery. Mine is 24V with a 40a breaker.

Been looking to join 3 batteries in series. I see the diagrams online on how to do it however im having problems finding single strand 6gauge wiring to link them . Been to Rona, Lowes, Home Depot and Princess Auto. All i found was super heavy duty 6 gauge with a positive, negative and ground wire within it. My motor receptable plug is a 6 gauge single strand wire....

Thanks.

I'd also suggest buying the red and black plastic terminal covers. An accidental bump against an exposed post with vise grips can be dangerous. Don't ask...